Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
Ford Kuga 2018 ST Line X Magnetic Grey
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have had the latest version of the maps, sitting on a flash drive for months. I have also seen a few different details about the time frame involved for the install.

I have seen anything from under a hour to well over a hour. Now the shackles are easing slightly, could a few kind souls tell me their experiences, with the time frame with the install from flash drive to the update of maps.

Then i can plan my route and journey based on the information received, And finally and hopefully, get it sorted. :)

Thanks

·
Update Ninja
Vignale 2019 MK2 Platinum White
3,210 Posts
If you have them a while the they are almost certainly out of date. Do you know what version maps you have?
Installation can vary but normally about an hour

Reactions: NigelB

·
Registered
Ford Kuga 2018 ST Line X Magnetic Grey
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The car is F6, and i am not sure which version i now have on the flash drive. but it is around 25gb. I do not mind doing it in stages, once i know a rough time frame. If it is about a hour, that would not be too bad. 30 minutes either way.

·
Update Ninja
3,210 Posts
Latest maps are version 9 or 10 depending where you get the from

·
Registered
228 Posts
I have had the latest version of the maps, sitting on a flash drive for months. I have also seen a few different details about the time frame involved for the install.

I have seen anything from under a hour to well over a hour. Now the shackles are easing slightly, could a few kind souls tell me their experiences, with the time frame with the install from flash drive to the update of maps.

Then i can plan my route and journey based on the information received, And finally and hopefully, get it sorted. :)

Thanks
25GB. Expect 2 to 3 hours for the update. It has to be installed in one hit.

·
Registered
66 Posts
never checked which version of Ford maps I have. I use Google maps from my phone found it to be excellent with live traffic too.

·
Super Moderator
Ford Kuga 2013 Titanium X
1,288 Posts
25GB. Expect 2 to 3 hours for the update. It has to be installed in one hit.
2 to 3 hours 😳 not sure how you’re doing your updates but you need to get a better way.

The latest version including F10 maps, 47 minutes.

·
Premium Member
Kuga ST Line X 1.5 Eco 180ps 6 Speed Auto AWD Magnetic
144 Posts
2 to 3 hours 😳 not sure how you’re doing your updates but you need to get a better way.

I concur, did mine last Friday 48 minutes including the reset (y)

·
Registered
2019 St-Line Edition 2L TDCi 150 2WD
22 Posts
I don’t think it has to be all in one go. I updated to the latest maps a couple of days ago (22Gb) and it was done over a number of 20-30min drives. I simply left the USB plugged in. At one point I got a notification that the first part of the installation was done I think?

·
Registered
2019 Ford Kuga 1.5 TDCi ST-Line
28 Posts
It doesn’t need to be done in one hit. Did mine 3 weeks ago - took 3 hours but I somehow messed up the second part so gave up after getting a notification message (not completion one and hour wasted!). Took out memory stick and completed a week later when i plugged it back in.

It’s a painful process and you have zero progress updates just a notification not progress bar, etc.

·
Registered
228 Posts

That was my last update to F9 25GB, normal way by plugging memory stick into USB slot in centre arm rest.
Is there another way?

·
Registered
323 Posts
That was my last update to F9 25GB, normal way by plugging memory stick into USB slot in centre arm rest.
Is there another way?
The time will depend on the USB flash drive read speed. Although Sync doesn't use USB3 more modern drives have faster read speeds. The read speed is the limit in most cases not the USB 2 bus speed.

·
Registered
228 Posts
The time will depend on the USB flash drive read speed. Although Sync doesn't use USB3 more modern drives have faster read speeds. The read speed is the limit in most cases not the USB 2 bus speed.
I am using a Kingston Datatraveller 100 G3 64 GB drive. Dont know what the read/write speeds are.

·
Update Ninja
3,210 Posts
As I said in my original post and confirmed by @andspenka and @davidoff the latest F10 maps takes up to about an hour which also includes a full software update to latest operating system, and you do get a progress bar on screen, it’s all dependent on the source of the download

·
Registered
2019 St-Line Edition 2L TDCi 150 2WD
22 Posts
I am using a Kingston Datatraveller 100 G3 64 GB drive. Dont know what the read/write speeds are.
same one I used! (= cheapest on Amazon)

I did the system update first, deleted all files, then did the maps update. I waited around 25mins the first time, had to leave, and like I said, then just left the stick plugged until I got the message that the maps were installed

·
Super Moderator
1,288 Posts
Cheapest=not always best.

This one is similar to the one I & Ronnie use, it's USB2, doesn't need to be USB3 for software updates. Coincidentally, it's cheaper than the cheapest Kingston one on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-SD...p/B005FYNT3G/ref=psdc_430554031_t3_B06X9NSZRX

It's been said many many times on here, there's Ford's clunky maybe it will maybe it won't work way and there's the always will work way, which some people have got hold of and given it a bad name but, that always what happens when they don't know what they're talking about, they would rather bad mouth something rather than trying to understand it. I know which one I prefer.

Reactions: Psshaw and RonnieM

·
Registered
268 Posts
It's a shame I can't get f10 maps from Ford but only from another non-Ford source. If I go non-Ford I'm forced to have a different Sync version. Is it possible to have a different non-Ford f10 and stick with official Ford Sync version of V3.0?

·
Super Moderator
1,288 Posts
Yes and No,

You don't have to have 3.4 but you also can't have 3.0. The lowest version is 3.3

EDIT: Just to add though, 3.3 is 2 years old!

·
Registered
2018 2L auto 180bhp AWD titanium X Ruby Red
2 Posts
I can't believe a clever person out there hasn't found a way to update the maps without running the engine. Seems such waste of time and fuel. There must be way to trick the onboard computers to think the engine is running.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Yes and No,

You don't have to have 3.4 but you also can't have 3.0. The lowest version is 3.3

EDIT: Just to add though, 3.3 is 2 years old!
I have latest from Ford last year and still the current V3.0
A few weeks back Ford sent me Build 20204 but version remained V3.0 and f9.

1 - 20 of 99 Posts