Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

messy wheels

2K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  KugaBex 
#1 ·
Hi guys,
does anyone else find they have to clean there wheels all the time. the amount of brake dust mine creates ( dont think i'm particularly heavy on the brakes ) is ridiculous. tried sourcing some ceramic pads for it to no avail. i assumed they would be the same as a focus or mondeo which cost wise would make sense but no, according to the dealer they are different

See less See more
#4 ·
I only use an alloy wheel cleaner spray about once a year, as it can remove the lacquer on the alloys. After waxing the car, dont be afraid to use the wax on the alloys as this make them shine and also easier to wipe away the break dust off.

#5 ·
I try to clean mine once a week but sometimes it stretches to two.
It is a bit of trouble setting my jetwasher up to do wheels ( I don't use it on bodywork) but once I've set it up it takes no time. I jet wash each wheel, which gets 90% off,then I get down hand and knees with a cloth and paintbrush. They come up gleaming.I find if you don't keep 'em clean the brake dust can congeal and set really hard. I use an alloy wheel cleaner now and again.

#14 ·
Hi Kugace
Two reasons why I don't use the pressure washer on bodywork.

1. I suppose its a hangover from years ago when one was scared to apply water under pressure to parts of the car that would (instantly) rust.(door sills etc.).

2. The washer will easily get the thick mud off and bird droppings but leaves the fine film of dirt on, that you were washing the car for anyway.

I suppose it's just one of my quirks.

#17 ·
Just thought I would add, pretty much as soon as I got the car I had them filled with nitrogen - see this link for details

http://www.vcars.co.uk/news/generic-trend-stories/drivers-urged-to-consider-nitrogen-for-tyres-407.html

I went to kwik-fit and they charged me £1 a tyre - having not yet replaced the tyres on my Kuga I am unable to say if this has increased the life of the tyre as yet, maybe we can get a poll of how far people have driven beofre they needed to buy new tyres (if anyone has yet?)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.