Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all , looking for a bit of help before stripping car to pieces. Turned it on yesterday and noticed a message flashed up very briefly saying brake fluid low. Turned it on and off a few times and no message. Checked master cylinder and christ almighty its totally empty, but brakes are working . Any ideas please. Thanks Malc. 2.0 tdci 2015.

·
Ford Kuga 2013 Titanium X
1,067 Posts
Obvious things to check would be for any wetness around any of the calipers, it could be a brake pipe leaking as well but that would give a bit of an indication. Then top it back up and keep an eye on it.

When did you last check it?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi andspenka , no obvious signs of leaks , only bought it in July fully serviced so not checked , until now, did notice though just once about a week ago the clutch pedal didn't return to position and they share fluid don't they . Will top up and see as you suggest in meantime. Thanks.

·
Ford Kuga 2013 Titanium X
1,067 Posts
Yes, they do share the same fluid.

·
Registered
2017 Titanium X 150 Magnetic
82 Posts
Hi check your brake pads for wear, if both front and rears are worn near their limit this could lower the level quite a bit?

·
Registered
Ford Kuga MK2 2014 Titanium X Sport AWD 2.0TDCI 182PS Manual Sync1
314 Posts
I had brake fluid leak in MK1 it was the handbrake leaver on the back on the caliper (MK2 has similar). It happed in rainy day and couldn't be easy to find...
Definitely you have to top up fluid and bleed all calipers include clutch master cylinder (under air filter box), you can use Ford branded DOT4 or other Low Viscosity:
Screenshot_20210222-083042_AliExpress.jpg
If your fluid in reservoir comes under LOW level you propably have air in brakes and clutch, after you bleed them check for a leaks.
If your brake pedal is going down when you holding brake pedal, you have a leak somewhere. It should stay firm even if you press it constantly very hard.
You have to bleed brake first because air in brake lines will cause spongy brake pedal...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi all , sorry for late replies, no Internet access. Thanks to you all for your help, have checked all out and can find nothing , I did however find that there is a SECOND master cylinder just behind the main one under the scuttle. I will do some research and let you know my findings.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts