Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today and for the first time ever, I swapped my wheels around.

The rears had 6mm and the front to 4mm.

So having done the necessary safety stuff etc and jacked it up, I rolled under to see where I could put the spare front jack.
As I did by arm caught something that rattled. To either side there is a long black plastic body guard tray held on by 5 round disc shaped plastic screws retainers. I pushed the tray to find it loose and when I checked all the retainers ALL were very loose! The same was found on the other side.

You can use your fingers to nip them up but I used some thin nosed pliers. Be mindful not to over tighten them as once you do they don’t seemed to tighten anymore.

You don’t need to take the wheels off, just reach under and a small torch would of use.

Anyway, thought I’d pass it on ?

·
Registered
870 Posts
I might have a look, cause every time I close the rear doors after the kids have climbed in, I *think* I hear a rattle coming from somewhere under the wheels. I though it might be the brake rotors' shields, but your hint may have pointed to another cause ;)

·
Registered
790 Posts
I pushed the tray to find it loose and when I checked all the retainers ALL were very loose!
Maybe happens after driving through puddles or maybe even airflow makes them lose over time. Either way, maybe worth periodically checking to make sure they are still secure.

Thanks for the heads up Psshaw.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
To either side down the length of the vehicle like I’ve said.

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
Never noticed that when I changed my wheels over or fitted mudflaps, will have to have a lie down in garage and take a look

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
To either side down the length of the vehicle like I’ve said.

Have you got a picture? I was under mine yesterday checking everything and I haven't got any trays running the length of the vehicle. There's the tray under the engine, plastic wheel arch liners and a plastic guard under the rear diff.

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
This isn’t exclusive to the Vignale by any chance

·
Registered
6,641 Posts
Rattle at the back could be a heatshield above the rear box. Noticed this occasionally on my first Kuga MK2.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I wondered if it’s got some kind of winter/off road pack. I’ll do a photo soon.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Just checked those undertrays, and yep, all these retainers were loose. Tightened them by hand as far as they would go. However, I *think* that there should be an additional retainer to the very front edge of the undertray, since there was a bolt sticking out. This retainer was missing on both sides, maybe gone or were they never there to begin with ?

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Mine were missing too and I thought that’s how it should be, otherwise it would be hanging down.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Did anyone manage to buy any replacement bolts? mine are very loose and I can't just plug them back in as the plastic is damaged.. any help would be very much appreciated !

·
Registered
625 Posts
I recently had some work on the motor and yep mine were loose and some missing, so got the garage to order and replace missing ones and sort the others out too.
Don't think they cost to much to get replacement's but will be a set ie plastic retainer and screw.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I've been laid under mine more times than I'd care to mention and can't remember seeing side trays?, has anyone got a picture of them?.

My be worth a retro-fit if I don't have them.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Had the same issue a couple of days ago driving along at 60 mph then an almighty tacket and the front end of the driver's side tray was on the floor.

Is it case of calling ford to get it fixed at every nut is loose and I believe some are missing?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts