Mr Modification
Ford Kuga MK2 16/12/2014 Titanium X Sport AWD 2.0TDCI 182HP 400Nm (T8MA) MMT6
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. Tonight I watched video how he changing clutch in our diesel Kuga:
In minute 01:10:17 he fitting undertray what is not existing in my car:
Black Automotive tire Automotive exterior Auto part Window
Hand Arm Black Gesture Automotive tire

I would like to have it but I couldn't find it. Anyone know what it's correct part number or name of it?

Thanks for any suggestions and help.

...also I thinked to adding those two large plastic chassis covers, but I haven't got fixings for them:
Grey Pattern Electric blue Composite material Engineering

·
Super Moderator
6,304 Posts
Aren’t the side body covers part of a winter pack? Unless they were fitted as standard on later builds.

Reactions: NigelB

·
Mr Modification
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Aren’t the side body covers part of a winter pack? Unless they were fitted as standard on later builds.
I know the side body panels are with all MK2.5 Vignale

·
Registered
2017 kuga 1.5 ST line
363 Posts
Just had a look under mine and i don't have them fitted. Sometimes they are not worth having as i have them on the merc and its a common problem that the brake pipes and fuel lines corrode because damp gets in there and no rushing air to dry them off when driving. So you don't know of any problems until a brake pipe bursts and you remove the covers and see the mess.

·
Registered
My other car is a Cougar.
216 Posts
Selection of KUGA undertrays here:

FINIS 5221730

Reactions: MaoVi

·
Super Moderator and Mr Grumpy
10,050 Posts
Hi everyone. Tonight I watched video how he changing clutch in our diesel Kuga:
In minute 01:10:17 he fitting undertray what is not existing in my car:
Interesting video. It would be interesting to know what Ford's book time is for a clutch. Some observations.

If a bolt is stuck I wind the nut back on fully and tap the end of the nut to remove the bolt or use a centre punch
He used a fork type ball joint splitter which are great for splitting the rubber as well
I would have thought he would use a torque wrench for flywheel and clutch assembly
May have been a good idea to replace crankshaft oil seal
I see bearing and slave cylinder are combined unit. Not sure I like that idea
He knocked off the dust cap for the brake caliper. I hope he put it back
I thought bottom ball joints need to be tightened with weight on the front wheels
Really surprised he didn't torque the axle nuts. I have had a 6' bar on those before today to get them undone. He had some decent tools and not sure how accurate their torque settings are
New clutch at 51k would suggest someone rides the clutch or car has done more miles. Mine has done 67k and my last car was over 100k still on the same clutch.

Cleaning the wheels at the end was a nice touch.

Reactions: davidoff

·
Mr Modification
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Just had a look under mine and i don't have them fitted. Sometimes they are not worth having as i have them on the merc and its a common problem that the brake pipes and fuel lines corrode because damp gets in there and no rushing air to dry them off when driving. So you don't know of any problems until a brake pipe bursts and you remove the covers and see the mess.
Thanks for this advice. In my car this centre frame is very damaged by chip stones. I will clean it again and apply some kind of undebody paint before I fit it (y)

Selection of KUGA undertrays here:

FINIS 5221730
Class man! Thanks for that (y)

Interesting video. It would be interesting to know what Ford's book time is for a clutch. Some observations.

If a bolt is stuck I wind the nut back on fully and tap the end of the nut to remove the bolt or use a centre punch
He used a fork type ball joint splitter which are great for splitting the rubber as well
I would have thought he would use a torque wrench for flywheel and clutch assembly
I thought bottom ball joints need to be tightened with weight on the front wheels
Really surprised he didn't torque the axle nuts. I have had a 6' bar on those before today to get them undone. He had some decent tools and not sure how accurate their torque settings are
New clutch at 51k would suggest someone rides the clutch or car has done more miles. Mine has done 67k and my last car was over 100k still on the same clutch.

That's true he is a butcher. He will do the job very quickly, what customer may like, less price -hopefully ;)
I waited to while when he will fitting 52.5kg gearbox back on the car :oops: also he used top oil fill hole. I didn't know about existing of it...

Reactions: smartguy69 and Andi

·
Premium Member
Kuga ST Line X 1.5 Eco 180ps 6 Speed Auto AWD Magnetic
2,386 Posts

I thought he did quite well, I too thought he should have used a torque wrench on the flywheel and clutch but then he may have his very expensive Fuel nut gun calibrated, and when he lifted that gearbox back in, well brought back old memories of rolling about on the floor.
Oh and he also looked like a Ninja with his balaclava on.
Fair play to him he's making an honest living.

·
10,050 Posts
I thought he did quite well, I too thought he should have used a torque wrench on the flywheel and clutch but then he may have his very expensive Fuel nut gun calibrated, and when he lifted that gearbox back in, well brought back old memories of rolling about on the floor.
Oh and he also looked like a Ninja with his balaclava on.
Fair play to him he's making an honest living.
I thought he did quite well too. Only other thing was I didn't like was the way he fixed the flywheel on without inserting the bolts first and getting the thread started with his fingers. Also not 100% sure if he put the gearbox fully in place before tightening the bolts or used the bolts to bring it tight up, face to face.

I guess I am being a little petty but the weight of that gearbox would be enough for me. I had done a few front wheel drive gearbox replacements on old cars and then did one on the Sierra. I had a jack under it but was surprised how heavy it was when I rolled it off the jack and onto me. Got my dad to give me a lift putting it back in.

Reactions: Psshaw and davidoff

·
Premium Member
Kuga ST Line X 1.5 Eco 180ps 6 Speed Auto AWD Magnetic
2,386 Posts
Yeah but do you remember lifting engines out with your mate and a scaffold pole. i broke a halfshaft once on my Wolseley 1500 and repaired it my garage in the winter, got the car all jacked up and stripped and then couldn't get the halfshaft out because it hit the wall, out with the hacksaw 🤣
I slid the other side out and then removed the diff to find the broken splined end and remove.
good job I got 2 halfshafts from the breakers.
Funny how you remember these things.

·
10,050 Posts
I think my wife would divorce me if I said I was doing the clutch or cambelt on the Kuga. I think she's used to me having nice clean hands. I can never wear gloves when working on the car and only use them for painting and filling the car up.

Reactions: davidoff and MaoVi

·
Mr Modification
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think my wife would divorce me if I said I was doing the clutch or cambelt on the Kuga. I think she's used to me having nice clean hands. I can never wear gloves when working on the car and only use them for painting and filling the car up.
Old school "you will not feel the work when using gloves" that's the words of old fashion mechanics ;) there is a lot of true, like when you assembly engine any smallest particles of sand might be very harmful and there is no chance to feel it when wearing gloves

·
Mr. Helpful & Still a Moderator
Kuga, Titanium X Sport 2016
522 Posts
If you check there YouTube channel they do to alot of clutches...years ago I knew a local owner driver of a Scania artic unit change a clutch on his drive..... 😯😯

·
10,050 Posts
If you check there YouTube channel they do to alot of clutches...years ago I knew a local owner driver of a Scania artic unit change a clutch on his drive..... 😯😯
Trucks are easy, just the bits are heavy.

Reactions: Psshaw
1 - 15 of 15 Posts