Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has any one else noticed this?

I've had my Kuga since the end of July, but now the dark nights are drawing in I've noticed a problem!

While trawling through the country side where I live, doing the "Mum's Taxi" thing, people "flash" me, at first being as vain as I am I thought they just liked the car, but it's happening almost every time I drive her now! People seem to think I've got my lights on full-beam so flash me to dip them. Last night on a 10 minute journey, mostly through lanes I got flashed 3 times, I then got into the next village & almost every other car flashed me!

Being a bit paronoid, I got out & asked my son to flick the light from dipped to full-beam & nearly blinded myself! boy they ARE bright

So now when they flash me to dip I just pop them on to full, they soon get the message!

Is this happening to any one else out there?

I've got the xenon headlights on a Titanium Kuga. - see my other post "would you be so cruel" for a picture

·
Registered
126 Posts
Could be the auto levelling system playing up, A trip to your dealer sounds like a good idea before you get pulled over by mister plod who could take the car off the road right there and then or even worse before you cause an accident.

·
Registered
126 Posts
May even be that the lights haven't been set correctly for the <?: prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">U.K.</st1:place></st1:country-region> As unlike the normal head lights that are completely different units for left or right hand driving. For the Xenon lights there is only one unit that can be set for left or right hand driving and they can also be set in the neutral position.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Essex_boy said:
May even be that the lights haven't been set correctly for the U.K. As unlike the normal head lights that are completely different units for left or right hand driving. For the Xenon lights there is only one unit that can be set for left or right hand driving and they can also be set in the neutral position.
I cannot find anything in the user manual or on the car that would help me find any headlight positioner. What am I looking for to check my setup? Maybe the HID units don't have any beam adjusters?

The reason I am interested is that the AFS system does not appear to work on my K, so I wonder if it's something in the setup that's not correct.

Thanks.

·
Registered
126 Posts
The adaptive front lighting system (AFS, head lights that turn left or right with the car) is not an option on the Kuga; if you look at other Ford models with AFS as an option you will also so see that it's not available with Xenon head lights. Could be due to the possible risk of glare to oncoming cars.
<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />
The only automatic adjustment you get with Xenon lights is the auto levelling (up and Down)

As for the left and right hand adjustment a family member of mine was taking their car across to <?: prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:place w:st="on">Europe</st1:place>, so they purchased some the normal clear stick on adjusters for the lights, but only to find when reading the instructions that they are not compatible with Xenon lights. A short phone call to the ford dealer revealed that they would have to bring the car in to have the lamps adjusted. But being a person that works for ford and competent enough to do most thing to a car they decided to look into it rather than pay for it to be done. But before they found out they changed their mind for another reason and decided to fly

I can't imagine its going to be that difficult to do, as people are back and forwards across they channel all the time and what for those with Xenon lights who cross during the dark.

But I only found out about the neutral position after read about someone with Xenon lights who crosses frequently so they leave them in the neutral position. I think it was a Kuga owner who made the comment on here some time ago

·
Registered
108 Posts
Inside the headlamp unit there is a small lever to alter the light pattern for driving on the right...
Take the head lamp unit out like you would for a normal H7 unit... un-screw the back to reveal the innards of the lamp... in here you will see a lever - all you need to do is lift it up or push it down to make the change - Both headlamps require this change!

This lever takes out the left 'up flick' for lighting up sign posts and kerb edge... and gives you a flat beam all the way across...Pants for uk driving but will do the job for a quick trip to france!

Best way to check your lights are set correctly is park up in front ofyour garage doors and chalk the beam pattern out... then get another car and see if its about the same!

Edited by: applematt

·
Registered
32 Posts
Mine get left in neutral all the time on my Subaruas I cross to Europe a lot, its the first thing I'll do when my Kuga arrives, only thing to be ware of in 3 years time is the MOT not sure if a neutral beam pattern will pass or not but dead easy to flip them back to UK settings 10 seconds anyway

·
Registered
227 Posts
I noticed that my lights when in position 0 (zero) are way too high so I have adjusted them to level 2 on the leveling dial.

Is this little lever on both types of headlamp matt?

·
Registered
108 Posts
amser said:
I noticed that my lights when in position 0 (zero) are way too high so I have adjusted them to level 2 on the leveling dial.

Is this little lever on both types of headlamp matt?

Amser, you refer to normal level adjustment on halogen lamps - the little dial on the switchplate in the cabin??? HID lamps dont have this as its auto....

The HID lever will not change the height of the overall beam - it will only cut off the offending beam that will dazzle the french drivers - lol

Inside the headlamp the lever only has two positions - obviously when you open the lamp for the first time it should be set for the uk (or your locale)... move the lever all the way up/down (i cant remember what way i've not done it for ages now), not half way this will mess the beam completely. Reassemble and observe the beam pattern - it should be flat all the way across.

!Observe the warning signs when messing with these lamps - there's some pretty high voltages in there - ensure the lighting system is off and cooled down if you intend to play!

MOT requires the beam to be set for uk... i personally would not keep my HID lamps set for EU driving... too much light is cut out and wouldnt be worth having HID lamps in the first place...

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Thanks Matt and Essex_boy for the information. My lamps are set correctly and now I know that they do not move as they are HID. I asked this in another post but did not get such a clear response then.

So, to get back to Greeny's issue, she has HID lamps too, but maybe the basic setting is too high and so is creating too much dip dazzle as suggested by Essex_boy's first reply?

·
Registered
108 Posts
umm maybe... a quick check back at the workshop will confirm that!

on my focus st there was a problem with the auto level system... when the car was startedon a downward slope the lights would sometimes adjust too high - i'm sure this was fixed ages ago tho...

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all your replies on this, "Doris" has gotta go in soon to be fitted out with new carpets & door seals, & wing mirrors, I'll just add the dodgy lights to the work sheet!
Thanks to your answers at least I can go in sounding like I know what I'm on about. Always a bonus when you're a female & blonde!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts