Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all looking for some help,my panoramic roof seems to be leaking, i thought it was condensation but it seems to be getting worse,the head lining is bone dry so it only seems to been the glass thats wet and when i drive then it drips,i know the kugas are bad for leaking through the roof bar bolt holes and down onto head lining etc but my headliners dry ,is there drain holes or anything that might be blocked

Any ideas? Please 2014 titanium x

·
Registered
384 Posts
I think from when I had a leak in mine the dealer said there are drains from the roof surround down the door pillars on each side which can become blocked. They used a curtain wire to push thro them to check but they were clear as the car was to new to be clogged with anything. I think there were previous posts on here showing diagrams of the positions of the drains and the access points.
With mine they arranged to have the glass resealed but when the windscreen company arrived they found the pano roof glasses are not bonded in but clamped in. The whole pano roof was replaced which took over six weeks and must have cost a fortune, eventually the leak was found to be from the flexy cable container to the tailgate. Good luck with sorting the problem.

Reactions: Martin1977

·
Administrator
Ford Kuga 2013 Titanium X
2,373 Posts
The sunroof drains are in the 4 extreme corners of the roof, the front 2 exit down the A pillars and into the space between the front doors and wings. The rears exit in 2 different places, the drivers side is in the boot well next to the tailgate strut and the passenger side runs down the rear pillar and exits behind the rear bumper.

If you carefully pour some water into a funnel right in the corners, you should see it running out, if it is, then they're not blocked.

Reactions: Les and smartguy69

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The sunroof drains are in the 4 extreme corners of the roof, the front 2 exit down the A pillars and into the space between the front doors and wings. The rears exit in 2 different places, the drivers side is in the boot well next to the tailgate strut and the passenger side runs down the rear pillar and exits behind the rear bumper.

If you carefully pour some water into a funnel right in the corners, you should see it running out, if it is, then they're not blocked.
Hi there ,thanks for the advice,are the drain holes at the extreme edge of roof ie next to edge of windscreen and rear window or are they under roof bars or at edges of the sunroof itself i know you said roof but i cant remember seing any drain holes anywhere just so i can go and investigate

Thank you

·
Administrator
2,373 Posts
Yeah, sorry that wasn't very clear, I meant inside the sunroof opening.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, sorry that wasn't very clear, I meant inside the sunroof opening.
Excellent ive just been and double checked, unfortunately i park my car on a slight hill so any water runs back slightly,anyway my headliners absolutely soaking right above the tiny back drivers side window ,the one just at where the rear seatbelts come out,iam thinking over the next few days i will take roof bars off and reseal in there as ive been reading others have hade theirs leaki
ng under roof bars
Also the glass is soaking of sunroof( but that could be condendation due to the leak under bars maybe )
Pictures the wet sunroof
Thanks

·
Administrator
2,373 Posts
If the headlining is wet where you say it is, I would check the rubber grommets between the tailgate and roof. That's exactly where mine was getting in.

Pull the headlining down a little and get a hose pipe running slowly on the roof, you will be able to see if it's running in around the grommets and down the wires.

I'm not sure if you have seen this thread..... Water Leaking into Boot Area

·
Registered
384 Posts
Would agree with andspenka s post above, exactly identical to mine. My headlining was wet above the small back window and above the windscreen. The windows were streaming with condensation, the problem was the flexy pipe to the tailgate not sealing properly.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If the headlining is wet where you say it is, I would check the rubber grommets between the tailgate and roof. That's exactly where mine was getting in.

Pull the headlining down a little and get a hose pipe running slowly on the roof, you will be able to see if it's running in around the grommets and down the wires.

I'm not sure if you have seen this thread..... Water Leaking into Boot Area
Well ive just been out and checked again and it gets worse,ive checked under the headlining and its soaking right across the roof but strangly poured two buckets of water over the roof rails and over the two grommets and pipe at the top of boot while checking under headlining and i cant see any water coming in everything in boot is dry so i checked in spare wheel well and well i have a swimming pool in there

Iam going to remove roof rails and reseal them and i will reseal around the grommets aswell and hopefully that works but i cant see anything coming in ,strange

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Excellent ive just been and double checked, unfortunately i park my car on a slight hill so any water runs back slightly,anyway my headliners absolutely soaking right above the tiny back drivers side window ,the one just at where the rear seatbelts come out,iam thinking over the next few days i will take roof bars off and reseal in there as ive been reading others have hade theirs leaki View attachment 5770 ng under roof bars
Also the glass is soaking of sunroof( but that could be condendation due to the leak under bars maybe )
Pictures the wet sunroof
Thanks

·
Administrator
2,373 Posts
It's more difficult to see if it's coming in the roof rails. One thing to check is the side panels inside the boot, they have a felt type insulation on the back. Mine was wet through, so I would pull the side panels off and have a look.

Reactions: Les

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It's more difficult to see if it's coming in the roof rails. One thing to check is the side panels inside the boot, they have a felt type insulation on the back. Mine was wet through, so I would pull the side panels off and have a look.
Ok i will go and check that,ive just picked up some black silicone so i can do it in morning ,iam pretty sure its coming in the roof rails though now ive ruled out the sunroof drainage holes ,when i checked around the grommets at top of boot there was signs of dampness there aswell

·
Administrator
2,373 Posts

If you can get the side panel off, the insulation over the wheel arch was wet along the bottom on mine.

I've been checking mine today and it's dry. We've had a lot of rain over the last week too, I still have a lot of condensation in the car and also under the headlining but I think it's purely down to the weather being so cold and wet. It just isn't warm enough to dry it out.

Reactions: Les

·
Registered
Premium White 2018 Kuga ST 183BHP Auto 4x4
433 Posts
I had water in the wheel area an they changed the tailgate seal and rear carpets. On the tailgate end of the drain holes I sucked on the drain pipes not a good taste but had a mouthful of water and crap.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
View attachment 5782

If you can get the side panel off, the insulation over the wheel arch was wet along the bottom on mine.

I've been checking mine today and it's dry. We've had a lot of rain over the last week too, I still have a lot of condensation in the car and also under the headlining but I think it's purely down to the weather being so cold and wet. It just isn't warm enough to dry it out.
I hope thats it sorted for you now then,did you just seal around your grommets or did you do the roof rails aswell

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I hope thats it sorted for you now then,did you just seal around your grommets or did you do the roof rails aswell
Is this hole above tailgate strut tge where the drain exits from pan roof ? ,if it just runs behind the plastic trim could it be leaking into spare wheel well there ?

·
Administrator
2,373 Posts
Yes, that's the drivers side sunroof drain. It's on the outside of the boot seal and where any rain water runs off the car anyway.

There's no way into the car from there.

Yes I sealed around the grommets, I took them out, ran a bead around the edges of the hole then re-fitted the grommets and sealed around them.

Reactions: Les and smartguy69

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yes, that'd the drivers side sunroof drain. It's on the outside of the boot seal and where any rain water runs off the car anyway.

There's no way into the car from there.

Yes I sealed around the grommets, I took them out, ran a bead around the edges of the hole then re-fitted the grommets and sealed around them.

View attachment 5787
Excellent i will do this and reseal under roof bars in the morning and hopefully that will sort it ,i might try get some heat in it to dry out but think that will take a while,maybe leave windows down on dry days

Thanks for your help 👍

·
Administrator
2,373 Posts
No Probs, let me know how you get on (y)

1 - 20 of 52 Posts