Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi we own a Ford kuga 2018 eco boost. We bought it used it’s only just over the 3 years and had Ford protect warranty. When we bought it 5 months ago it only done 9500 miles so in 5 months we only put on 4000 miles. Few months ago we was topping up the coolant and when I was driving it came up with warning the engine over heated. So 4th sept it’s been in the Ford garage and came with a fault the the short block and the head gasket needed repaired. So they send it of the warranty who tell them they need to pull the engine apart and if they find it be short block it’s covered if not we will be liable for £1200 so they do that and there corrosion in the head gasket which they say is a leak from the coolant which is not covered so we are
Now left with 5k bill plus the price of the courtesy car which we are being charged £10 day and our car still in the garage. Anyone have advice

·
Super Moderator and Mr Grumpy
7,762 Posts
Welcome to the forum @Dazchris - A few questions.

1. Is the car on finance
2. When did the warranty officially expire
3. At any time within the warranty period did the car go into Ford for a coolant loss issue

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No the car is not on finance. The warranty ran out in July but we took extended warranty. That we are not sure has it had a previous owner, and we are in aware who that is. We only bought the car in April.

·
7,762 Posts
I would perhaps go and seek legal advice. Within our first lockdown period we were told only to leave our homes to go to work or get food. Had that not occurred your car may have failed within its warranty period. We had a couple of other members with coolant issues on the 1.5 ecoboost and I think there are some lawsuits ongoing in the USA on that engine. @murcod will have more info on that.

·
2016 Kuga Titanium 2.0l EcoBoost
3,552 Posts
Has it got a full service history with Ford? You could approach them and state it's unacceptable for a head gasket to fail at x years/ x miles. They may come back with a partial payment towards the repairs. Have a look on the US Escape forums as it's a very common failure over there. (Although I don't recall "corrosion" being brought up before.) Have they supplied photos at all?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Has it got a full service history with Ford? You could approach them and state it's unacceptable for a head gasket to fail at x years/ x miles. They may come back with a partial payment towards the repairs. Have a look on the US Escape forums as it's a very common failure over there. (Although I don't recall "corrosion" being brought up before.) Have they supplied photos at all?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes we have the photo were the corrosion is and after speaking with Ford protect which is the warranty they provide when buying a used car. When we bought the car 5 months ago it had service history. Now the warranty people are saying it’s burnt and corrosion around the engine. So we are now waiting on Ford customer to see if they will do it on good will. They said the corrosion is inside the head gasket

·
Registered
40 Posts
By any chance did you pay for any of the purchase on a credit card? If so you can use Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 to claim the money back. You only need to have paid £100 on the card and you can claim the full amount. I've used it before to get a £3k bill covered by a dealership when the ecu failed on my old Volvo C30.

·
3,552 Posts
That appears to be the same block design that is causing the failures on the US models (exact same engine.) They changed the block design and got rid of the "slits" between the cylinder.

Here you go - old design (same as yours) versus new replacement blocks Ford are now using:

Light Black Automotive tire Automotive engine gasket Audio equipment

From 2017-2019 1.5EB Coolant Leak (note the pic is from someone in Spain who had their engine replaced under warranty.) Your Kuga would be from the same factory.

Attachments

·
3,552 Posts
PS: Do you have "fit for purpose" consumer laws in the UK? That certainly wouldn't pass the test. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
We are having so much issues with Ford protect who will not pay out even though. It’s extended warranty

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I’m not sure we do but dealing with Ford customer relations. I wouldn’t know where to even start

·
7,762 Posts
Your first point of contact is with your dealer. Have a read here as your dealer can submit a post warranty claim to Ford. No way should this have failed with 13,400 miles on the clock.

What to do after your car warranty expires | The AA

You still may want to consider some legal advice. It's a long time since I have had to read the sale of goods act which I think was replaced under the consumer rights act of 2015 and no doubt has possibly changed again but irrespective of whatever warranty a manufacturer says, there are additional rights under law. The last time I had to read this was to be able to understand about how we may be protected for up to 6 years, but that wasn't for a car.

Have a read here and complete the form through Citizens Advice. From a manufacturer's warranty aspect your car is time barred but realistically it is only a 13 month old car from the mileage. Not really a good advert for the 1.5 Ecoboost is it.

Problem with a used car - Citizens Advice

·
Registered
164 Posts
PS: Do you have "fit for purpose" consumer laws in the UK? That certainly wouldn't pass the test. :rolleyes:
We have the consumer rights act 2015. The OP should specifically note the following:
When goods are faulty, if you return them within six months, then it's up to the shop to prove they weren't faulty when you bought them. After this, the burden of proof shifts and it's up to you to prove they were faulty when you bought them.
As smartguy69 pointed out, the consumer protection laws don't specifically mention cars but I'm fairly sure they are still covered.

Its a widely acknowledged design fault, so it has existed since the car was new.
So even though the warranty period ford offer is 3 years, you are protected upto 6 years, as long as the fault existed from new.

EDIT: according to whatcar, cars are definitely covered.
Your legal rights if something goes wrong with your car

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
That’s the problem we didn’t buy from new. It was bought from used car garage which is Ford dealer. But like you said it’s a known issue but it’s proving it

·
7,762 Posts
That’s the problem we didn’t buy from new. It was bought from used car garage which is Ford dealer. But like you said it’s a known issue but it’s proving it
Did you click on the link I provided in post #17 for citizens advice. If not then I suggest you do because you are running out of time. It makes no difference whether you bought it new or not.

I did click on the link and here is what it said. Disgusting that a ford dealer does not give 6 months warranty. I got 12 months from a mitsubishi dealer.

You’re entitled to a repair if the car is faulty - but you should act quickly.
You’re legally entitled to a repair if something goes wrong with the car.

Because you bought the car in the last 6 months, the law says it must have been faulty when you bought it.

If the trader says the car wasn’t faulty when they sold it to you, it’s their responsibility to prove it. If you don’t agree with this proof, you might need to get your own evidence.

‘Faulty’ means the car is not:

• ‘of satisfactory quality’ - it should do what you’d expect for its age, mileage, price and type
  • ‘fit for purpose’ - for example, if you asked for a car that would pull a caravan, it has to be able to do that
  • ‘as described’ - it has to match the advert or the description the trader gave you
If the problem fits into at least one of these categories, ask the trader to repair the car. If the trader takes too long (or it causes you too much inconvenience), you’ll be entitled to a partial refund.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts