Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 14 plate Ford Kuga Titanium X which I got from Evans Halshaw. In 2018 it randomly refused to start and gave lots of issues such as headlight malfunction, engine service now and key free ford not detected. After a lengthy nightmare chat with Ford and their master technician checking the vehicle, they provided that it was a faulty earth wire under the bonnet on the passenger side and had fixed it.

Flash forward to 2 weeks ago and my partner reverses out a parking space and causes damage to the front passenger bumper and wheel arch. Low speed and appeared cosmetic only. Any way got the vehicle repaired through insurance. We got it back on Wednesday evening. No issues until today. . .

As i was leaving a car park area I heard a strange noise coming from the front passenger wheel area (kind of like something was trapped) was going no faster than 10 M.P.H. the car started to labour and it sounded like it was pulsing. I then got notifications on the trip that "steering lock was on", "engine service now" and the "Key Free Ford not detected". I pulled over and pressed the stop/start button to turn off the car however it didn't respond and continued to make noises as if it was about to stall but never did (vehicle was stationary with handbrake applied). After a minute the car eventually stopped running.

I tried starting the car again however got the "Key Free Ford Not Detected" message. I called a recovery vehicle who attended and couldn't figure out what was wrong. He ran a diagnostic tool which didn't bring up any error codes.

Recovered the car to my home address. I checked all the fuses and they appear fine. When I sit in the car with all the doors closed I don't get the Key Free Ford error message however the vehicle still won't start and there is no warning messages. When I have a door open and try to start the car it brings up the Key Free Ford error message. . . Auxiliaries still work (Radio, lights, air blowers etc.,) car just won't even attempt to start.

Does anyone have any idea of the source of the problem?

My current thoughts are Ford did a botched job with the earth cable and when the insurance replaced the full bumper and wheel arch they loosened or disturbed the earth cable.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Stevie.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Check the battery earth cable carefully for corrosion and the sensor on it (two small wires go to it.) Look into ForScan as then you'll be able to check all the vehicle's systems for errors. More than a generic OBD2 scanner will do.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just hauled the battery out to check (ridiculous to access) doesn't seem to be any corrosion and the wires look ok.

Tried leaving the battery disconnected for half an hour in the hopes it would reset itself but nothing. Still the same issue.

I looked on the ForScan website and downloaded the demo version but need a reader, any suggestions?

·
Registered
2016 Mk2 Titanium 180 4x4
93 Posts
Have you got a multimeter to check the battery, I bought a 66 plate in February stop start stopped working during lock down found out how to check battery on YouTube tested it an it was knackered, dealer reimbursed me

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
While you've got it apart there's a flat plastic box type bit in front of the battery. It's got an electrical cable going into it and is actually a "distribution board" for the positive feed, with fuses etc IIRC. Pull the cover off and check all the bolt down terminals are tight and check the fuses. I recall one person found loose connections in there.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I didn't have a multi meter but did find a mains battery charger. Fired it on and it looked like the battery was low. I've put it on fast charge so will let you know if it fixes the problem.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Battery fully charged however still same issue. I've contacted the repairer who is sending out a mechanic to look at it. Will let you know. Checked the distribution board and everything seems OK.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So. . . I rechecked the fuses and turns out the starter relay fuses had blown (couldn't see on first check due to where numbers were placed). Now away for a replacement fuse. Hopefully that will rectify the issue and its not a case that the actual starter is the problem.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Saga continues. Fuse replaced but still not starting. Temperature gauge on the trip is showing as -4°C which is way off. When trying to start i can hear a clicking noise from the fuse box in the luggage compartment.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So finally got the Kuga back from the garage turns out Starter motor had seized in. Replaced and starts no issues however . . . . . Turns out there is an oil leak that has been causing oil to leak onto the starter motor and this has caused it to fail. As it was in an auto electrics they can't identify where the leak is coming from. I have to put into another garage. . . .any idea as to where the leak is coming from?

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Rear main oil seal can leak, cover back of flywheel in oil and fling it at starter.

Needs undertray off and on a ramp really for good look around engine.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I didn't have a multi meter but did find a mains battery charger. Fired it on and it looked like the battery was low. I've put it on fast charge so will let you know if it fixes the problem.
[
Same thing had happened to me, I have a 17 plate kuga. Won’t start just says normal. Tried everything and waiting for RAC to come out , any ideas??

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
If it's on the original battery I would change it as a matter of course, and don't forget to get the BMS (battery monitoring system) reset, otherwise the alternator won't charge it correctly.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Rear main oil seal can leak, cover back of flywheel in oil and fling it at starter.

Needs undertray off and on a ramp really for good look around engine.
Thanks, I'll try and have a look. Don't think its a fast leak, I've driven it a few times and not noticed any oil visible on the starter.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
@Pablo22 Turns out my starter motor had seized in. Could try hitting it to see if it will disengage other than that RAC should be able to diagnose it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If it's on the original battery I would change it as a matter of course, and don't forget to get the BMS (battery monitoring system) reset, otherwise the alternator won't charge it correctly.
Yeah think I'll do that, thanks.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Thanks, I'll try and have a look. Don't think its a fast leak, I've driven it a few times and not noticed any oil visible on the starter.
It's gearbox and flywheel off to do, can be a pain to get new seal in and sealing correctly so I'd leave well alone if it's not dripping.

There's normally a notch cut out at lowest point of bellhousing where the oil would seep out. If it's not wet there I'd be happy to button it back up.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It's gearbox and flywheel off to do, can be a pain to get new seal in and sealing correctly so I'd leave well alone if it's not dripping.

There's normally a notch cut out at lowest point of bellhousing where the oil would seep out. If it's not wet there I'd be happy to button it back up.
Thanks! I took it a local garage that I trust. He had a look at it and couldn't find any leaks. He cleaned up all the pipes as there was residual oil on them. Left it running for a good hour and did not see anything else. I'll keep an eye on it until next service.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts