Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
This is the bulb I mentioned earlier discussed in a different thread 581 Twenty20 HF0 LED Indicator Bulbs - Anti Hyper Flash

What Is Hyper-Flashing?
Hyper-flashing or "rapid flashing" occurs when you change the technology for your car bulbs from halogen to LED. This is because LED bulbs use less power than standard halogen bulbs and this causes a drop in the circuit's resistance. When this happens, your bulbs will appear to flash really fast hence the name "hyper-flashing".

It's very frustrating when this happens and can cause drivers to panic.

How To Solve Hyper-Flashing?

Before this technology came around there was a very simple solution that most drivers used because it's classed as a "sure fix".

The best way to combat hyper-flashing is to buy an LED resistor kit where you put between the positive and negative wire of the LED bulb, creating a bridge between that raises the load for the entire circuit.

No More LED Resistors Required!

The time for "tapping wires" to fix your hyper-flashing LED's is well and truly over!

Twenty20 has implemented technology that's not only CAN-bus compatible but instead the 581 LED bulbs eliminate hyper-flashing all together.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Nice bulbs but do they do the bulbs that fit the Mk.2.5 as it's a WY21W fitting and not PY21W.

·
Registered
226 Posts

·
Registered
871 Posts
It's funny when cause and effect are reversed

This is because LED bulbs use less power than standard halogen bulbs and this causes a drop in the circuit's resistance.

Reactions: SiJY

·
Registered
ST-Line Edition 2019 AWD 1.5 Turbo EcoBoost Petrol Auto 180bhp
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Well, I've gone for two types of LED indicator bulbs and some small Osrams for the wing mirrors.

I'll let you know how I get on 😬

Any tips on fitting them? Best way to remove the wing mirror caps? 🤔

·
Registered
871 Posts
There's really only one way to remove the mirror caps: tilt glass all the way down and use a small flathead screwdriver to unclip the two small flaps

·
Registered
226 Posts
It's fiddly but you can just about reach inside without removing the cap and then wiggle off the protective cap and replace the bulb. You just need to point the glass down and inward. It is tricky though...

Reactions: murcod

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Cheers all!
Yeah, I know fiddly!!! I replaced the glove compartment bulb with a white LED one... VERY awkward 🤬 but done now, and much better.
No more Teasmade-esque glovebox lighting 😄

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
SUCCESS 😃

Last night I replaced my rear indicator bulbs with the following LED ones, and I can say it's success - no canbus errors or hyper-flashing, but wow are they bright :cool:

I also replaced the wing mirror bulbs with the following LED ones:

Reactions: murcod

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
SiJY - any tips on getting to the front indicators?
Does the black surround just prise off?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Complete LED indicator bulb swap-out is complete and a success - no damage and no Canbus errors 😁

I used the following video guide to gain access to the front indicator / fog light assembly and also purchased this set of plastic removal tools:

·
Registered
2015 Mk2 Kuga, 2.0 TDCi, 150ps, Frozen White
24 Posts
Hi everyone.

I've recently purchased an ex-demonstrator Ford Kuga St-Line Edition 2019 AWD Auto Petrol 179ps, and I've replaced the following bulbs with LED alternatives:
License plate lights, wing mirror puddle lights, sun visor vanity mirror lights, and footwell lights - all work perfectly and are a big improvement.

However, I'm determined to change the amber indicator bulbs to LED alternatives, but I'm worried about canbus errors and needing a resistor.
I've read many forum posts, but nothing seems to be definitive.

Does anyone have any light they could shed on this (pun very much intended :giggle:)

The rear indicators appear to be just a W21W push fit incandescent, so not sure how to go about this, unless there's a after-market LED with the resistor built in?

Many thanks...

I have just fitted sequential indicators on my Kuga wing mirrors (ebay item number 184326694630) they work perfectly. No canbus issues or fault codes and give a really nice look! 👍🏻

Also have just received all bulbs needed to change rears over to LED. Have already changed number plate bulbs and also H7 dipped headlights. Just waiting for H15 LED bulbs to arrive then all exterior bulbs will be LED!!👍🏻👍🏻

Attachments

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
That looks great 😃
I've also done the number plate too, but wasn't sure about the dipped lights :unsure:
I've got reversing light LED bulbs turning up today, so that will complete the rear too :cool:

Which bulbs did you use for the dipped? Do you have a link?

·
Registered
24 Posts
That looks great 😃
I've also done the number plate too, but wasn't sure about the dipped lights :unsure:
I've got reversing light LED bulbs turning up today, so that will complete the rear too :cool:

Which bulbs did you use for the dipped? Do you have a link?

Ebay again, 392604621307 these are the H7 dipped.
303609746521 these are the H15 DRL and main beam combo. These are coming from China so not here yet, I'm sure there are other UK stores that sell them too though. 👍🏻
133417080768 these are the H10 front fog light bulbs. Mines a pre-facelift model so fogs might be different than a facelift model. 👍🏻

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Brilliant!
Thanks for all the info (y)(y)

Reactions: Mk2Kuga

·
Registered
24 Posts
Brilliant!
Thanks for all the info (y)(y)

Managed to get all info for bulbs I've bought for my car. All ebay item numbers. As follows:

Rear lights
362619387909 - amber indicators (same as front)
124252151203 - brake/side lights
291456171995 - rear fog lights
392573632880 - reverse lights
373029105186 - number plate lights

Front lights
303609746521 - H15 DRL and main beam combo
392604621307 - H7 dipped headlight
133417080768 - H10 front fog (pre-facelift) not sure if facelift used different or not
184326694630 - wing mirror indicators (sequential flashing)
382894921689 - front side lights
362619387909 - amber indicators (same as rear) (facelift model used different indicators on front)

Hope this helps with any queries you may have. 👍🏻

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
WOW! That's amazing... thank you 😃
Yeah, looking at those, the facelifted Kuga uses a capless version for a lot of them, but they usually have several formats of the same bulb.
I'm going to fit the reversing LED bulbs today; I've bought a slightly different version to yours, so hopefully they will work, but if not, I'll buy some the same as yours.
I've just got to get the big plastic trim off the boot door now 😱

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Right OK... Anyone know how to change the reversing bulbs on a 2019 Kuga?

I managed to get most of the big plastic trim off, from inside the boot door, but couldn't remove it completely, as it was starting to bend.

I could feel where the bulb holder is, but it's so tucked away :mad:

I tried to remove the whole light assembly, by removing the single black nut on the lip of the boot door, and on the inside all I could find was a long grey plastic "thing" that appeared to do nothing when removed.

So close, but so far 😤

·
Registered
24 Posts

I managed to get most of the big plastic trim off, from inside the boot door, but couldn't remove it completely, as it was starting to bend.

I tried to remove the whole light assembly, by removing the single black nut on the lip of the boot door, and on the inside all I could find was a long grey plastic "thing" that appeared to do nothing when removed.

So close, but so far 😤

Have you got a trim tool? Could help with prying off the plastic clips that hold the boot trim on.

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts

So close, but so far 😤

Not in English but visuals are better than explaining with words anyway. Need to remove black trim then undo bolt/nut holding lamp assembly on, pry off lamp and remove bulb as normal. Hope this helps 👍

21 - 40 of 55 Posts