Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On Monday of this week our Kuga (purchased November 2008) gave us a waning of low brake fluid as we were going round a corner. Assumed that just faulty reading. On Tuesday, the warning came every time we went round a sharp corner. By Wednesday the warning was just on permantly and I checked the brake fluid reservoir. Fluid was way below the minimum level. A phone call to Ford garage ended up with the car being booked in for Thursday. After looking at it the garage said that as the reservoir was for brake and clutch fluid, they thought we had a problem in the clutch. This now means that the gearbox will have to be stripped and as the garage have never seen this problem, they are scratching their heads until 'Ford' (I thought that by taking it to a Ford main dealer they would know) tells them how to fix it. They are saying that they cannot give the car back as it is dangerous to drive. After much complaining they found a courtesy car for us - a Ford Fusion. Not impressed at all as they cannot give us a return date for the car.

Has anyone else had this problem? I will give updates on the problem as and when I get them myself.

·
Registered
287 Posts
not had this problem but it's not uncommon where fluid is 'shared'. normally its the clutch slave cylinder leaking and involves gearbox out and check if clutch has gotten fluid on it ( will need new if so and very likely)
as the kUga is relatively new for most main dealers there isnt a lot of expeirence there so being among first will have disadvantages as you are finding out. It should be a one day fix .! new clutch etc so assuem all goes well and they have spares? expect to get car back on the monday. ( should be friday but you can see how it goes)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is now Tuesday and still not had the car back. The garage informed me this morning that the care will be ready for tomorrow lunchtime.
The problem seems to be with the dual mass flywheel (similar failures across mondeos and focus range). There seems to be an issue with the flywheel on diesels (due to the increased torque).

The garage stated that the flywheel collapsed onto the clutch master cyclinder which then caused the leak. They are having to replace both the master cyclinder and clutch.

I would have thought that if this fault is known about, Ford would have come up with a modified flywheel design for their diesels.

Not impressed that this fault has occured on a Kuga that is not 12 months old

·
Registered
622 Posts
Hi Johnboy,

I am sorry to here of your dual mass flywheel problems but it seema to be a fairly common occurance. I am not talking just Kuga's but mondeo's as well. I have a mechanic friend with his own garage and he has done clutch changes on three mondeo's in the past two months. Fords modification is to offer a standard flywheel and clutch option in place of the dual mass item. I do not know if this is available for the kuga but if mine goe's and it is an option that is the route I will take.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts