Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner
41 - 52 of 52 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
No absolutely not, it could get into the spare wheel well from the flaps but definitely not the headliner.

There's only a couple of places it could be if the headliner is wet, roof rails, grommets, high level brake light or boot seal.
No absolutely not, it could get into the spare wheel well from the flaps but definitely not the headliner.

There's only a couple of places it could be if the headliner is wet, roof rails, grommets, high level brake light or boot seal.
Iam finally making a bit of progress with tracing this leak,looking under the headlining with the hose on drivers side rails there is no water coming through to headlining nor is there anything coming through the repaired grommets to the headlining However when i check in boot the waters running out from behind the drivers side trim in boot and running into the spare wheel well, unfortunately ive had to use the car tonight and tomorrow before i can strip it down again and follow the water to see where its comi g from ,at least now i can see it runnig into boot so should be easier to find ,i might take drivers roof bar off again and seal under the whole base of each side aswell as the mounting threaded hole as i only put sikaflex in the hole and a little around it ,now i can rule out the grommets and boot seal and third brake light ,i sprayed water up above flaps under bumper aswell and no water came in boot,so its drivers side rail or possibly running in maybe the light ,not checked the light yet 馃榾

Administrator
Ford Kuga 2013 Titanium X
That's good that you're making progress, it can't be the lights if the headlining is getting wet though. I think it sounds like it could be the roof rail. When I did mine, I cleaned it all off with IPA and then I started squirting it in the hole and then made a rectangular sealant base the same shape as the roof rail pad. I figured that there should actually be a bit of a gap along the side as any water that gets in between the rails would need somewhere to go, otherwise it would just fill up.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
That's good that you're making progress, it can't be the lights if the headlining is getting wet though. I think it sounds like it could be the roof rail. When I did mine, I cleaned it all off with IPA and then I started squirting it in the hole and then made a rectangular sealant base the same shape as the roof rail pad. I figured that there should actually be a bit of a gap along the side as any water that gets in between the rails would need somewhere to go, otherwise it would just fill up.
Removed both side panel trims in boot today and the felt behind both sides is bone dry,i pulled the headlining down a bit more and looked and its wet but that could still be from when the water was dripping through the grommet, ran hose over sunroof and bases of the roof bars and looked in where i see the roof rail bolts coming through roof and they are dry and then when i put the hose just in the gulley where the grommets and rear wash hose is ,its started to run into the boot from behind a panel at the front of the boot and run into spare wheel well and its coming in fast out the bit on drivers side of the boot that has the black bag in it ive binned the black bag as its soaking ,passenger side bag is dry,i actually think it might be the boot seal itself as i was pouring water just in the bit with the boot hinges NONE on roof or rail bases and it was entering the boot through the black bag hole

Iam going to take off boot seal and silicone around the ridge right round boot opening and fit the boot seal again and see of it works as i dont really want to pay 拢83 for a new seal from ford when iam not 100% sure its where its leaking through.
Thoughts?

Registered
Premium White 2018 Kuga ST 183BHP Auto 4x4
Removed both side panel trims in boot today and the felt behind both sides is bone dry,i pulled the headlining down a bit more and looked and its wet but that could still be from when the water was dripping through the grommet, ran hose over sunroof and bases of the roof bars and looked in where i see the roof rail bolts coming through roof and they are dry and then when i put the hose just in the gulley where the grommets and rear wash hose is ,its started to run into the boot from behind a panel at the front of the boot and run into spare wheel well and its coming in fast out the bit on drivers side of the boot that has the black bag in it ive binned the black bag as its soaking ,passenger side bag is dry,i actually think it might be the boot seal itself as i was pouring water just in the bit with the boot hinges NONE on roof or rail bases and it was entering the boot through the black bag hole

Iam going to take off boot seal and silicone around the ridge right round boot opening and fit the boot seal again and see of it works as i dont really want to pay 拢83 for a new seal from ford when iam not 100% sure its where its leaking through.
Thoughts?
A few months ago I had a leak into boot area and dealer changed rear tailgate seal and changed rear carpets as they said it was leaking form there under warranty. You may put silicon around seal but the seal may be distorted.

Administrator
The area you mention where the black bag is, is outside of the boot seal. So if the water was getting in through the seal, I don鈥檛 know how it would get to where you鈥檙e saying it鈥檚 entering the car. If it was bypassing the seal, it would be around the headlining and down the side panels.

Reactions: M Couper

Registered
The area you mention where the black bag is, is outside of the boot seal. So if the water was getting in through the seal, I don鈥檛 know how it would get to where you鈥檙e saying it鈥檚 entering the car. If it was bypassing the seal, it would be around the headlining and down the side panels.
I forgot to mention that I did have water leaking form the rear passenger light so this would backup what Andspenka is saying.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
A few months ago I had a leak into boot area and dealer changed rear tailgate seal and changed rear carpets as they said it was leaking form there under warranty. You may put silicon around seal but the seal may be distorted.
You probably are right but the way i see it is i probably will need to buy the seal anyway so i may aswell try this first as iam not 100% sure its the seal,if it gets a bit better then i know its the seal and can buy one but iam not financially in a position just now to buy one after being made redundant so understandibly dont want to waste money if this might work
I will try it first and see

Registered
You probably are right but the way i see it is i probably will need to buy the seal anyway so i may aswell try this first as iam not 100% sure its the seal,if it gets a bit better then i know its the seal and can buy one but iam not financially in a position just now to buy one after being made redundant so understandibly dont want to waste money if this might work
I will try it first and see
You could move the start position of seal when you reinstall the seal this my help if the seal is distorted/ leaking in one spot.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #50 · (Edited)
I see what your saying and that makes sense in my head but ive just went back out put the hose again only between the 2 grommets and let the water run against the seal it looks like its somehow getting to the inside of the seal by the time it gets to the boot opening amd pouring out and through where my finger in picture is and out the black bag hole and beside it also running along inside of seal at boot opening and into spare wheel ,its pouring in no wonder it was so deep

If its not the boot seal iam really not sure what else it can be as its not dripping from roof bar mounts or washer pipe or hinges or (grommets anymore ) but iam not putting hose on roof only in area of the hinges and grommets what i will say is when i moved the boot seal a bit the leak got worse ,iam baffled as when i first went out today for over an hour i couldnt get it to leak in anywhere and just as i was about to give up it started pouring in where i mentioned.
I even removed the tail light but theres no way the waters getting in from there

Sorry to be a pain its just really frustrating this as i know if i dont fix it soon its going to stink not to mention all the wiring thats getting soaking everywhere

Administrator
Yeah, that makes sense what you're saying.

Registered
I see what your saying and that makes sense in my head but ive just went back out put the hose again only between the 2 grommets and let the water run against the seal it looks like its somehow getting to the inside of the seal by the time it gets to the boot opening amd pouring out and through where my finger in picture is and out the black bag hole and beside it also running along inside of seal at boot opening and into spare wheel ,its pouring in no wonder it was so deep View attachment 5978 View attachment 5979 View attachment 5980 View attachment 5981
If its not the boot seal iam really not sure what else it can be as its not dripping from roof bar mounts or washer pipe or hinges or (grommets anymore ) but iam not putting hose on roof only in area of the hinges and grommets what i will say is when i moved the boot seal a bit the leak got worse ,iam baffled as when i first went out today for over an hour i couldnt get it to leak in anywhere and just as i was about to give up it started pouring in where i mentioned.
I even removed the tail light but theres no way the waters getting in from there

Sorry to be a pain its just really frustrating this as i know if i dont fix it soon its going to stink not to mention all the wiring thats getting soaking everywhere
Did you ever find out the cause of the leak I appear to have the exact same issue?

41 - 52 of 52 Posts