Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

Registered
ST-Line Edition 2019 AWD 1.5 Turbo EcoBoost Petrol Auto 180bhp
Discussion Starter #41
I've not got a tool exactly like that - might be an option, although the clips are pretty big!

That video is perfect!!! I have similar plastic tools and I got almost as far as the video at partially removing the trim, and he doesn't remove it all; just enough to get to that nut (that I didn't know existed) and then remove the whole housing, which is what I was trying to do and failing at.

Thank you so much for sharing (y) (y) 馃槂

Registered
Discussion Starter #42
After a few weeks with LED indicator bulbs fitted, this is what I've found...

1. If I'm indicating, at say a junction and the auto start/stop system turns off the engine, when it restarts the indicators hyper-flash once or twice as the engine starts, presumably because of the temporary voltage drop.

2. If I indicate constantly for a few minutes (I pulled over in a lay-by to send a text and left my indicators on) they start to hyper flash, presumably because of heat.

3. If I use the DAB radio, the audio cuts out when indicating, but returns immediately when stopped (I guess the LED bulbs are not shielded).

Not the end of the world, but rather annoying given they are just flashing lights at the end of the day :rolleyes:

I would like to find some LED indicators that are not so blindingly bright too - they are all advertised as being extremely bright, but I can't see the point in them being that bright.

The LED bulbs are as follows:

I'm tempted to try these instead:

Registered
Intermittent hyper flashing was the problem I had. Not discovered until I drove it around a bit. The DAB reception wasn't affected though. If you scan for faults with ForScan you most likely find "intermittent indicators open circuit" or similar.

Registered
Discussion Starter #44
Did you fix it or put up with it?

Registered
Did you fix it or put up with it?
Fixed it. Refitted halogen bulbs and gave up on it as a bad idea. :(

I didn't want to go fitting resistors and trying multiple different LED bulbs hoping the next will work is very expensive.

Registered
So you're running LED's front and rear? Perhaps try reverting one set back to halogens to narrow down which bulbs are causing it. Noting it could also be an accumulated current loss problem as the front and rear bulbs are paralleled- going by the wiring diagrams I found. So you might be able to get away with one LED set only.

Registered
Discussion Starter #47
Great idea murcod! The front indicators are different to the rear, so I might be able to find the culprit that way (y) (y)

Registered
If it helps I only have the front indicators as LED and have never had any issues since I've had them fitted over a year now. The rear ones are Silvatec coloured bulbs that flash orange for aesthetic reasons!

Registered
Discussion Starter #49
I have the same ones fitted to the front as you SiJY, so thanks for the update - Hearing this i'll try changing the rear ones today then, as murcod suggested and see what happens.

Thanks guys... I'll keep you posted (y) (y)

Reactions: murcod

Registered
Discussion Starter #50
OK - So last night I changed the rear indicator bulbs...

From these:

Screenshot_2020-09-04 VDARK LED Bulb T20 7440 W21W WY21W Amber Yellow Turn Signal Tail Side Ma...png

To these:

Screenshot_2020-09-04 ALOPEE 2-Pack 7440 T20 Extremely Bright Amber Yellow Non-Polarity Canbus...png

About the same brightness, but they no longer interfere with DAB radio reception and don't appear to hyper-flash when they're on for a longer period of time :D
But they still hyper-flash when the auto start stop system restarts the engine while indicating.
Two of out three problems solved... so close... 馃槵

I'm not sure any LED indicator will stop this, to be honest :mad:

Registered
Discussion Starter #51
I've got these bad boys to try today - finally decided to try some Auto Beam LED indicators and also bought some of their reversing bulbs to try too.

Registered
Discussion Starter #52 (Edited)
Installation complete and so far so good :unsure: (y)

No errors and no hyper-flashing, even when auto start-stop is in use, plus no DAB interference!

Really nice amber colour, rather than a light yellow colour, and not as blindingly bright as the others, so I'm a very happy chappy :D
Reverse lights are good too - nice bright white and they kind of match the look of the indicators now too, as my Kuga has a clear lens over the indicators and reverse lights.

I should have gone for Auto Beam first, rather than being tight to save a few quid, although I have sent the others back for a refund now, luckily.

So, if anyone is thinking of changing to LED indicator bulbs on a 2019 Kuga or similar, go straight for these W21W LED:

The reverse lights are W16W LED:

Registered
2015 Mk2 Kuga, 2.0 TDCi, 150ps, Frozen White
Installation complete and so far so good :unsure: (y)

No errors and no hyper-flashing, even when auto start-stop is in use, plus no DAB interference!

Really nice amber colour, rather than a light yellow colour, and not as blindingly bright as the others, so I'm a very happy chappy :D
Reverse lights are good too - nice bright white and they kind of match the look of the indicators now too, as my Kuga has a clear lens over the indicators and reverse lights.

I should have gone for Auto Beam first, rather than being tight to save a few quid, although I have sent the others back for a refund now, luckily.

So, if anyone is thinking of changing to LED indicator bulbs on a 2019 Kuga or similar, go straight for these W21W LED:

The reverse lights are W16W LED:

Have you got any pics/ video of the new lights working? Be good to see what they look like now they're installed 馃憤馃徎

Registered
Discussion Starter #54
Here you go - not my best shots, and obviously taken in the daytime light.

Still no errors or hyper-flashing after two trips out, so unless something happens, I'm 100% happy :D

Click on them to enlarge (y)

20200917_120602.jpg 20200917_120551.jpg 20200917_120530.jpg

Reactions: Mk2Kuga and SiJY

Registered
The indicator bulbs look like they could double up as a laser for a James bond movie. Not that they do gadgets any more but I like the bulbs. They would stop the MOT tester at my garage being ultra picky if the indicators don't shine tango orange.

41 - 55 of 55 Posts