Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Thank you guys for your previous contributions on the type of break pads that will fit my kuga 2016.
I was able to purchase fitting ones from autodoc and they were the right specs.
I went on to the DIY and successful replaced all 4 wheels break pads and decided to change the break fluid completely since its required to be changed at most every 3 years and I'm sure it has been done by previous owner. I bought a DOT4 break fluid as required and bled all breaks with the sequence I saw online, that is, FL,FR,RR,RL. This worked and the breaks are top shape. I have also made sure that the master break tank has been filled up to Max level. But still yet, when I start the car it shows a warning message that there is Low break fluid and the red indicator light comes on and doesn't go off even while driving.
Break is good as before after the change but this warning indication worries me.
I used my Autel diagnostic machine but this didn't generate any error code.
I have done factory car testing whose procedure is first pressing and holding down the OK button while pressing the STOP/START button to do a test and at the end it says No DTC.
I don't know what else to do.
Please can anyone help.
Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
533 Posts
Not sure if it's the same for the Kuga, but changing brake fluid on a bike with ABS requires the use of manufacturer kit to fill the ABS pump...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Still confused. The break fluid requires DOT 4. Break pad assemblage has been done. Master cylinder has been topped up to maximum. Not visible leakage anywhere. What do you suggest?

·
Super Moderator
533 Posts
As I said, I'm not an expert, but on ABS bikes you have to use the manufacturer's "computer" to allow the abs pump to fill. If you just drain the system, you don't pull any new fluid through the pump....

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
As far as I know on a car with abs you should be ok if you use something like an eezi bleed or other pressurised system which forces the old fluid out with new but I believe if you drain the system the abs pump needs to be full of fluid before bleeding. If Templar has just drained the fluid out then my guess is that is the problem.

My daughter's abs pump went on her focus and while the garage was trying to find out why the anti skid warning was on I did my own research. The garage were pretty fair to be honest and was trying the cheaper things first but knowing that my dad had the same fault on his C-max I was putting 2 and 2 together and making 4. My research found that it is absolutely imperative that the pump is filled with brake fluid before it is fitted. Garages may be able to override that with their software.

·
Registered
543 Posts
I would have assumed that if you replace new fluid for old, that you would bleed the brakes until you have very little left in the brake fluid reservoir then TOP up with NEW fluid so that it is then bled into all the new locations such as ABS pump then callipers.
Just my view on what should be a straight forward job.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
I would have assumed that if you replace new fluid for old, that you would bleed the brakes until you have very little left in the brake fluid reservoir then TOP up with NEW fluid so that it is then bled into all the new locations such as ABS pump then callipers.
Just my view on what should be a straight forward job.
Haha, I thought that method had died along with crossply tyres lol. Yes, in theory that should be ok so long as air doesn't get in but I do remember something from eons ago about abs systems requiring something different to the two persons required to do it. I know you could get the one man kits but I never had much success with those and found it easier to get the wife to do pedal down and hold and then up procedure. Gunsons easi bleed using a spare tyre to pressurise is much easier. If Templar has drained the fluid out and let air get in then that could be the reason why he's got a problem.

·
Registered
543 Posts
**** it...……….…….Do you mean to say that them crossply's ive been saving are knackered and cant be used then Smartguy69 ;)
That how I did it the last time I did brake fluids change...……………..Mind you it was on a P6 Rover in 1976 .
I had my kuga's fluids changed last year and let the man in the garage do it...………...fank fook lol.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
In the early 90's I think for me with brake fluid and I never touched a system with abs. For £35/ £40 for a garage to do it just doesn't seem worthwhile me having a go to be honest. They must get brake fluid for pennies as am not sure how garages can charge such a small amount. Maybe with the systems they use it may take longer to get the car in, on the ramp and out again, than it does to change the fluid. Evans Halshaw only charged £35 on the wife's Mokka when it went in for its last service.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks. The problems is solved. I had to drive it a longer distance and I guess this gave the brake fluid more time to occupy the brake lines. Light and warning sign all disappeared and it's been 3 days now.
Good learning point.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Thanks. The problems is solved. I had to drive it a longer distance and I guess this gave the brake fluid more time to occupy the brake lines. Light and warning sign all disappeared and it's been 3 days now.
Good learning point.
Presume you had to top up the fluid then, how much extra was needed

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Both for the bleeding ( I emptied all the old fluid from the master cylinder) and topping, I used about 750mls.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
In the early 90's I think for me with brake fluid and I never touched a system with abs. For £35/ £40 for a garage to do it just doesn't seem worthwhile me having a go to be honest. They must get brake fluid for pennies as am not sure how garages can charge such a small amount. Maybe with the systems they use it may take longer to get the car in, on the ramp and out again, than it does to change the fluid. Evans Halshaw only charged £35 on the wife's Mokka when it went in for its last service.
Am not sure how much this would have cost. I changed all four wheel brakes, drained all old brake fluid, intact this was actually an overhaul of the braking system.
Parts cost me £39.99 for the 4 brake pads set and £9 for the brake fluid as I bought 2 bottles of the 500mls. I had all the tools for the job. I'm sure I saved the cost of the labour and the additional cost that would have been put on top of the parts.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts