Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I was about to do an oil change on my Mk2 Kuga 2013 AWD 2.0 diesel and after removing the lower tray discovered oil stains in various locations. There is a stain area around the sump which made me think sump gasket but there is also oil on the bottom of the gearbox system. I've also noticed from looking down in the engine that oil can be seen near to the gear shift linkage, quite high up.

There seems to be various posts online about transmission oil leakages and I'm wondering if this is what the problem is?

Advice?

Thanks for reading

Attachments

·
Registered
873 Posts
Quite hard to make out but it looks like diesel engine oil, can you smell it? (Gearbox oil smells of cat wee..).

Possible crankshaft main oil seal is leaking looking at the stains on the gearbox, it will leak onto the back flywheel and fling it everywhere.

If it gets worse you'll end up with slipping clutch (contaminated with engine oil).

·
Registered
550 Posts
Clean it off as much as you can, a degreaser then power wash. Take for a spin without under tray and should see what it is and where coming from.

I think it is engine oil, black and will smell of... diesel engine oil.

I to suspect crankshaft oil seal, Over the years ford are known for it. (Mothers 09 fiesta done it for 10 years)
Check not a breather pipe higher up or a leaking oil pipe feed.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Did my PTU oil change yesterday, (the small gearbox in your picture 465)

Whilst I was under there, as we say up Norff, gave it a 'rit good coat of looking at'
Mine is a 2016 180 awd as per signature.

After 41k miles mine is just starting to leak, or should I say stain from a weep. (That oil is thin, hot, & takes a lot to stay in)
The engine has a cast iron block, then bolted to the underside is a 30mm deep alloy casting, I think they call this a oil ladder, (see pic 465) Then the sump bolts to the said ladder. Tra1701 must be a 163hp (metal sump) as mine 180, has a plastic lattice sump.
I had a good look at the flywheel, and from what I could see - no leakage all good
Around sump - plastic in my case all good - (aside I might invest in a new sump plug next time. even with a new rubber seal does seem to be some staining, something or nothing or just leftovers from changing oil last?)

The staining seems to be coming from between the cast block and the oil ladder, a 30mm stain right in the back corner gearbox side. Dissimilar metals with different expansion rates, and the liquid sealant from factory can only take so such. So small not worth posting a picture, nothing to worry about, made a note and will reinspect next oil change.

Just thought I would share my 'findings'

1 - 5 of 5 Posts