Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After having the benefit of a 12v supply, plus USB port in the armrest of my 2012 Mondeo as well as having the regular cigar lighter, I was a bit disappointed to find out that the Kuga doesn't have the same features.

I the Mondeo, I had a 12v/5-Port USB adapter connected up within the armrest of the Mondeo, which gave us more than enough power points for 3 phones, tablet, dash cam etc and was able to keep it relatively neat with it being hidden away.

The Kuga has just the 12v supply on display in centre of console and a couple of USBs in the armrest.

I therefore plan on using a couple of those plug-in 12v/2-Port USB adapters, but the only ones I have come across protrude quite a lot from the 12v supply.

I have seen these, which look almost perfect:

But anyone had anything similar in the UK?

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
I thought the "Aukey" branded ones on Amazon would be good choice, but.................

That's too much protrusion for me!

To be honest, I don't know why the 12v socket is even included in cars these days.

In the boot, yes, but as most people mostly need to charge mobile devices on the go, why not shower us with multiple (5 plus) USB charging points?

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
I used to have one with 2 outlets which was as near flush as you could get, bought from Maplins which is now defunked, don’t know what I did with it though, been missing a while

·
Registered
90 Posts
No-matter how low-profile those 'cigar-lighter' dongles are, that is too much 'protrusion' for me too. Why convert an existing cigar lighter socket (there are three on my car) to USB charging when there are already two USB sync & charging ports already included in the car, inside the armrest/box.

My dash-cam is permanently powered/wired to the front footwell fusebox and the phone is powered/wired to one of the USB ports (not that it is needed, when using Bluetooth sync) ...hence i would not want any wires dangling just to charge phones etc.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
You could fit a dash mount outlet somewhere discretely. There are various types made, getting something compliant with QC 2.0 or 3.0 standards would be a good move.

·
Registered
2015 Mk2 Kuga, 2.0 TDCi, 150ps, Frozen White
40 Posts
I have 2 dashcams (1 front, 1 rear) hardwired into fuse boxes. Also a wireless phone charger hardwired into fuse box so all my 12v/cigar lighter sockets and the 1 USB socket inside armrest are all free still. 👍🏻

Attachments

·
Registered
40 Posts
Rear dashcam is hardwired into boot fuse box, 2nd in from top left.

Attachments

·
Registered
40 Posts
How's your DAB reception after fitting it?
Fine, no issues at all. It's got the ferrite clip around the wire to prevent any interference and so far it does what its supposed to do. Cant complain at all 👍🏻

1 - 10 of 10 Posts