Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Because ofsome membersdelivery mileage issues raised (sometimes high) someone advised that on delivery I check the total mileage travelledas sometimes the odometercan be set to show the mileage travelled on the last journey (say 4 miles) and hide the true overall total mileage (90?) howdo I establish what the total true mileage travelled is? what buttons do I need to press during handover. Thanks for any info. Bob.

·
Premium Member
2,975 Posts
Don't know whether I've read your questionright but the Kinfo panel shows the mileage covered during the lifetime of the car and also the mileage since the last reset (trip).

This pic taken from Flickr shows the orange info panel and to the bottom of the panel the very last line of info shows the trip mileage (KM's in this case) and the line above it shows the total mileage/KM covered since it was built.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/azizhaddad/2610943337/

All you can ever change, as I understand,is to reset the trip mileage as to change the master reading would be clocking the car and of course illegal.

Maybe some of the other members have experience of this being possible that I haven't yet come across?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/blogautomobile/2587749355/

Edited by: Gazwats

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Gazwats acouple of yearsago now my wife picked up a new car(Toyota) the mileage showing on the digital display as webelieved wasjust 8 miles, we assumed this to be the total miles that the car had travelled, however as we were unfamiliar with the display the 8 milestravelledaccording to the display was incorrect the total miles was discovered whenthe carhad it's first tank fill about 10 miles on from new, the reset button was pressed twice I think, and the total mileage was displayed of 87miles despitethe vehicle as far as we were aware ofonly travelling a total 18 miles( 10 plus 8 deliverymiles) in short the car had been used and thedisplay had then been zeroed at some point then driven showingagain, thenshowingjust 8 miles, when in fact in had already done 79 miles. Gazwats No problemwhatsoever If the Kuga display shows the total miles travelled andthedisplay cannot hide true mileage as you have suggested then absolutelyfine, my wifesToyotacould just show reset mileageonly hiding the total miles travelled and if you were not familiar with display then you could easily be duped. Clear as mud now?Thanks Gazwats.

·
Registered
156 Posts
As gazwats says - it is illegal to rewind the true mileage of any car. In the old days "clocking" the old mechanical mileometers was a regular thing with crooked car salesmen.
I would suspect that the same is true today with the aid some clever computer trickery.

But I would find it hard to believe that it would be done to "wipe" 80 odd miles of a new car. It would only be done to remove thousands of miles off a well used car.

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry Gazwats & Digger ApologiesNo not clocking, I'mgettin on my own nerves now. On the Toyota it had a digital dash but if you pressed the odometer trip button say twice, only the present journey miles travelled 5-10-15- 20 miles or 0000 would be displayed and not as the Kuga photo highlightswhich is both the total miles and tripped miles the Toyota depending on what button you pressed would only display either total miles, or trip journey miles not both at the same time, the dealer left the display on trip journey miles travelled only, giving me the impression that the car had travelled 8 miles only,however when I filled up and pressed the trip button once ? twice? againit displayed the total overal mileage, sorry no clocking, just a dealer taking advantageof a clueless customertotally unaware of howa Toyotadigital display functions by using shall we say a little bit of smoke and mirrors. My original point was that these cars are delivered on the back of a transporter so why 70 - 80so called del miles on clock?

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nowt to get stressed or worriedabout as Kugahad travelleda total of just 5 miles on delivery/handoverdone over 600 miles in 3 days is that a record . . . . . Is it? Bob.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts