Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys
Changed my mirror indicator bulb today literally 5 mins aside so easy, no need for glass removal or mirror cover like many how tos I researched.
Firstly power the mirror glass towards the car and down as far as it will go.
You can clearly see the bulb holder in the top corner.
Just pull up towards the sky to release it as it’s just a rubber seal no need to turn or twist it. I used a forked trim removal tool and fingers to get it out. Replace the 501 bulb and slide holder back in (the fiddly bit) but it has a little notch to show were it goes. All done.
Great result as felt the original bulbs were very dim. Just the fronts to tackle next not looking forward to that lol
I used these bulbs seem good quality and same size as normal halogen bulb
eBay item number 113373731355
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-12V-24V-LED-AMBER-ORANGE-INDICATOR-SIGNAL-TURNING-SIDE-LIGHT-BULB-T10-W5W-501/113373731355?hash=item1a6599da1b:g:EL0AAOSwTAZdNqe2

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
So they're brighter than the stock bulb- have you checked how bright the light is at the tip of the lense (ie. for vehicles coming up alongside)? It took me a long time to find something better/ brighter- I ended up with some no name brand which have lasted well. The type in your link look to be a lot better quality.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I looked for a while opted for these as they have four leds at the tip and a ring rather than the flat kind with the leds just on both sides. Good visibility from all angles.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
no issues with them so far. i have just done my rear and front (pain in the you know what) indicators but used autobeam paid for good quality dont want to be changing those fronts anytime soon lol

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Have you got any issues with hyper flashing indicators yet? I tried some LED indicator bulbs in the rear (supposedly "CAN Bus compatible") but they'd intermittently hyper flash. I ended up taking them out as I didn't want to cut the loom and add resistors (required to fool the BCM into seeing the correct load.)

I ordered some white and orange T10's from Auxito straight off their website. I checked and they don't make the type required for my rear indicators (BAU15S.)

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
Remember that thread on LED on indicators where the devices are so bright. They got away not using resistors with it by driving the LEDs at full power and then dropping the drive level so they didnt overheat. I've still got them but I cant put them in. I cant seem to find the thread with the image of the comparison of LED and filament, but here they are, main flash and then rest.

You didnt order some then David?

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Have you got any issues with hyper flashing indicators yet? I tried some LED indicator bulbs in the rear (supposedly "CAN Bus compatible") but they'd intermittently hyper flash. I ended up taking them out as I didn't want to cut the loom and add resistors (required to fool the BCM into seeing the correct load.)

I ordered some white and orange T10's from Auxito straight off their website. I checked and they don't make the type required for my rear indicators (BAU15S.)
hi
no issues at all so far all flash normally and they are very bright. i decided to change as i was following the wife and the rears were hard to see in the daytime with the brakes on (led rears) and always thought the fronts were just as bad so hopefully going for the quality will pay off 581 bulbs front and rear on mine not cheap but worth it. SAVE20 code on their website at the moment but they have a ebay page which sometimes works out cheaper slightly as on the website delivery is added at checkout.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
You didnt order some then David?
No, the price was ridiculously expensive including freight to Australia. (The Autobeams look to be very expensive too- 26 pounds a pair!)

Which 20Twenty bulb was it again- they've got 2 "CAN Bus compatible" models

581 bulbs front and rear on mine
581 = PY21W = BAU15S (from a quick Google.) So the same as mine.

Are these are what you've got https://autobeam.co.uk/products/581?_pos=2&_sid=0176c5ec7&_ss=r ?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No, the price was ridiculously expensive including freight to Australia. (The Autobeams look to be very expensive too- 26 pounds a pair!)

Which 20Twenty bulb was it again- they've got 2 "CAN Bus compatible" models

581 = PY21W = BAU15S (from a quick Google.) So the same as mine.

Are these are what you've got https://autobeam.co.uk/products/581?_pos=2&_sid=0176c5ec7&_ss=r ?
yeah thats them good quality bulbs with 5 year warranty. 10% off on ebay today on 2+ purchase £25.11 instead of £27.90 does front and rears if thats what you have in the fronts too.

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
The ones from ABD were 581 Twenty20 HF0 LED Indicator Bulbs and £28 each, I sent them back as I wouldn't dream of putting them a car they were far too bright. They'd give people in front a headache or run into you because they were temporarily blinded.
You may remember the guy was having trouble fitting wedge lamps but there were also BC versions too, the following which are good. I did get a set, but yet to venture fitting if at all.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07KR1MGRX/ref=cm_sw_r_em_apa_i_Ncv8CbM9BNG3V

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
You may remember the guy was having trouble fitting wedge lamps but there were also BC versions too, the following which are good. I did get a set, but yet to venture fitting if at all.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07KR1MGRX/ref=cm_sw_r_em_apa_i_Ncv8CbM9BNG3V
OMG the prices are getting even higher!!! Those don't have any LEDs in the end- so you'd be relying on the reflector for all your light. It would be interesting to compare their output to a normal bulb (when fitted in the light.)

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
The Auxito T10 white LED bulbs just arrived. I ordered a pack of 10, that gives you 4 that are marked 12-24V "recommended for parking light, licence plate, side markers light" and 6 (that don't appear to have the regulating circuitry) "for map light, dome light, glove box light, door light...."

Both types appear the same brightness bench testing them on around 14V. The non regulated type are polarity sensitive.

The indicator bulbs are still coming.

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
The ones on the amazon link have them on the end and link draw 1.7 amp and at 50% duty cycle so should be OK David and at £20.99 for a set of 4. I did get a set and they are good. Not fitted yet if ever.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Ahhhh... okay there are two different BAU15S/ PY21W bulbs on that page. I'd clicked the first one which doesn't have the LEDs on the end and is dearer. Amazon UK won't ship to Australia and the brand "KaiDengZhe" doesn't come up apart from on Euro Amazon sites?

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
The Auxito T10 indicator bulbs arrived. They are a bit brighter (and slightly less orange coloured) than my previous "el cheapo" LED bulbs. I couldn't find a stock orange T10 halogen to do a comparo pic, instead below is the white Auxito T10 vs a stock Osram halogen T10. The picture doesn't really show up just how much brighter it is.

(The Auxito indicator amber T10 LED bulb seems to be about the same brightness.)

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
If it looks brighter than in your picture then it is bright. Mind you, you can measure the light output of both and you'll probably find they are the same, its just the shift in colour temperature, but that looks more than that..
Have you tried a white LED behind a red or orange lens. Interesting effect eh.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
A decent LED bulb in the mirror puddle lamps makes a big difference at night- that's where the white one has been fitted. Definitely more light output.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts