Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi every one i am new to this forum so be gentle with me,i bought a 2015 2.0 tdci powershift a couple of weeks ago really like this SUV but i have read some horror story's about the powershift gearbox,mine has done 77,000 miles and drives really well nice shifting up and down the box,apart from a tiny bit snatchy between 1st and 2nd when its cold but seems to smooth out a lot when warm,i was going to do the oil and filter service on the gearbox at the end of this month,but i dont know if i could get the bits now ?.i normally deal with a company call Westway oils for all my oil needs and found them to be good.i am hoping i could get 2 years out of the car in which i will do 8,000 to max of 10,000 miles what do you all think.Cheers tony

·
Registered
342 Posts
Well mine is fine at 94k miles. Slightly snatchy I suppose for the first few gear changes in the morning. Oil and filter changes always been done at specified interval. I've usually got the parts from eBay.

Bob

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well mine is fine at 94k miles. Slightly snatchy I suppose for the first few gear changes in the morning. Oil and filter changes always been done at specified interval. I've usually got the parts from eBay.

Bob
cheers mate,i was going to do mine end of the month,but thought i would order the parts when i got paid,wouldn't mind been sent home today for 3 weeks so i would have had the time to do it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What engine is it?, could you read the gearbox code off the 'box (white sticker under the airbox).

View attachment 3574
I was waiting for you to come along,Its the 2.0 tdci duratorqe not had the air box out yet,managed to order a service kit for the box and PTO,thought i would have time to do it sent home for 3 weeks yesterday phone call this morning could i go in to help out (emergency vehicles)i will try and have a look later.i dont drive hard and dont tow and it looks like its never had a towbar on,so fingers crossed.i must admit i like the car its fun to drive,but if i want real fun i jump on my gs1200 rallye

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
what do you think of this vid Keithmac,i thought it was quite good,i intend to measure the amount of fluid i drain and put the same back unless it is way over 6 litres,what i cant understand in the second fill,if you know the box takes 6 litres and you put 6 litres back it should find its own level ?,anyway i have all the stuff to do it so just finding the time to do it and i will take a picture of the gearbox model code.cheers tony

·
Registered
871 Posts
Hello Tony, he's done that spot on!.

The gearbox is dual chamber (the actual housing and the Mechatronic unit are at different levels).

The level setting is to get it correct. Notice after the level setting he DID NOT open the level bung again (even after roadtest).

Mine took 6 litres on the button as well.

I also drove mine before doing the change, Volvo recomend 40c temp for the gearbox drain and level setting.

Running it though the gears primes all the circuits in the Mechatronic unit.

The two sump bolts are 45nm torque.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
so if i get 6 litres out and put 6 litres back in it should all find its own level right ?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Tell you what the filters are crap compared to the vw dsg filter i bought a full service kit genuine including the special tool for filling the box for my passat and never used it,going to stick the lot on ebay,was told by my oil supplier the powershift oil is exactly the same as the dsg oil and i already had 5 litres of theres so just bought 2 more litres plus the oil for the PTO.and a new filter a german brand one retails at about 40 quid.so going to try and fit it next week.

·
Registered
871 Posts
I got some genuine Ford filters off ebay for £22 each (Ford don't make them, it's a German company).

As for the level you can count 6l out and 6l back in but for the time it takes to do 1 more step I always do the final level setting, at least you know it's spot on.

It's more of a quantity setting really, as the Mechatronic holds a lot of oil internally.

The 6DCT450 has a big internal oil filter as well but you can't change that without splitting the cases (basically rebuilding the gearbox). Stupid design imho.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Did the powershift gearbox oil and filter change today,quite a easy job to do.I am quite sure the oil change has been done resent,the oil that came out was quite clean same with the filter.Just under 6.5 litres came out,i put 6 litres back in.Driving home it felt very smooth.Did the PTO at the same time think that hadn't been done from new oil was dirty,so i am glad i did it,put bang on half a litre in it,i will possibly change it again in about 1 or 2 thousand miles.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
The code on your gearbox is the same as mines @Brucedog123.

Thanks @keithmac for putting my mind at ease too.

For info my car is a 65 plate titanium x sport TDCI 180 AWD euro 6. Maybe the newer gearbox with dual mass flywheel came in with the change to the euro 6 engine?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The code on your gearbox is the same as mines @Brucedog123.

Thanks @keithmac for putting my mind at ease too.

For info my car is a 65 plate titanium x sport TDCI 180 AWD euro 6. Maybe the newer gearbox with dual mass flywheel came in with the change to the euro 6 engine?
Being a tight arse I went for the model that was cheap road tax,it seems this is the euro 6 version,think it paid of this time.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts