Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

141 - 160 of 341 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Hi thanks, do you know where the second usb connection comes from. The back of my hub has 2 usb and 1 power I’m guessing one of the usb goes to APIM for the card reader but not sure where the other usb goes for plugging in a phone or do you just use the connection that’s already there with sync 1

·
Registered
217 Posts
Ahhh. Mine only had one usb plus the sd card reader. I might be wrong but it could run all of them. Do you have a pic of it.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Mark..... you need to take power fir the hub from the main Apim loom. Can't t remember what pin numbers are but i only used live & ground. The usb lead (Sat Nav), i believe is powered from the Apim.
Paul, I don't think he has the plug that goes into the 8 pin connector on the bottom of the media hub. You need the plug for 12v and earth. How come there are two usb outlets on the back. There is only one on the APIM and only one on the Kuga media hub.

Attachments

·
Registered
217 Posts
A shopping trolley perhaps? That's a hard hit, hopefully not expensive to repair.
Just had it assessed by body shop, they are certain it was a rear door due to no other damage to the door itself. Going through the insurance as its going to cost a few quid more than our £280 excess 😞😞

Reactions: murcod

·
Registered
217 Posts
Paul, I don't think he has the plug that goes into the 8 pin connector on the bottom of the media hub. You need the plug for 12v and earth. How come there are two usb outlets on the back. There is only one on the APIM and only one on the Kuga media hub.
Yep thats how mine was, the main usb and the eight pin connector. I think Andews had more wires in his.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Yep thats how mine was, the main usb and the eight pin connector. I think Andews had more wires in his.
Yes but why are there two micro usb ports on the back when the APIM has just one.

Is one of the ports in and the other out of is just one of them used. This isn't for me as I have the Kuga one which has a 12 pin connector.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #147
Mine had 8 wires, it was my loom that didn't have enough wires in it. That's why I made my own from the centre console loom up to the back of the APIM. I now know that was totally unecessary, I've only used the + & - for the Sync 3 USB hub and it works fine.

Yes but why are there two micro usb ports on the back when the APIM has just one.

Is one of the ports in and the other out of is just one of them used. This isn't for me as I have the Kuga one which has a 12 pin connector.
It's like a pass through, some cars have USB's in a couple of places. I'm not sure if the Focus has one in the console in front of the gearstick and one in the arm rest.

Reactions: smartguy69

·
Registered
79 Posts
Mine had 8 wires, it was my loom that didn't have enough wires in it. That's why I made my own from the centre console loom up to the back of the APIM. I now know that was totally unecessary, I've only used the + & - for the Sync 3 USB hub and it works fine.

It's like a pass through, some cars have USB's in a couple of places. I'm not sure if the Focus has one in the console in front of the gearstick and one in the arm rest.
Ah so do you think I only need to connect up one of the USB connections in the back of the hub, and that will run both the SD card and the USB.
I am ready with my new loom now going to do a test fit and power up of the screen. I can plug the hub in and see what happens.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #151
That's looking neat!

Yes you only need 1 USB to the APIM. My Sync 2 USB's were coloured, 1 black and 1 grey. If yours is the same use the black one. Have you got the mini USB extension to run to the area above the glovebox?

·
Registered
79 Posts
That's looking neat!

Yes you only need 1 USB to the APIM. My Sync 2 USB's were coloured, 1 black and 1 grey. If yours is the same use the black one. Have you got the mini USB extension to run to the area above the glovebox?
They are hard to get hold of I have managed to get one 1.5 meters just hope it’s long enough.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #153
They are hard to get hold of I have managed to get one 1.5 meters just hope it’s long enough.
I found that I couldn't find a male to male but I picked up the extension no probs. I think 1.5M should be fine.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Andrew, I am not sure I fully understand about the mini usb lead extension. I thought it just had one usb cable that goes from the media hub to the APIM.

I know the APIM for sync 1 is behind the glovebox.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #155
The Sync 1 USB is part of the centre console loom, the Sync 2 USB hub with SD card has mini USB''s on the back so you need a lead to run from the arm rest (or wherever you put your USB hub) to the back of the APIM. For that you would need a male to male mini USB, but if you get a mini USB extension, you can plug the male end into the hub and run it to the glovebox area where the Sync 1 APIM was and plug the car male into the extension.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
The Sync 1 USB is part of the centre console loom, the Sync 2 USB hub with SD card has mini USB''s on the back so you need a lead to run from the arm rest (or wherever you put your USB hub) to the back of the APIM. For that you would need a male to male mini USB, but if you get a mini USB extension, you can plug the male end into the hub and run it to the glovebox area where the Sync 1 APIM was and plug the car male into the extension.
Thanks Andrew. That confirms what I thought. I actually bought a centre console from a C-max that came with a full loom.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
First stage for me. Glovebox has been removed and APIM located. I couldn't find it at first and then looked up.

Wish me luck for the next stage which is check sync 2 screen works as well as my extension lead with the pin swaps.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
I had to google how to remove the glovebox as its different to any other car I have owned. You have to take the full box out and not just the bit that drops down. Found a screw missing already and wonder if that was causing the occassional rattle I get from that area. Easy enough though. You will need torx screwdriver set. Just 2 set screws hold the APIM to the car. Worse bit was try to disconnect the glove box light as I couldn't see with the sun.

My trim removal tools I bought used for the first time as you need to remove the panel at the doors side of the glovebox.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #160
I had to google how to remove the glovebox as its different to any other car I have owned. You have to take the full box out and not just the bit that drops down. Found a screw missing already and wonder if that was causing the occassional rattle I get from that area. Easy enough though. You will need torx screwdriver set. Just 2 set screws hold the APIM to the car. Worse bit was try to disconnect the glove box light as I couldn't see with the sun.

My trim removal tools I bought used for the first time as you need to remove the panel at the doors side of the glovebox.
You should have just asked, I know where all the screws are :p

You don't need the trim tools to get the side panel off, you just open the glovebox and you can get your fingers in to pop it off, or maybe that's just me cos I've had it in and out more times than I can remember.

EDIT: Forgot to say, the glovebox light just unclips from the glovebox, it's easier to unclip it than trying to unplug the wire.

141 - 160 of 341 Posts