Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The missus had her 2015 titanium in for a Ford dealership service today and she recieved a phone call about the coolant being low and needed topping up, asked why and they said possible leak but then again nothing to worry about..
Then she said the brake fluid need replacing as it was last done in 2017.
So the missus said the brake fluid was changed last year 12mths after we bought it as you cahrges £30 to do it....
So they said its down on their system as not been done since 2017 and the car is also on their system still under the previous owner name....
Asked why this is and they havent a clue why.....

So when she collected the car the service notes said nothing but notes saying the break fluid was topped up when it was actually the coolant that required raising in the reservior from low mark to the middle...

Can dealerships be trusted im now unsure that they can tbh as ive heard some bad things about this place the past few years...

We have a 3rd service due next november and after that i may have it taken to the guy who does the MOT as he is pretty honest and decent....

Totally clueless

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
Your clearly inspired by their attention to detail and they obviously want you to use them again.

·
Registered
320 Posts
not all dealers can be trusted,going back to when I worked for Ford. there is a Ford dealership down the road from our factory we used to take our cars there for Services as it was convenient.One of my work colleague’s took his car there for a service,but before that he took the car there he took the spark plugs out and painted the tops red.They told him they had changed the plugs but when he looked they were same ones he had painted.Another colleague had his car stolen from inside the service area,they looked at the cctv and the car was in the service area with the bonnet up and someone walked in closed the bonnet and drove off.They found they car in Rochdale ( Was taken in Treforest,Pontypridd).there are other tails about this dealer.so no you can’t trust all dealers.

Ross

·
Registered
997 Posts
They then wonder why people get arsey about lifting the bonnet, like I do to make sure that all has been done correctly. Of course all you get is, “that doesn’t happen at this dealership” sir.

I’m having a mid service oil and filter change on Saturday I will check to make sure all Hans been done right.

That fact that they have topped up one thing but said another, begs the. Question that someone doesn’t know what there doing.

Service desk staff become somewhat knowledgeable from experience but it only takes someone with a bit of something about them to catch the out on the BS spcheel.

·
Registered
997 Posts
When I went to tech college in my years as app diesel fitter (1976x1980) the same lads who worked at Appleyards (leyland dealer) used to say all the time that a car service required spark plugs but they’d clean them up and keep the new ones to sell or keep foe themselves and the customers were none the wiser.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
My local independent (in business since 1946 so they must be doing something right) simply bags up all of the replaced components and pops them in the boot.

I had a run-in with a Nissan dealer once and asked them at the next service for 'all of the replaced parts please'.

·
Registered
320 Posts
The factory I worked in was the motorcraft factory where we made the spark plugs,we could change the plugs when we wanted,but my colleague left them there to see if they would change them,,they failed..we later made plugs for unipart,AC Delco,autolite,splitfire (splitfire they were the worst plugs we ever made)and a few other brands.(When Ford sold us to Allied signal)

Ross

·
Registered
320 Posts
The factory I worked in was the motorcraft factory where we made the spark plugs,we could change the plugs when we wanted,but my colleague left them there to see if they would change them,,they failed..we later made plugs for unipart,AC Delco,autolite,splitfire (splitfire they were the worst plugs we ever made)and a few other brands.(When Ford sold us to Allied signal)

Ross

·
Registered
320 Posts
Don’t know that came out twice—SORRY

·
Registered
513 Posts
There are very few garages I would trust with my car especially if they are a national company. However some independent I wouldn't trust either. My last car needed a service and cam belt and took it to a garage I had used before. They told me that the cam belt tensioner may want replacing but wouldn't be able to confirm until they stripped it down. It would add about another £130 to the bill if it needed one. When I went to pick the car up before I had even asked what had been done he whipped the tensioner from under the counter and showed me my "old one". I don't know why but I felt like it could have been off any car. I asked could I have a look at the old belt and he went and checked and said it had been thrown away and they had had their bins emptied that afternoon. When I got home I checked the bill and they had charged me for 5 litres of oil. The car took 4.2 litres and whilst that's not much they had charged me £14 per litre + vat.

The next day I took the top part of the cam cover off and could see it had a continental belt fitted which is what they said they would fit but I still had my suspicions about the tensioner. I never took my car back there and did all the oil changes myself after that.

Just for the record they also put the wrong grade of low ash oil in my car and I could have bought the correct mazda oil from the agent for nearly half the price. I could also have got a continental timing belt kit for just a little more than than what they charged me for the tensioner. The kit included the rollers which weren't replaced.

Not sure where my Kuga will go when it's due it's service in January but it won't be going to EH.

·
Registered
118 Posts
When I had my previous motor the main dealer fitted the replacement shocks 180 degrees out, the car was creaking and groaning once I had driven 360 miles to Cornwall. I took it to a dealer in Cornwall who found the prob, arranged a loan car and also dealt with my local garage to get them to pay for the corrective work, as JLR said they had paid once under warranty and weren’t interested.

At present my Kuga has been in the dealers to have a leak repaired in the sun roof since last Wednesday, said the glass needed rebonding, but since found it is not bonded but held with bolts, pretty knowledgeable staff ! They have ordered parts and are still waiting for them, so may not get the car back till Thursday, perhaps the Kugas are so rare there are no parts around. Their customer service is appalling, you can never get through to anyone on the phone, you leave a message and they never reply. It was only yesterday when I really lost it, I tried to speak to the Service Adviser, Service Manager and Workshop Manager, who were all away from their phones, and the Dealer Principal who was on holiday. It was only when I said I was on my way there to sort it out that they called back.
I don’t hold out much hope as the Service Manager used to be at the JLR dealership before he moved to Ford.
There is no other dealership local so not sure what to do about next years service, it would certainly put me off from buying another Ford.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
There are very few garages I would trust with my car especially if they are a national company. However some independent I wouldn't trust either. My last car needed a service and cam belt and took it to a garage I had used before. They told me that the cam belt tensioner may want replacing but wouldn't be able to confirm until they stripped it down. It would add about another £130 to the bill if it needed one. When I went to pick the car up before I had even asked what had been done he whipped the tensioner from under the counter and showed me my "old one". I don't know why but I felt like it could have been off any car. I asked could I have a look at the old belt and he went and checked and said it had been thrown away and they had had their bins emptied that afternoon. When I got home I checked the bill and they had charged me for 5 litres of oil. The car took 4.2 litres and whilst that's not much they had charged me £14 per litre + vat.

The next day I took the top part of the cam cover off and could see it had a continental belt fitted which is what they said they would fit but I still had my suspicions about the tensioner. I never took my car back there and did all the oil changes myself after that.

Just for the record they also put the wrong grade of low ash oil in my car and I could have bought the correct mazda oil from the agent for nearly half the price. I could also have got a continental timing belt kit for just a little more than than what they charged me for the tensioner. The kit included the rollers which weren't replaced.

Not sure where my Kuga will go when it's due it's service in January but it won't be going to EH.
Our usual mechanic moved his business about 3miles away and its a pain to.leave it there and get back to collect the car...
As it would mean using public transport(bus)..
Just not so convienient anymore..

So we are using another guy recommended last year and he did our MOT and he is always busy premises are clean and he trains apprentices aswell....
So after next years ford service we will use that guy....

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Can alwa
When I had my previous motor the main dealer fitted the replacement shocks 180 degrees out, the car was creaking and groaning once I had driven 360 miles to Cornwall. I took it to a dealer in Cornwall who found the prob, arranged a loan car and also dealt with my local garage to get them to pay for the corrective work, as JLR said they had paid once under warranty and weren’t interested.

At present my Kuga has been in the dealers to have a leak repaired in the sun roof since last Wednesday, said the glass needed rebonding, but since found it is not bonded but held with bolts, pretty knowledgeable staff ! They have ordered parts and are still waiting for them, so may not get the car back till Thursday, perhaps the Kugas are so rare there are no parts around. Their customer service is appalling, you can never get through to anyone on the phone, you leave a message and they never reply. It was only yesterday when I really lost it, I tried to speak to the Service Adviser, Service Manager and Workshop Manager, who were all away from their phones, and the Dealer Principal who was on holiday. It was only when I said I was on my way there to sort it out that they called back.
I don’t hold out much hope as the Service Manager used to be at the JLR dealership before he moved to Ford.
There is no other dealership local so not sure what to do about next years service, it would certainly put me off from buying another Ford.
you ask for a mechanic recommendation for your surrounding area!

·
Registered
997 Posts
I don’t what it about some main dealers that makes them 💩.

My interpretation is that they just don’t carry the same high quality that is synonymous with other brands, ie Audi etc. Yeah I know all manufacturers can have issues but it’s like working for Harrods, where you are expected to be smart, polite and care. (I guess)
Where Ford are probably are similar to the pound shop. Lol.

Best way I could described it I suppose.

I found Audi to be OTT but Ford, from my experience are like “wide boys and bullshit’ish.

Ford dealers forget that if like many you buy a new car, say the Kuga Vignale at £39000 then you expect that kind of premium service but I just feel that they think it’s a Ford, so get over it, you’ve bought it what did you expect.

I will say from all the Fords I’ve had, not had that many real issues, with only one MK1 Kuga causing me a new clutch which didn’t resolve the issue along with DPF issues as well. Rest have been very good.

Just my opinion and thoughts from experience.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Further update to above post, parts arrived from Ford but are incorrect. The dealers said the ones were ordered as the parts list drawings, but they show only up to 2016. There are no parts shown for later ones, so they have to put a request to Ford for part numbers and are now waiting. Kuga has now been with them for a week, all stripped out with the headlining hanging up. At least they have upgraded the loan car from a manual Fiesta to a brand new auto Ecosport. Will give till tomorrow and then will contact Ford CRC.

·
Registered
247 Posts
There's no hard and fast rule I'm afraid....be it main dealer / independent / national franchise....

Believe it or not, my local Kwik-Fit is SUPERB... a lot of the chaps who work there are car enthusiasts and they're always willing to help and give some fair and very reasoned advice.
They love having my Kuga in (novelty value I guess.. ?) For the items that they've picked up on over the past 5years (MOT's / wheel alignment etc) they've been 100% spot on...

Kwik Fit (in general) gets a bad name... keeping your eyes open and using your due diligence should keep you right... If you feel something isnt required or is OTT.. ask the forum or get a second opinion.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I don’t what it about some main dealers that makes them 💩.

My interpretation is that they just don’t carry the same high quality that is synonymous with other brands, ie Audi etc. Yeah I know all manufacturers can have issues but it’s like working for Harrods, where you are expected to be smart, polite and care. (I guess)
Where Ford are probably are similar to the pound shop. Lol.

Best way I could described it I suppose.

I found Audi to be OTT but Ford, from my experience are like “wide boys and bullshit’ish.

Ford dealers forget that if like many you buy a new car, say the Kuga Vignale at £39000 then you expect that kind of premium service but I just feel that they think it’s a Ford, so get over it, you’ve bought it what did you expect.

I will say from all the Fords I’ve had, not had that many real issues, with only one MK1 Kuga causing me a new clutch which didn’t resolve the issue along with DPF issues as well. Rest have been very good.

Just my opinion and thoughts from experience.
Its well documented on the mk1 section the issue we had with the 2010 kuga..
But the missus loved that car and in the end we ptx for the mk2 titanium which she loves....

Anyway its a pity the industry as it bad service side more so when you have paid decent money for one..

We have also had an issue with this kuga in the first weeks and that is on this forum aswell.....

·
Registered
118 Posts
Have now been advised by the dealer that Ford have sorted the part number for the sun roof, but there are none shown on the UK system, or in stock here. The part has to come from Spain so not expected till the end of this week/ early part of next so car will not be back until the end of next week. Glad it’s all under warranty and just hope after all this no more water gets in, else it may be the start of WW3.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Having “Vinny” blood and filter changed tomoz as a mid way through two year service plan.
Will see how the dealer does.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts