Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner
941 - 960 of 1007 Posts

·
Administrator
Ford Kuga 2013 Titanium X
2,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #941 ·
I asked because you may only remove old GPSM module, but still could leave wires connected.
Interesting is. I will try to switch sync3 on sync1 GPS antenna, it will work or not...
I believe Balders left his connected, so I don't think there's any problem in leaving them BUT what you've got to remember is, you don't have them. We only had them because they're necessary for Sync 2, there is literally no point. Don't over complicate it.

Reactions: MaoVi

·
Mr Modification
Ford Kuga MK2 16/12/2014 Titanium X Sport AWD 2.0TDCI 182PS 400Nm (T8MA) Manual Sync1
734 Posts
I believe Balders left his connected, so I don't think there's any problem in leaving them BUT what you've got to remember is, you don't have them. We only had them because they're necessary for Sync 2, there is literally no point. Don't over complicate it.
So the best idea is, remove it and try to sell, is it? :unsure:

·
Administrator
2,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #943 ·
So the best idea is, remove it and try to sell, is it? :unsure:
Let's take a step back.

We were talking about connecting the wires to pins 16 & 17 on the Sync 3 side of the plug. Not your GPS antenna, none of us had navigation on Sync 1 so therefore didn't have a proper GPS antenna like you have. I don't know if yours is going to work with Sync 3 but I would try it first, if it doesn't work then you would need to add a new one.

·
Super Moderator and Mr Grumpy
7,742 Posts
I bought a new console for mine so I would have correct usb media hub but in the end I decided not to change and cut a hole in my existing console.

Nice soldering iron and similar to mine that was recommended by keithmac.

I best not send you the links lol.

·
Mr Modification
Ford Kuga MK2 16/12/2014 Titanium X Sport AWD 2.0TDCI 182PS 400Nm (T8MA) Manual Sync1
734 Posts
What about centre console, it will fit from face-lift model? I wish to transfer my existing top to it (with manual handbrake) Thanks
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Toy Font Automotive design
Only what I know is the rear vent panel with cigarette plug is the same for 2013-2019 (they have the same part numbers). I have 240V socket so hopefully will fit too.
Not your GPS antenna, none of us had navigation on Sync 1 so therefore didn't have a proper GPS antenna like you have. I don't know if yours is going to work with Sync 3 but I would try it first, if it doesn't work then you would need to add a new one
I bought new one like you recommended from Renault my comes from Kadjar.
Font Gas Signage Handwriting Metal

Catch satellites very quickly. I will replace it if anything wrong will be with this from Sync1
I bought a new console for mine so I would have correct usb media hub but in the end I decided not to change and cut a hole in my existing console
Everyone just cutting the hole. Propably the easiest way, or only way :ROFLMAO: I could buy whole console 60£ with a USB hub and leather armrest in the same time ;) So I will buy it anyway.
Nice soldering iron and similar to mine that was recommended by keithmac
I paid total 15£ with delivery, time will tell is it worth but is very handy, compare to my old one with wire and 10 minutes heating time.

·
7,742 Posts
@MaoVi - I just checked on one of the bookmarks I had saved. Better I think for me to look.

It would seem your current GPS antenna will work with sync 3 and it plugs into back of sync 3. The pink fakra is definitely not used. The green fakra needs altering and goes to pins 14 and 15 on APIM. You could use something like this. Cinch Fakra Adapter Cable Compatible With Mercedes Comand Ford Blaupunkt Video : Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo/

It's out of stock but least you know what to look for.

·
Mr Modification
734 Posts
It would seem your current GPS antenna will work with sync 3 and it plugs into back of sync 3. The pink fakra is definitely not used. The green fakra needs altering and goes to pins 14 and 15 on APIM. You could use something like this. Cinch Fakra Adapter Cable Compatible With Mercedes Comand Ford Blaupunkt Video : Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo/

It's out of stock but least you know what to look for.
This antenna fakra connector is different. It's a 4 pole fakra c:

There is a plug for it:
£1.49 15%OFF | Superbat Fakra C Jack PCB Mount Straight 4 Contact Pin Connector for Blue GPS Telematics or Navigation
Gas Circle Metal Electric blue Font

It will be connected like you said Pin 14 & 15 to APIM:
Font Parallel Triangle Circle Auto part

Question is about how guide line can be working? The information will come from BCM by Can wire to APIM?

·
7,742 Posts
The dynamic gridlines for the camera come from the LIN CAN connection from pin 2 of the camera if I remember correctly. You are correct and the info comes from the BCM when you turn your steering wheel.

·
Mr Modification
734 Posts
All wires for APIM loom soldered and shrink wrapped. Ford probably had a good price for 54 pin plug. In my existing sync1 wiring loom is in use only 22 wires (so 4 of them not coming to new sync)
Pins no: 44, 45, 46, 47
Font Signage Rectangle Event Banner

What about Stereo Shield Pin 44, can I extend it to pin 44 sync3 (or pin 9 Aux audio shield)?
I wish to avoid any speaker signal interference.
Thanks and sorry for another "can I" question 🤭
Sky Azure Font Electric blue Number

Electrical wiring Art Wire Electrical supply Technology

·
7,742 Posts
I never checked what my car had on existing APIM loom. No interference.

·
Administrator
2,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #951 ·
To be honest, neither did I.

·
Mr Modification
734 Posts
Thanks I will leave it like it is too (y)

·
7,742 Posts
Thanks I will leave it like it is too (y)
Well spotted though. I remember being quite concerned about the shield wires but don't have any problems.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Afternoon everyone,

Firstly, thanks to @smartguy69 and @andspenka for all the help so far!
I think I have all the bits now, I have rewired my APIM harness, my question is.... if i leave all the current ACM, FCIM and FDCIM wired up and plug the new harness and APIM into the car, should the unit power on? Or do i need to make sure i have all the other wires from the FCDIM and reverse camera etc connected?

Or do i need to program the car first to accept the new unit? - ive checked all my harness and it matches the diagrams that @andspenka kindly supplied me with. I just dont want to extent the lead without getting all the wiring correct initially.... I also managed to buy a media hub with 12 pins (but i have the elusive connector), does anyone have a pinout diagram of that connector? I can find it anywhere on the expanse of the internet! :S

Does that make sense?

Thanks,
Tom.

·
Mr Modification
734 Posts
@Tommi182 Sync unit for power on need only 4 pins from 54pin APIM wiring loom:
  • Pin 1 (+)
  • Pin 16 to Pin 19 (MM-Can / I-Can +)
  • Pin 17 to Pin 20 (MM-Can/I-Can -)
  • Pin 37 (-)
You not need to connect GPS antenna, but you could just plug in to check sat nav is working.

You should plug in all connections and finish all wiring before start programming (components not have to be fully installed -you can fit them in place later)
When you finish wiring connections you can start writing APIM (as-build) settings to new APIM (in Forscan) , and after this you have to change few settings in FoCCCus.

I can't help you with connection to USB hub. If I'm right you install sync2 unit? (with AUX port and SD card)

Few photos when I checked my sync3:
Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Trunk Steering wheel
Gadget Electronic device Vehicle Technology Audio equipment
Wood Flooring Floor Desk Font

·
Registered
39 Posts
@Tommi182 Sync unit for power on need only 4 pins from 54pin APIM wiring loom:
  • Pin 1 (+)
  • Pin 16 to Pin 19 (MM-Can / I-Can +)
  • Pin 17 to Pin 20 (MM-Can/I-Can -)
  • Pin 37 (-)
You not need to connect GPS antenna, but you could just plug in to check sat nav is working.

You should plug in all connections and finish all wiring before start programming (components not have to be fully installed -you can fit them in place later)
When you finish wiring connections you can start writing APIM (as-build) settings to new APIM (in Forscan) , and after this you have to change few settings in FoCCCus.

I can't help you with connection to USB hub. If I'm right you install sync2 unit? (with AUX port and SD card)

Few photos when I checked my sync3:
View attachment 9693 View attachment 9694 View attachment 9695
Thanks for this, ive checked all those connectors and they are all in place, it looks like the screen lights up and then turns off straight away. I plugged in the FCIM and the ACM from the sync2 and the illumination on the keys lights up when you press the power button, but the screen does nothing :S

Have i got a dead Sync2 APIM unit?

Thanks
Tom

·
Mr Modification
734 Posts
I had all old connection plugged in (i. e. small screen, button panel) I just disconnected 54pin APIM loom. How long did you wait to start the sync? It may need some time for first start

·
Registered
39 Posts
I had all old connection plugged in (i. e. small screen, button panel) I just disconnected 54pin APIM loom. How long did you wait to start the sync? It may need some time for first start
I waited for about ten mins, went for a drive! Still nothing! Going to plug forscan in and see if there are any error codes that need clearing... then i think it may be dead... it looks like it powers up and then goes off straight away.

May send this unit back and go for a sync3.... :S

·
Mr Modification
734 Posts
I waited for about ten mins, went for a drive! Still nothing! Going to plug forscan in and see if there are any error codes that need clearing... then i think it may be dead... it looks like it powers up and then goes off straight away.

May send this unit back and go for a sync3.... :S
Yes that's definitely not right. If connections are good it's faulty sync unit.
For sync3 is different USB hub with car play (2 USB plugs only) with mini USB connector and power supply plug with 2 wires. It's less wires in APIM loom as well.

PS: Did you buy CD bracket? I can't find anything under 50£. Propably I will buy new from Ford 45£

·
Administrator
2,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #960 ·
As @MaoVi has said above, I had mine powered up just in the area where the glovebox is without the fascia or the wires to the GPSM. But, having said that, that was with all the connections made and the harness prepped and ready to go.

If I were to do it now, I would go straight to Sync 3. They were stupid expensive when I did mine and I got a good deal on the Sync 2. At the time, I never envisaged how much of a task it was! I thought I was in for a plug and play swap, how wrong I was!

Product Cosmetics Audio equipment Automotive design Bumper

941 - 960 of 1007 Posts