Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m looking at getting all years fitted in the next few weeks and was sold on the Michelin. Noticed that Pirelli do an all season and it is quite a bit cheaper. Anyone got any experience of both these tyres and in particular if the Michelin are worth an extra £35 each?

Particularly interested in the performance in snow.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Sifirest65 : I run the goodyear version, and were amazed in the snow. They have been very good in the 'other seasons' as well.

(last nights run at 4am on a wet night from Manchester airport tested the 'wet season' aspects for sure!)

link of half term report recently. and the thread goes on before and after.

https://www.kugaownersclub.co.uk/forum/30-mk2-general-discussion/13599-do-i-need-winter-tyres-15.html

Also see the link at post 140 - tyre review of all seasons.

Back to tyre blah blah.. The goodyears & micheys tend to be the top 2 on tests. The other manufactures have just jumped on the all season bandwagon.

The micheys (to me) are designed for longer winter periods like Germany, Austria etc and I have seen them a lot in Austria.

The micheys tend to perform better in the dry, Goodys in the wet. Being in Lancashire - err its wet!

Pirellis all season do get a good reputation, but I think wear could be a issue.
Micheys still have a reputation for cracking, and I had to bin a set with 5 mm left due to cracking, see other forums (Disco) and same said.

A few on the forum run the micheys, I ( I think) are the only one to report in about the Goodyears.

How's that for a start?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sifirest65 : I run the goodyear version, and were amazed in the snow. They have been very good in the 'other seasons' as well.

(last nights run at 4am on a wet night from Manchester airport tested the 'wet season' aspects for sure!)

link of half term report recently. and the thread goes on before and after.

https://www.kugaownersclub.co.uk/forum/30-mk2-general-discussion/13599-do-i-need-winter-tyres-15.html

Also see the link at post 140 - tyre review of all seasons.

Back to tyre blah blah.. The goodyears & micheys tend to be the top 2 on tests. The other manufactures have just jumped on the all season bandwagon.

The micheys (to me) are designed for longer winter periods like Germany, Austria etc and I have seen them a lot in Austria.

The micheys tend to perform better in the dry, Goodys in the wet. Being in Lancashire - err its wet!

Pirellis all season do get a good reputation, but I think wear could be a issue.
Micheys still have a reputation for cracking, and I had to bin a set with 5 mm left due to cracking, see other forums (Disco) and same said.

A few on the forum run the micheys, I ( I think) are the only one to report in about the Goodyears.

How's that for a start?
That’s brilliant, thanks for that. Hadn’t considered the Goodyear’s but will take a look

·
Registered
85 Posts
I fitted a set of Pirelli Scorpion Verde last year but as we didn't get much snow last winter I can't comment on how good they are....
Other driving they seem to be fine and seem to be wearing well (i.e. not a lot!!!).
Managed a very good price local to me (£500 for all four fitted).

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Just brought these for my dads focus rather than swap to winter tyres, as in Essex we rarely see extreme winter weather.

Found this video useful:

·
Registered
6,209 Posts
I've seen the cross climates with bits out of the tread on several cars which puts me off them but they are one of the best and get a good test so you cant argue with that. Any tyre with the herring bone pattern seem to fair well.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I have the crossclimates on my kuga (on the front wheels)had them put on last December no problem with them yet,will be putting on 2 for the rear in November/ December.Done over 10K with them.no cracking,no tread falling off,pleased with them.I do mostly motorway driving in the dry and rain,,haven’t tried them in the snow.

Ross

·
Registered
6,209 Posts
This was the worst I'd seen on a Micra. Zoom in and look at the tread and the sidewall. Goodness knows what they had been doing with it. I think someone has bee cruel with it.

Attachments

·
Registered
751 Posts
This was the worst I'd seen on a Micra...........
A Micra with knackered tyres? There's on one thing that springs to mind with regard what gender the driver probably was! grin:

Reminded me of the driver @ 0:33 in the Fuel Station video:
Remember to mute if you watch.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I fitted a set of Pirelli Scorpion Verde last year but as we didn't get much snow last winter I can't comment on how good they are....
Other driving they seem to be fine and seem to be wearing well (i.e. not a lot!!!).
Managed a very good price local to me (£500 for all four fitted).
That’s good to know thanks. Really tempted as the price does seem very good. Just unsure as to how they will perform in any snow.

·
Registered
6,209 Posts
If they have the snowflake in mountain symbol and M+S (Mud and Snow) on them, they will be fine, not sure the Scorpion Verde has the Snowflake in mountain symbol though.

·
Registered
85 Posts
They have!!!
Reason I bought them was for legality in driving in Germany in winter.....

As an aside - my partners Fiat Panda Cross has Goodyear Vector 4 Seasons fitted and she made it home via back lanes during 'The beast from the east' convinced that the 4-wheel drive was wonderful!!!
It was only when I pointed out that she was still in 2-wheel drive that we realised how good the tyres were......

·
Registered
579 Posts
They have!!!
Reason I bought them was for legality in driving in Germany in winter.....

As an aside - my partners Fiat Panda Cross has Goodyear Vector 4 Seasons fitted and she made it home via back lanes during 'The beast from the east' convinced that the 4-wheel drive was wonderful!!!
It was only when I pointed out that she was still in 2-wheel drive that we realised how good the tyres were......
2 wheel drive with winter tyres are better than 4 wheel drive with summer tyres in the snow as proved I think by Autocar. You still can't beat 4 wheel drive with winter tyres. Unless of course you drive a vehicle that has tracks instead of wheels.

·
Registered
458 Posts
What amazed me was the braking distance...

You apply the brakes VERY early on a snowy road, after all highway code says braking distance X 4.

THEN when you do stop... about 100 yards short of where you planned to stop! Err best set off again... So they work.

Back to tyre blah blah … (Not again mad skier!)… The biggest step has been a rubber compound that works over warm & cold temperatures.

Goodyear say: certain molecules do this when warm, they go to sleep when cold then the others start to work when warm.

Michey say the same but in more baffling science.

The other step has been the tread design. It HAS to chuck the snow out & not clog the tread up.

In the snow, even with a little lock on steering, Goodyears chucks out what I describe as snow macDonalds chips.
Love driving in the snow.

·
Registered
6,209 Posts
And if you drive slowly the chips stay on the road, well they do on the Nokian's, very similar tread.

Attachments

·
Registered
265 Posts
Tempted by the Goodyear cross climates, can get all 4 for under 600 which seems good. Just wish I could tell what winter we're gonna have. Had nokians on my Freelander for 2 years and not drop of white stuff

·
Registered
458 Posts
In 2013 In Lancashire we had this type of winter!

Just outside my house. A Vauxhall corsa was buried in March, it drove away 3rd week April!

Any 4 season tyres, winters or other wise do have their limitations!

Attachments

·
Registered
265 Posts
Might just go got these. Do you think the continentals I've currently got at 15000 miles, would be sellable ??? eBay ??

1 - 20 of 42 Posts