Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
Just returned from vacation with my four month old TDCI with an unpleasant experience!

Returning from the beach in the afternoon,I unlocked the trunk with the remote control key,to put myfishingstaff inside.Without thinking ,I placed the key in my bckpack,placed the backpack inside the trunk and closed the door!I assumed that the car wouldn't lock again with the sensor key in it.Well...I was wrong!The car locked again,I was out and the key inside!(Important notice:I was in the middle of nowhere near a deserted beach with cellphone,wallet etc locked inside the car,300 km away from home)

Sometimes when car is parked under the sun I leave a window slightly open to avoid overheating of the inside of the car.Looking around the beach near an old building I found a piece of thick wire.I inserted it through the 1cm opened front passenger window and after 20 min I managed to unlock the door by pushing back the safety.

1)What would happenif I hadn't left the window open?

2)Does it make sense for the car to lock with the key inside?

So be aware!

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
Hi ditabl what a nightmare? A previous Toyota of ours would not lock ifkeyless fob was left in car, which is a good thing. However my daughter left her keys in her Qashqai recently it auto locked after a few minutes and we had to run her home to get the spare keys. Clearly you don't expect motor manufacturers to build in idiot proof technology for every single eventuality butsimple logic should highlight the fact that leaving car keys in a car that can auto lock will happen time and time again, Nobody is perfect . . . . .true not even the so called Ford boffins.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Hi Ditabl, Bob
I have had nothing like that happen yet thank goodness, I have two tales to tell re locking the car.

Onetaleis quite straightforward in that I unlocked the car on the button, then was distracted for about 10/15 seconds without opening the door(s) the doors locked again automatically. I suppose I was quite pleased about that one.

Second tale. I used my key out of the fob to open the bonnet (hood), the blue oval slipped over the key once I let it go. I did what I had to and closed the bonnet, LOCKED the kuga with the fob button and went in for a cup of tea. About an hour later I did a short run, opened the car with button, drove off, returned and locked the car on the button.

The following morning going to work I picked up my bunch keys and found the "key" was not in the fob. Panicking, I sorted out the spare fob and went to work. While driving I was trying to remember where I had put the key and why did the car drive last night if the key was missing then? Then it dawned on me and, yes the key was still in the bonnet catch.

Luckily the blue oval covered the key otherwise anyone could have seen it, opened the door of the kuga and drove off

·
Registered
439 Posts
I never just unlock the boot in case of this. If you had unlocked the doors and put the key in the car it wouldnt have locked itself, in fact it didnt lock itself it wasnt unlocked to start with! The boot button only unlocks the boot and as soon as you close the boot its still locked as with the rest of the car. Yes I agree that if it senses the key inside it shouldnt lock but it does have to be unlocked first!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys,

The car was unlocked by the main unlock button on the fob,not the single boot button but it is something I have not made quite clear.Imagine that!That is why I was really shocked!And I suppose this happened because I did not start the engine.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi everyone,
I have read this article some time ago and it worked on myVolvo V70.If you are locked out and have your cellphone phone with you. phone home and get someone to operate your spare keyfob over the line and hold your cellphone near the door handle.The lock may open!

Its worth a test run if enyone wants totry it (im home alone so can't confirm if it works with my Kuga today)

Backchat

·
Registered
140 Posts
Hi Backchat,
I heard this story a while ago but dismissed it as urban myth because I dont think ultrasonic or infra red, blu tooth etc cannot be converted to a telephone signal and back again at the other end by a mobile phone .... but I am happy to be re educated if someone knows better.

Slimus.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Hi All

We were once at a "do" at the local village hall and at the end of the night every Ford owner found that their key fobs would not work and there was quite alot of us. We all unlocked with the keys and none of us have had any trouble with the fobs since, so has anyone any ideas what all that was about!

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
Hi Springhead.My sister lives next door to a radio ham he's got a massive ariel in garden and one onhis roof and hisBreaker! Breaker!friend lives just over the road curiously sometimes I had difficulty locking/unlocking car.(not Kuga) Seems like the equipment is blocking signals in someway. Where I live there's been a spate of house break ins where keys and cars have been stolen, just a matter of time before the "Droogs" have found/developed adevice which they can use to get in and driveoff. Bob.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Hi ditabl..

I have nearly locked myself out of the car. It's only luck that I haven't done that yet. I think here you have done the same as me....

Just like you I have been putting stuff inside the car and NOT NOTICED that I have accidentally pressed the 'lock' button on the fob when placing the stuff in the boot and the key is somewhere under the load. This pre-locks all the doors, and as soon as you close the last open door, in this case the boot, the central locking completes, and there you are, locked out...

I think this is what happened to you too, because the auto door locking feature only comes in if you unlock the doors with the remote, and then do not actually open any of them. After 30 seconds or so, the doors will lock again, but you have the key-fob with you, so no problem. Your key was in the bag, so probably the car got locked when you placed it in the car.

Moral? Keep the keyfob on you all the time, or get in the habit of using the global window opening feature when unlocking the car!

Regards,

qxq

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi qxq,

It was probably the auto lock because I did not open the doors.Only the boot.I m sure.Imagine that it was the first time I detached thefob chainfrom my handbag.Moral?Never again!

Regards,

ditabl

·
Registered
439 Posts
sorry I thought you had just opened the boot.it is sometimes handy if it locks itself but sometimes not!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Although this thread is fairly old i thought it might be worthwhile me telling the tale of when i locked myself out of my focus ST. The focus obviously has the same 'quirk' when it comes to unlocking the boot and it 're-locking' itself upon closure.
Well, i too managed to leave my keys in the boot and then close it with them in.

To cut a long story short, the resolution to this problem was quite interesting!!!

The AA (not the boozers club!) came out, took out the front drivers fog light, then found one of the cables supplying power to the steering pump, opened up the sheath and attached a crocodile clip from a 12v battery to it. This powered up the ignition relay. They thenput a coat hanger in through the rubber seal on the window and then pressed the window opener button (which was now live due to the previous fiddling) allowing me to then unlock the car and get the keys back!! Ingenious!!!

For all you potential car theives out there, the alarm will still go off so...... lol!!!

Just thought this may help if someone endsup in this situation and their AA man hasnt heard of this method. I assume thatit will work on the Kuga as well.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts