Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

81 - 100 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
840 Posts
Does anyone know what the ms-can connections are for? I have just fitted sync 3 in place of sync 1 (54 pin connector reaches fine if you untape the loom), I haven't changed the steering wheel pins yet from the fcdim socket, but it all seems to work ok - navigation, dab, Bluetooth, reverse sensors with graphics. I don't know where the GPS module is, would be good if I can get away without running the wires there
Hi and well done for doing the upgrade. I have all the parts to do mine and wiring loom made up. Hopefully get time in the next two week.

Andspenka and Balder's gave me loads of info and I believe the connection for the GPS is done behind the clocks. I have a message on it somewhere but from memory you lower the steering wheel down, remove the rubber that sits on top of the steering wheel which gives access to the torx screws to remove the clocks. Gps module is behind there somewhere.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Oh right, I changed the clocks a while back to the higher spec, wouldn't have thought to look for it then.
I would advise, as it isn't that clear from the original post, that you have to make up a mount for the screen, the bracket only holds the cd player

·
Registered
840 Posts
Oh right, I changed the clocks a while back to the higher spec, wouldn't have thought to look for it then.
I would advise, as it isn't that clear from the original post, that you have to make up a mount for the screen, the bracket only holds the cd player
I just noticed you upgraded to sync 3 and not sync 2. Sync 3 has an antenna for the GPS and has a fakra plug on the end which plugs into the APIM. I thing the GPS antenna goes in the housing at back of the mirror. Not 100% though.

Does that mean you still have a couple of wires not connected.

·
Registered
4 Posts
That's right, but as it's functional at the moment I'm going to try and find the correct crimp terminals to finish the rest of the job off. I did originally get a sync 2 apim but while trying to find a 2nd hand cd player bracket I found a very cheap nav sync 3

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
I'm going to try and find the correct crimp terminals to finish the rest of the job
I'm not sure what type of terminals you require, but I did use TE Connectivity GET .64 terminals to do some wiring in the steering wheel. They seem to be used throughout the vehicle.

Part numbers 718-7145 (or 1393366-1) for 18.5-20AWG wire and 756-0843 (or 1393367-1).

(I happened to have them sitting next to me, so thought I'd post the details.)

·
Registered
840 Posts
That's right, but as it's functional at the moment I'm going to try and find the correct crimp terminals to finish the rest of the job off. I did originally get a sync 2 apim but while trying to find a 2nd hand cd player bracket I found a very cheap nav sync 3
Which wires is it you are stuck with. Is it pin 16 & 17 or 53 & 54 on the car side of the multi-pin connector by any chance.

I know you said everything worked but does the temp display show on screen when you adjust it higher or lower.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi everyone and happy new year for all
I’am from France and i have a 2012 Ford C max with ( i think) Sync 1 with the 5 inch screen,navigation, voice and steering wheel control.
I would like to upgrade it to sync 3,i have already bought all the composants but the problem is that when i removed the glove box i was surprised to discover that the Sync 1 module is replaced by a Bluetooth module witch has 54 pins connector and less cables (9),it’s
950B9834-1CCD-408F-BB06-BB0078997878.jpeg
totally different but it seems possible to make a conversion.
Any help is welcome. 950B9834-1CCD-408F-BB06-BB0078997878.jpeg

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi everyone,i’am answering my questions.
Indeed the 54 pins connector is plugged in the BVC module witch has a different wiring than the Sync 1 so i should modify the wiring according to the Focus electrical diagram and fortunately all the wiring is the same .

·
Registered
840 Posts
Hi, I haven't done mine yet and looks like andspenka and balders are not picking up the thread.

Yes it is the same as the Focus. If you have the diagram then just follow that. It may be easier to do the pin swaps if you buy this lead from Amazon. I adapted the lead but haven't fitted or tried it yet. You can cut back the wires you don't need and tale them up or if you are very careful it is possible to remove the wires you don't want. It's best to have a pin removal tool but I made mine from a hairgrip.

For sync 3 you may have to change the usb media hub located in the console and possibly the wiring loom that goes to that as well. I am not 100% as I only bought Sync2 parts.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi smartguy69
I have it and I already did the pins swaps from sync 1 to sync 3 but as i said my car car has Bluetooth Voice Control module and the wiring is different so i should rewire it to fit with the sync 3 APIM and I should also replace the ACM because mine has only one plug in the back and it’s not compatible with the sync 3 system.
I have all the parts including the Apple play usb hub.

·
Registered
840 Posts
If i remember the ACM is the CD player. Sorry I trying to do this from memory. I was told it is best to change the CD player for one that is compatible for Sync 2 when I bought all the bits for mine (Sync2). I believe Sync 2 and Sync 3 Cd player are compatible.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Just noticed the additions to this .... sorry..;)... I had to change my ACM the original would not run traffic updates for Sync 2.. trivial I know but it was doing my head in ......:D:D

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi, I am back with good news.
I have been looking for informations these last days and a guy from another forum gave me a link witch is very useful for those who want realize this projecthttps://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/forum/2-ford-focus-club/
Hope admins accept it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have recently completed a full upgrade from Sync 1 to Sync 2. It was much more work than I ever first imagined but it is 100% worth it.

For anyone considering doing this, you need to be confident with wiring, ideally soldering but you could use connectors. There are a number of the pins that are in a different place on the Sync 2 54 pin connector to where they are on Sync 1 54 pin connector, plus the Sync 1 module is in a different place, it’s above the glovebox. On Sync 2 it’s mounted on the back of the touchscreen. There is a conversion cable on Amazon (pictured) that I used but even that wasn’t long enough and I had to extend it. However, It did make the pin swaps a lot easier because I didn’t have to remove the pins from the plugs which is the trickiest bit. I cut the wires, extended them and did the pin swaps at the same time.

There is a lot of work involved and it really pays to do your homework before starting, there's a lot of info on the various forums about doing the upgrade. A lot have done this in a Focus but it's very similar in the Kuga. One thing to get your head around is the names of everything. When you read up about it you’ll hear references to APIM (touchscreen), FCDIM (your small screen), ACM (CD player/radio unit) & FCIM (Fascia button panel). You will also need to have the right media hub, it has to have an SD card slot so you can add the map card (if you upgrade to Sync 3 you won’t need the SD card slot as the maps are stored on the unit).

It is possible to use the cd player/radio unit from Sync 1 and a lot that I have seen for sale come with it, mine did. At first I stuck with the original one from my car but I had problems with the Bluetooth so I ended up swapping to the unit that came in the package I bought. You can get it to work with the unit from the Sync 1 but it will need more programming to work fully in conjunction with the Sync 2.

There are a number of parts that you will need to source which are different between the 2 systems. The cd player/radio unit needs to be lifted up and repositioned above the screen so you need a bracket for this, I found them hard to come by and had to buy one direct from Ford. The top dash cover is different, it’s longer and has a slot in it for the cd player, again not easy to get hold of the complete unit. Mine came without the mesh and the small front part but I did manage to get hold of both bits eventually.

Another thing to be aware of is that there’s a considerable amount of reconstruction to the inner dash and what I mean by this is with a saw! All the original mountings for the cd player need to be removed to allow the touchscreen and new fascia to fit. It is quite a task and not for the faint hearted. It also means that you can't go back to Sync 1 without changing the dashboard.

Once the unit is in and in, you need to do some programming with both Foccus and Forscan software, I had to play around with a few settings to get the parking display to work.

Anyway, if anyone is considering this you need to ask yourself, ARE YOU INSANE!!!

If anyone has any questions, I'd be happy to answer them.

Mate how did you get around the usb module
Which did you use and did you need any special cables

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi,how much did payed the metal ACM bracket and where did you find it ?
Have you any advice on how to cut properly plastic please?
Kind regards.

·
Registered
840 Posts
This may be of use.

You will possibly have to get the bracket from ford for the cd player or a scrap yard. Sync 2 and Sync 3 bracket is the same.

It's this one. I am sure I have the ford finnis code somewhere.

81 - 100 of 106 Posts