Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2012 Titanium 2.0 Diesel. My front and rear courtesy lights don't come on. All the lights in both clusters work manually but not when the doors are opened. When opening the doors only the footwell lights come on. I bought the car a few weeks ago and they have never worked.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Hello Redjumpa and welcome to the forum matey.
If you could put your full Kuga details in your signature it will help others to sort your problem out.
It must have been switched off somewhere I would assume though, have you checked your manual?

·
Registered
690 Posts
If your 2012 Tit 2ltr is the same as mine?
I just looked in my hand book and the rocker switch in the middle front courtesy light should be centralised and not to the left or right.
Courtesy lamp to left is OFF.
Courtesy lamp to right is ON.
Courtesy lamp central DOOR CONTACT.
Hope this is helpful Redjumpa.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry I'm new new to this. Firstly it should be in Mk1 not Mk2. The model is 2.0 TD Titanium X Poweshift 4x4. 2012 reg

Reactions: Happyarry

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just looked in my hand book and the rocker switch in the middle front courtesy light should be centralised and not to the left or right.
Thanks for the advice but I've tried all the options above.

·
Registered
690 Posts
I'm sure there is someone on here with ELECTRICAL knowledge that will be in a better position than me to have a go for you mate.

·
Registered
901 Posts
So the lights do work (when using the switch) and turn ON/OFF, so switch and bulbs are OK, and also the door ajar sensor also works (since you say that the footwell lights turn on), it's just the Auto position that doesn't work ? Can't remember if there is an option somewhere in the menu to turn off the auto function of the cabin lights, but the other possibility that comes to mind is poor switch contacts in the Auto position...can't imagine how that might've happened though....

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
@Happyarry do your footwell lights come on regardless of which position the rocker switch is. If they do when the rocker switch is off, the OP's problem could be poor contacts in the rocker switch.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So the lights do work (when using the switch) and turn ON/OFF, so switch and bulbs are OK, and also the door ajar sensor also works (since you say that the footwell lights turn on), it's just the Auto position that doesn't work ? Can't remember if there is an option somewhere in the menu to turn off the auto function of the cabin lights, but the other possibility that comes to mind is poor switch contacts in the Auto position...can't imagine how that might've happened though....
I'll check the menu again to make sure I've not missed something. However I think that option only came in on the mk2. I'll also take the cover off and give everything a gentle wiggle!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
@Happyarry do your footwell lights come on regardless of which position the rocker switch is. If they do when the rocker switch is off, the OP's problem could be poor contacts in the rocker switch.
Thanks. Not sure, I'll check that.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
The issue will be in the rocker switch contacts.

·
Registered
6,654 Posts
Looking at the wiring diagram, the door open grounding wire for the cabin lights comes from a different connector than the footwell lights ground, so you might like to inspect the connectors on the passenger junction box for a plug loose or even water ingress. The footwell lights and cabin lights door open ground go to a common connection inside the junction box which of course is unlikely to have failed.

Redjumpa, at the rear of the light fitting is there a connector with one wire and a connector with two wires??

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Looking at the wiring diagram, the door open grounding wire for the cabin lights comes from a different connector than the footwell lights ground, so you might like to inspect the connectors on the passenger junction box for a plug loose or even water ingress. The footwell lights and cabin lights door open ground go to a common connection inside the junction box which of course is unlikely to have failed.

Redjumpa, at the rear of the light fitting is there a connector with one wire and a connector with two wires??
Will check for wires tomorrow, wife has car.

·
Registered
6,654 Posts
OK. Regards the light fitting, in the unlikely event that both front and rear light cluster has suffered the same fault which is oxidisation of the zinc plated steel interconnections, there is a test you can do to ensure that the switch in door mode is working. Basically with the switch in door mode and the twin connector still connected to the light fitting, shorting out the two connections of the twin connector, with a paper-clip or piece of wire should illuminate the the light. Note these two connections are not at 12V but are negative/chassis connections.

·
Registered
690 Posts
So I checked my front well lights:
Rocker switch OFF...………..well lights work.
Rocker switch MIDDLE...…..well lights work.
Rocker switch ON...………...well lights work.
So when ever I open my door the well lights come on immaterial to where the centre rocker switch is positioned.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
OK. Regards the light fitting, in the unlikely event that both front and rear light cluster has suffered the same fault which is oxidisation of the zinc plated steel interconnections, there is a test you can do to ensure that the switch in door mode is working. Basically with the switch in door mode and the twin connector still connected to the light fitting, shorting out the two connections of the twin connector, with a paper-clip or piece of wire should illuminate the the light. Note these two connections are not at 12V but are negative/chassis connections.
Thanks. Will test this tomorrow and feed back. OBTW is the power to the rear cluster run through the front cluster or is it an independent feed.

·
Registered
6,654 Posts
The rear is linked from the front, but of course power is there as you say it illuminates when you put the switch to manual. The lamp has 12V on one side and negative is provided by the manual switch along with a negative to passenger junction box that provides the door open negative, which are the two wires in the twin connector.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts