Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

First post!

I'm looking around for a Mk2 Diesel auto in a few in a ideally a 4 x 4 months time, so I'm starting to do some research into the Kuga. I have Arthritis in my lower spine and would prefer a raised driving position. I don't tow, or intend to, but do travel around in the winter time and visit family in the Scottish borders who live on farms, so all wheel drive would be beneficial

We bought a mk1 2009 plate diesel manual for my niece and she loved it until she woke up one morning to find it stolen!

I've read on some other forums Honest John for example, the powershift box can prove problematic as it is a dual clutch robotised manual, whilst on others it says this generation would be the torque converter mated to an automated box as to the older generation of Borg Warner/ZFHP 'boxes. I would like to know what type of clutch would be fitted to this generation and are they reliable. I'm thinking that regular servicing would solve any long term reliability issued by keeping the oil and filters fresh.

As this is the 2ltr DW10 unit originally from Peugeot, I believe these are also reliable if the servicing schedule has been moistened. I ran a 309 with the 1.9xud unit and managed to achieve 300,000 miles on the engine and second clutch before the shell gave way with a service every 5,000 miles

I cover around 15,000 miles per annum over a mixture of roads. I always make sure there is at lease one good motorway run once every couple of weeks to clean any DPF/EGR issues. Before I do I tank it off with the super diesel and run some injector clean through as well

Any advice welcome into the auto box/engine reliability queries

Thanks

·
Registered
278 Posts
I have a 2016 2ltr powershift 4x4 which has done 50,000mls I had the gearbox filter and oil changed at 38,000, 3years and its running like new. (Fingers crossed)

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
What year are you looking at getting. I would be reluctant in buying a diesel auto Kuga in anything that's older than 2016. We know that the original powershift used in the early MK2 Kuga from 2013 onwards uses plastic parts in the gearbox that can break.

We don't know for certain when ford changed the gearbox on the Kuga but someone on here posted a picture of their gearbox type from a 2016 car so we can assume it is from 2016.

If you pick a car that is older than 2016 then get a picture of the gearbox code. It is under the air filter, post it on here and address it to keithmac and he will tell you if it's the improved gearbox or to walk away.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies, I was looking at the 2014 - 16 models as these would be in my price bracket, as these are nearly 7 years old now, they may have been repaired or scrapped as the repairs would be more than the vehicle. I did have a look at a 2008 diesel with the EGS and didn't like it as it was caught between gears at a busy roundabout and it felt like the dual mass flywheel was away at 25,000 miles

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Search for the posts by @keithmac on the Powershift. He's gone into great detail on the upgrades over the years including the gearbox part numbers to look for. Definitely don't buy an early model, somewhere around 2016-2017 was when the newer design Powershift was released. (Mind you, it probably hasn't been around long enough to show up any common faults.)

·
Registered
969 Posts
If you can get a 2016 with the FV4R 7000 gearbox that is your best bet.

It has a Dual Mass Flywheel which is a significant improvement over the horrendously designed earlier gearboxes with the internal Clutch Damper and associated plastic mess..

The 2016 180bhp AWD 2l Diesel will definitely have the newer gearbox.

Servicing is still very important (3 years or 37500 miles on the gearbox) but the early boxes are doomed to failure from the start imho.

·
Registered
30 Posts
i have 2014 xsport powershift awd and runs perfect no problems gearbox has had its service done at the right time

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
I remember reading something once about the Mazda 6 MK1 AFTER I bought it. The review said that the mazda, with its dpf issues will enter the scrap yard far quicker than most other model brands. The posts on honest John with issues all pertaining to the dpf appeared to back that up. A gearbox should well last the life of the car and when my daughter's partner asked me what I thought about a Galaxy, 2014 powershift I said Google powershift and do some research. He decided not to buy.

There will always be ones that break and ones that don't, but knowing that by design something is likely to fail then why take the risk.

·
Registered
278 Posts
If you can get a 2016 with the FV4R 7000 gearbox that is your best bet.

It has a Dual Mass Flywheel which is a significant improvement over the horrendously designed earlier gearboxes with the internal Clutch Damper and associated plastic mess..

The 2016 180bhp AWD 2l Diesel will definitely have the newer gearbox.

Servicing is still very important (3 years or 37500 miles on the gearbox) but the early boxes are doomed to failure from the start imho.
So are you saying the new gearbox came when they introduced the 180bhp engine?

·
Registered
969 Posts
I've seen a late 2015 on here with the revised gearbox fitted, if anyone with an earlier 180 wants to post their gearbox code up it would be helpful.

Much much better design.

·
Registered
969 Posts
I know some will think I have a downer on all Fords now but I wouldn't want anybody to go through the hastle that we did, plus the money side of it (ruined our holidays as couldn't tow the van and cost a lot to repair "properly").

The early gearbox is not fit for purpose and if I can save just a handful of people the trouble we had then I'm a happy man.

Just look at the picture above, never seen such a daft use of materials in 25+ years of working on motorcycles and cars.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
I am with you on this one keithmac. I wonder if the extra strain on the gearbox towing a caravan has shortened the life on yours due to the design. Be interesting to know from the members who have said they have had no issues if they tow a caravan and also if they have had their car from new. If I was to buy an early Mk2 now it could have had a gearbox replacement already but as I know, from your posts, I would be checking the gearbox type before parting with any cash.

·
Registered
969 Posts
We only did probably 2,000 miles tops towing and it never had a towbar before we bought it.

Reason we bought the Kuga was to tow the van (2100 max tow weight), only saving grace was it didn't leave us stranded in Cornwall.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Reason we bought the Kuga was to tow the van (2100 max tow weight)
Exactly. The diesel has a slightly higher tow rating than even the 2.0l EcoBoost Kuga sold here (which has the torque converter auto.) So you'd definitely go for the diesel/ PowerShift DCT option if you planned on towing a van.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts