Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats the max weight you can pull with a Kuga? Is it 2100kg? Has anyone ever pulled its max weight with one and what did it drive like? I have the 4wheel drive model and want to pull a car transporter trailer and car on it

·
Registered
622 Posts
Hi Kugalau,

You do not say what your towing experience is, but if you are a novice then do not even think about towing at its theoretical maximum. The kuga may well be physically able to move 2100kg without damage to the vehicle BUT when the OVERWEIGHT trailer starts to sway from side to side (snake) you do not have a Kuga in hells chance of controlling it. The next view you will have of your outfit will be on its side or roof. The sensible and recommended towing ratio is loaded trailer around 85% of the towing vehicles kerb weight. The only time it is reasonably safe to exceed this is if you have a few years of towing experience. Please believe me you do not want to be in the position of having an out of control trailer attached to your car. It happened to me on my first trip out with a caravan many years ago, I was lucky to get away without causing a major accident.

Given that a car transporter and car will be at or above the Kuga's limit then it is a no brainer. LOL.

Regards win-doc.

·
Registered
73 Posts
The Kuga is supposed to have the anti-snake/wobble function on its ESP however which may make up for a bit more control. Anyone have any experience of this? My towbar is still on back order.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes your right the kuga does have this on its esp system,not seen it in action yet but dont really want to!lol Im an experienced tower to answer your question and unlike some people who took there driving test before 1999 who can tow and have B+E on their licence i have taken a special towing test wich is basically your driving test all over again, but with a car transporter trailer on the vehicle and part of the hgv test manovering and reversing not an easy test

·
Registered
512 Posts
Hi All
Sorted out some weights which may be useful, checked out on Ford site, and with my handbook for AWD.

Can those members with other 2WD and 2.5 please check and confirm weights for all.

Kuga 2.0 AWD<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

Gross Weight
2130 kg
Kerb Weight
1613 kg
Towing Limit (braked)
2100 kg

Kuga 2.0 2WD
Gross Weight
2060 kg
Kerb Weight
1573 kg
Towing Limit (braked)
2000 kg
Kuga 2.5 AWD
Gross Weight
2130 kg
Kerb Weight
1608 kg
Towing Limit (braked)2100 kg

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Kuga Ken,

2wd weights look okay to my documents.

Might add....

maximum noseweight = 100kg,

maximum unbraked = 750kg,

85% of kerbweight = 1337kg.

Edited by: BruceKuga

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
In addition i think the 2.5 petrol should have an additional cooler when used for towing...
dont have any more info but seem to remember my parts shop telling me.

·
Registered
13 Posts
As a member of the Caravan Club reading this months mag has a warning to look at changes to speed limits when towing in France. The limits now are based on vehicle all up weight (4 in car + fuel,luggage etc) and if over certain limits (from memory 3,500 Kg) the speed limits are reduced to 89 Kph on main roads 90 kph on dual carriageways and autoroutes. The example given isa Honda CRv which is above 3,500 kg and will be subject to the lower limits. The Kuga may be about the same so check out the links on the caravan club website. I will put in a link for this.

http://www.caravanclub.co.uk/news-and-events/news/overseas-news/2009/jul/speed-limits-in-france---update.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Kugalau said:
Whats the max weight you can pull with a Kuga? Is it 2100kg? Has anyone ever pulled its max weight with one and what did it drive like? I have the 4wheel drive model and want to pull a car transporter trailer and car on it

Not a problem towing a car transported trailer

I've been towing all year to various race tracks, even towed out to Spafrancorchamps in Belgium, and recently did a 950 mile tow to Scotland.

See this thread here :- http://www.kugaownersclub.co.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=5&KW=silverstone&PN=12&title=towbars

·
Registered
120 Posts
im with BHP, altho it really depends on the size of the car your towing..if its a Rolls Royce or Bentley..then your gonna be over your 2 ton...but anything under a ton and a half which covers mostmoderncars...and allows 600kg for trailer..biggest tip tho is take it steady..dont try and achive the speed limit...just relax..slow everything down..and you will be fine

·
Registered
147 Posts
My caravan weighs 1555kg and with surf boards and kayaks on the roof of the Kuga aswell its no problem

·
Registered
1 Posts
I tow a Swift 500se with mtplm of 1465kg with no problems at all, but I load the Kuga with as much gear as poss, The 85% rule = about 1345kg, so even though the Kuga is a geat towcar care should be taken if you are going to tow more!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi all we tow a Bailey Unicorn Barcelona at 1800kgs with not problem at all as long as you are not driving like a co*k then i think every thing should be ok, if you only look 4 foot in front of bonnet then you are asking for trouble.

·
Registered
245 Posts
crowds said:
What is the nose weight on the towbar for a Kuga, the Ford book says 100Kg but that seems alot is it correct?

crowds
The Kuga nose weight is 100kg as long as the product you fit is so marked if it is a new fit. A factory fit Towbar carries this info as required by EU regulations / and so marked.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts