Registered
2014 kuga 2.0 titanium
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi how do you improve the main beam as mine is part of drl bulb and is crap
Cheers

·
Mr Modification
Ford Kuga MK2 12/2014 Titanium X Sport AWD 2.0TDCI 200PS 450Nm (T8MA) Manual Sync1
443 Posts
From picture of your car I see you have a standard halogen H7 bulbs, so legally you haven't got to much options. Only performance bulbs like Osram Night breaker laser or Autobeam with more white colour:
Autobeam H7
Halogen H7 Full Beam Bulb

LED bulbs in halogen headlight is no more road legal. Your car will fail MOT.

·
Super Moderator
Ford Kuga 2013 Titanium X
1,633 Posts
From picture of your car I see you have a standard halogen H7 bulbs, so legally you haven't got to much options. Only performance bulbs like Osram Night breaker laser or Autobeam with more white colour:
Autobeam H7
Halogen H7 Full Beam Bulb

LED bulbs in halogen headlight is no more road legal. Your car will fail MOT.
They're not H7, he said his main beam bulbs which are also his DRL, so they're a H15 bulb not H7.

Why does nobody read anything properly on here????

·
Registered
South Wales 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
1,243 Posts
I have Autobeam H7 in mine,,they are bad can’t wait to change them.H15 main beam

·
Registered
784 Posts
H15's they are.

H15 Twenty20 Impact LED 12V Headlight Bulbs (Pair) (autobulbsdirect.co.uk)

I have the H7 in dip beam. Twenty Twenty versions. The beam is not projected and not fantastic to be honest. They have passed 2 x Mot's so far. The lack of projected beam (dipped) are made up from seeing road signs, any thing reflective (cyclists, cones etc) earlier and clearer is still the advantage.

LED bulbs tend to shine sideways so you are at the mercy of the headlight projector (back of light). A filament bulb, most of light would shine forwards. That I think is the difference so far. The smaller indicator types have a round bulb head that shine as a conventional bulb.

If the LED bulbs fit in physically (H15) is a different story until someone here tries and reports in.

(H7's rotate on body by 90 degrees and they just fit!)

·
Super Moderator
1,633 Posts
Just to be clear on this (with my Moderator head on)

Fitting LED bulbs into headlights designed for halogen bulbs is now an MOT failure and they are not road legal. The forum can not be seen to condone this so any posts relating to this will be deleted.

·
Super Moderator and Mr Uses Lots of Words
5,387 Posts
You can always tell when someone has usually either fitted a bulb incorrectly or fitted an illegal bulb. I just wish more garages would check this properly.

On the fitting of some bulbs why have the manufacturer made it so difficult with not just access but with the bulb holders as well.

Reactions: Fillco

·
Registered
784 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,633 Posts
some interesting reading:

I have 2 mot certificates now for the kuga with LED bulbs fitted.
So do I but not in the headlights. The new legislation which only came in this year only relates to headlights.

Plus if you're going to post a link, do it from an official source, not from someone who sells bulbs, they will tell you anything.

·
Registered
480 Posts
So do I but not in the headlights. The new legislation which only came in this year only relates to headlights.

Plus if you're going to post a link, do it from an official source, not from someone who sells bulbs, they will tell you anything.
Plus the posted link just confirms everything you say in a long winded way anyway. 'Getting away' with an MOT does not mean compliance !

In addition, rules concerning LED headlights are for OEM fitted LED lights not aftermarket ones.

·
Registered
2018 Ford Kuga ST-Line 2.0 TDCi
89 Posts
I made the mistake of replacing the H15 DRL bulbs in our old Kuga to H15 LED. They worked great as a DRL until I realised they also doubled up as the headlight main beam.

Could barely see anything when I needed full beam. I changed them back and then traded the car in not long after.

As for legality and this forum LED and Xenon conversions are fine for car shows, off-road use and private land.

·
Registered
2013 Titanium X with 2017 Powershift Conversion.
1,519 Posts
Are Aftermarket LED Bulbs Road Legal? | Will They Pass An MOT? : Automotive News by ABD.co.uk (autobulbsdirect.co.uk)

some interesting reading:

I have 2 mot certificates now for the kuga with LED bulbs fitted.
As an MOT tester myself, LED or HID conversion to a Halogen headlight housing is definitely a failure, they have gone to great pains to make that very clear to all MOT testers.

No excuse for passing a car with the wrong bulbs considering the amount of Special Notices posted up about it.

·
Registered
531 Posts
As an MOT tester myself, LED or HID conversion to a Halogen headlight housing is definitely a failure, they have gone to great pains to make that very clear to all MOT testers.

No excuse for passing a car with the wrong bulbs considering the amount of Special Notices posted up about it.
Best advice you'll get right there folks...

Back on topic, if you want to have better lighting out of Halogen units, buy upgraded Halogen bulbs. I've used Osram Nightbreakers before and found them to offer a marked improvement over standard bulbs.
While you're in there with access to the lights which can be a PITA to get to.. It makes sense to upgrade your dipped bulbs at the same time.

·
Registered
6,731 Posts
It is worth noting that the so called +% replacement halogen/xenon filled lamps ,while legal, do not provide you with any additional brightness and are designed legally to provide no more that 1300-1500 lumens in the case of say a headlight, mainly the dipped beam. The so called increase is achieved by tailoring the the direction of the light available. Fact is, headlights are all different, so where a lamp may provide better forward light in one headlight, it could possible provide no improvement or worse in others, and actually cause dazzle where there was none before. Where they add Xenon in a fillamnet lamps to provide a whiter light which runs the filament hotter and brighter, the amount of light is still the same as a standard lamp.

I guess the plus% manufacturers have carried out a broad test with various headlamps to achieve a good average.

I have LED H1 in my main beams which as far as I'm concerned are more like infill for the Bi-Xenon main beam, but they do much improve long range visability and can be seen by other drivers far easier than the original filament H1. Local Ford dealer who carries out the MOT (who I warned at the first MOT that I'd changed lamps) said not a problem as they appear to be far better than the original lamps.

·
Registered
784 Posts
When I took mine for MOT I showed the (LED) headlamps first, with two hella H7's in a box in my hand as a option to change.

Check on the lamp test 1st he said. .. The hella H7's been in glove box ever since.
If they project to the left and within limits how can they fail?
Forward projection is not tested.

Filco welcome back! The (mine) Kuga still working hard!

·
Registered
2013 Titanium X with 2017 Powershift Conversion.
1,519 Posts
Here's one of the special notices.

Here's the inspection manual in full.

It's a failure to have a Halogen unit with a HID or LED conversion for cars newer than 1986..

That's penalty points for any tester passing a car with said conversion regardless how good the beam patern is.

·
Registered
6,731 Posts
Ah, that's why we dont see many if any, headlights (dip beam) blinding other road users so we can thank those for the change, which just had to come.

Interesting the pre April 1986 date, why I wonder.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts