Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner
961 - 980 of 1007 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
As @MaoVi has said above, I had mine powered up just in the area where the glovebox is without the fascia or the wires to the GPSM. But, having said that, that was with all the connections made and the harness prepped and ready to go.

If I were to do it now, I would go straight to Sync 3. They were stupid expensive when I did mine and I got a good deal on the Sync 2. At the time, I never envisaged how much of a task it was! I thought I was in for a plug and play swap, how wrong I was!

View attachment 9697
Right, i found that the 7.5A fuse blew..... is the sync2 a 15a fuse??? - i may have found the problem! :) fingers crossed

@MaoVi i managed to get one from a local scrap yard for £20 :) may be worth going direct to a scrap yard?

Tom.

Reactions: MaoVi

·
Administrator
Ford Kuga 2013 Titanium X
2,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #962 ·
I never changed any fuses, so I would say mine is still on 7.5A

·
Registered
39 Posts
I never changed any fuses, so I would say mine is still on 7.5A
Okie doke! I'll get some more fuses, think one of the dangling wires might have blown the fuse - there's a lesson here somewhere 🤣

Reactions: andspenka

·
Super Moderator and Mr Grumpy
7,742 Posts
I didn't think my sync 2 unit worked at first and was just about to unplug it and it came to life. You need to have the new APIM (extension) lead done with pin swaps first.

My procedure was as andspenka with glovebox out, car APIM lead disconnected from sync 1 APIM with everything else to do with sync 1 still connected.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Yep, im an idiot. I had wired it completely wrong. 🤦‍♂️ no wonder it blew the fuse...

But a tip, you can use one of the pins to release the sockets in the female plug! 👍

·
Mr Modification
Ford Kuga MK2 16/12/2014 Titanium X Sport AWD 2.0TDCI 182PS 400Nm (T8MA) Manual Sync1
734 Posts
Yep, im an idiot. I had wired it completely wrong. 🤦‍♂️ no wonder it blew the fuse...

But a tip, you can use one of the pins to release the sockets in the female plug! 👍
I wouldn't remove pins without proper tool. You have to extend wiring loom to additional 30-40 cm, so you can swap the pins while you extend it. Safer metod and definitely you not damage plug/socket.

My sync3 wiring loom (before wrapping) :
Electrical wiring Art Wire Electrical supply Technology

·
Registered
39 Posts
I wouldn't remove pins without proper tool. You have to extend wiring loom to additional 30-40 cm, so you can swap the pins while you extend it. Safer metod and definitely you not damage plug/socket.

My sync3 wiring loom (before wrapping) :
View attachment 9698
That's very neat!
Also... success!
Musical instrument accessory Computer monitor Entertainment Musician Music

·
7,742 Posts
I bought a set of pin removal tools. Personally I thought they were a waste of money and very hit and miss. I found a large safety pin worked on some pins but my favourite for the APIM pin removal was a hairgrip ground down to suit. Hairgrips are made of decent steel unlike the soft removal pins from Amazon or similar.

Don't be tempted to use a safety pin to push out the female pins as it will expand the opening of the pin slightly which you don't want.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I bought a set of pin removal tools. Personally I thought they were a waste of money and very hit and miss. I found a large safety pin worked on some pins but my favourite for the APIM pin removal was a hairgrip ground down to suit. Hairgrips are made of decent steel unlike the soft removal pins from Amazon or similar.

Don't be tempted to use a safety pin to push out the female pins as it will expand the opening of the pin slightly which you don't want.
Thank you!
I think im all loomed up now! I found a diagram for the pins on a 12 pin hub luckily! :)
Cant wait to try it all tomorrow - and probably electrocute myself! :)

Attached for reference!
Font Technology Electronic device Number Pattern

·
Mr Modification
Ford Kuga MK2 16/12/2014 Titanium X Sport AWD 2.0TDCI 182PS 400Nm (T8MA) Manual Sync1
734 Posts
Thank you!
I think im all loomed up now! I found a diagram for the pins on a 12 pin hub luckily! :)
Cant wait to try it all tomorrow - and probably electrocute myself! :)

Attached for reference!
View attachment 9706
This is absolutely different compare to @andspenka conversion file.
Pins in use :
1, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12
- your file
1, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 - andspenka
Font Rectangle Parallel Screenshot Slope

They manage to upgrade using to their own conversion sheet so I wouldn't trust other schematics. They may come from other car.

·
7,742 Posts
I would just hang fire on the wiring of the 12 pin media hub.

Reactions: Tommi182

·
Mr Modification
734 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
I would just hang fire on the wiring of the 12 pin media hub required for the Kuga as I think the information we have is relative to the Focus which was only fitted with an 8 pin or 4 pin usb media hub. Focus only has one usb outlet and kuga has two.

The wiring diagram I have shows something completely different with 10 connections to the media hub and not 7. I remember that Andrew had to make some adjustments to his media hub and he is the only one of us that I am aware of who fitted the correct hub. Mine is the 4 pin one.

I have a C-max centre console with a 12 pin hub so will have a look at the wiring.

I cannot post the wiring diagram as it is copyright protected but I can re-draw it.
This hub was taken from a 2015 Kuga with a Sync2 head unit. They had just cut the wires to take it out and it had 7 wires going into the molex connector, so i would assume that it would only have 7? IT matches with the wiring diagram and even the ground wire was the correct gauge....

T

·
7,742 Posts
@Tommi182 - In your post 969 you have pin 1 from sync 2 going to pin 10 of the media hub. This cannot be correct as pin 1 on sync 2 unit is 12V live. Did your info on the 12 pin connector come from a transit as they use the same type of hub

Rectangle Parallel Font Circle Number

·
Registered
39 Posts
@Tommi182 - Can you check what pins you have wires on the media hub. This is what the workshop manual shows below which is contrary to what we know already with only pin 1 on the hub being correct. It is possible that two wires were removed for production which may be the audio negative pins.

In your post 969 you have pin 1 from sync 2 going to pin 10 of the media hub. This cannot be correct as pin 1 on sync 2 unit is 12V live. Did your info on the 12 pin connector come from a transit as they use the same type of hub

View attachment 9717
Ah! Mine doesnt have the aux video inputs... could this be a different hub?
T

·
7,742 Posts
Ah! Mine doesnt have the aux video inputs... could this be a different hub?
T
The wiring diagram I posted has been drafted from the one shown in the workshop manual. Although it is named "Kuga" it may have been copied from the USA Escape which may have a different hub. I think the Mondeo one has aux video.

I will have to go in the loft and pull the one out of the c-max console I have.

Where did you get your info from on your post number 969. I wouldn't advise connecting pin 1 from the sync 2 to the hub as it will blow it. I just checked a transit wiring diagram and pin 1 on sync 2 is also live 12v, same as ourS so looks someone has posted that wrong.

·
Registered
39 Posts
The wiring diagram I posted has been drafted from the one shown in the workshop manual. Although it is named "Kuga" it may have been copied from the USA Escape which may have a different hub. I think the Mondeo one has aux video.

I will have to go in the loft and pull the one out of the c-max console I have.

Where did you get your info from on your post number 969. I wouldn't advise connecting pin 1 from the sync 2 to the hub as it will blow it. I just checked a transit wiring diagram and pin 1 on sync 2 is also live 12v, same as ourS so looks someone has posted that wrong.
Ah thank you!
I havent wired it in yet...
Currently finding that the fcim doesn't work and only the speech button on the steering wheel increases the volume 😔
Driving me barmy! Ha ha ha.

T.

·
Administrator
Ford Kuga 2013 Titanium X
2,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #978 ·
I believe that wiring diagram is for the wrong hub, it's for this one which is the US version.

Font Musical instrument accessory Rectangle Cable Auto part

The wiring wasn't in my console loom so I made my own loom to run from the console loom to the back of the Sync unit. It doesn't have the middle bank of wires in, pins 4,11, 12, 6 & 5. The wiring is detailed in my conversion spreadsheet.

·
7,742 Posts
For the steering wheel controls and FCIM to work you need to follow the instructions shown in Andrew's spreadsheet. You need to connect correct wires from small screen display to pins 4 and 7 for new FCIM to work.

@andspenka - Thanks for clarification. I just found the Escape hub which is different to ours which suggest the manual I have is US based. I have amended my prior posts and removed drawing to avoid future confusion.

·
Registered
39 Posts
For the steering wheel controls and FCIM to work you need to follow the instructions shown in Andrew's spreadsheet. You need to connect correct wires from small screen display to pins 4 and 7 for new FCIM to work.

@andspenka - Thanks for clarification. I just found the Escape hub which is different to ours which suggest the manual I have is US based. I have amended my prior posts and removed drawing to avoid future confusion.
Missed that bit! Thank you!
The apim isn't showing on forscan, is that where I need the asbuilt information from a model like mine with sync2 so I can use that profile? I'll have a sift for the programming info in this huge thread 😀

Thanks
T.

961 - 980 of 1007 Posts