Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
ST-Line Edition 2019 AWD 1.5 Turbo EcoBoost Petrol Auto 180bhp
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone.

I've recently purchased an ex-demonstrator Ford Kuga St-Line Edition 2019 AWD Auto Petrol 179ps, and I've replaced the following bulbs with LED alternatives:
License plate lights, wing mirror puddle lights, sun visor vanity mirror lights, and footwell lights - all work perfectly and are a big improvement.

However, I'm determined to change the amber indicator bulbs to LED alternatives, but I'm worried about canbus errors and needing a resistor.
I've read many forum posts, but nothing seems to be definitive.

Does anyone have any light they could shed on this (pun very much intended :giggle:)

The rear indicators appear to be just a W21W push fit incandescent, so not sure how to go about this, unless there's a after-market LED with the resistor built in?

Many thanks...

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
Welcome to the forum. You'll more than likely get random hyper flashing with changing the front or rear indicators to LED. The mirror indicators are okay changed. (That's for a 2016, the 2017 on do have revised electronics.)

There is an old thread on here mentioning one brand of bulb that looked promising. I've tried CAN Bus error free bulbs, but the issue is the small resistors on the bulb would literally burn if they tried loading the indicator circuit to the same current draw as halogen bulbs. That's what is required to eliminate the errors. (The BCM will log errors too for "intermittent open circuit indicator" or similar.)

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi David,

Thanks for your response, and I thought as much!

I guess there's not a simple solution, due to the canbus system, although I found Philips do some with a separate canbus adapter included.

I think I'll wait until my warranty runs out until messing any further 😬

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
2018 ST line 2.0 tdci (120 ?)
46 Posts
Many in the Facebook group have done this without issue. I'll see what I can find out

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That would be awesome Trix 😃
If there was a simple plug n play solution 🙏
It seems such a black art, when it really shouldn't be - I'm an electronics engineer, but in audio, not cars 😄

·
Registered
2018 ST line 2.0 tdci (120 ?)
46 Posts

Not the cheapest but seem to be the only ones that work.

What did you use on the vanity mirrors mate. Not something that I use but it's the only interior one I haven't touched

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for that Trix!!!
I'll have look - very tempted.

The vanity mirrors are well worth doing; the horrible dim yellow bulbs that come as standard remind me of an old Teasmade :p
Very easy to swap out - just carefully pop off the plastic cover with a flat blade screwdriver, and prise out the fuse style bulb, and pop in the nice new LED one.
There are loads on the market, and I got mine from Amazon, although the exact ones I bought are currently unavailble, but any similar spec ones should work OK.

Amazon link below:

·
Registered
226 Posts
I have also fitted orange indicator LED bulbs to the front of my Kuga but they use the newer style T20 7440 and not P21W like the Mk.2 Kuga.

Reactions: DogDeluxe

·
Registered
226 Posts
These are the bulbs I used....

Attachments

Reactions: DogDeluxe

·
Registered
871 Posts
There are numerous listings for LED replacements for the flashers, which can be easily discerned by their description and their price ;) Plain LEDs throw errors and/or hyper-flash, while flasher LEDs work as intended.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for this folks!

It gets so confusing - Philips sell dedicated amber LED flasher bulbs, but are supplied with a separate metal canbus controller (see below).

I think I'll try the AutoBeam ones above and let you all know how I get on!

Fingers crossed for me please 😬

·
Registered
226 Posts
I've had mine fitted since end of last year with no issues (as yet) but were more expensive than just cheap LED bulbs.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Cheers SiJY!

Good to hear you've had no issues, and not needed any extra canbus stuff.

Can you remember what brand they were or where you got them from?

Cheers

·
Registered
226 Posts
Yeas they were from Amazon - but were listed as Canbus ones and I have no issues with fast flashing. The only I had were the base of the bulb are bright yellow which was sorted by wrapping around black electrical tape - there is now no egg-fried look! See below for Before/After photos.

·
Registered
226 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for this everyone... and seeing the photos is excellent SiJY

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
Plain LEDs throw errors and/or hyper-flash, while flasher LEDs work as intended.
I bought proper (expensive) indicator bulbs listed as "CAN Bus compatible" and they still hyper flashed. It's very hit and miss as to what works as the BCM seems to simply work on the amount of current drawn as to whether or not it logs a fault and intermittently hyper flashes. Other Ford models you can reprogram the BCM to fix it, but nobody has cracked the coding on the Kuga / Escape.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts