Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

61 - 80 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Yes I bought the media hub from Dave but he kept the wiring loom. I found by chance the media hub on eBay and put it in my watch list but didn't realise that was you at the time. I then saw it had sold and deleted it and decided not to bother.
I can't understand why he kept the loom and sold the hub? The other hub has a different plug.

I could make my own loom up but surely I would need a plug for the media hub unless it's the same as my existing one and then I could just splice off it. I am assuming that my existing console loom is different to the one requiring a feed for the SD card slot.
I didn't realise you didn't have the centre console loom, when I was saying I made up my own loom it was only to run between where the centre console loom connects to the main car loom. I suppose you would be able to make up a loom from the media hub but you would need the plug in the my picture for the media hub and getting hold of one of those wouldn't be easy.

Attachments

·
Registered
840 Posts
I can't understand why he kept the loom and sold the hub? The other hub has a different plug.

I didn't realise you didn't have the centre console loom, when I was saying I made up my own loom it was only to run between where the centre console loom connects to the main car loom. I suppose you would be able to make up a loom from the media hub but you would need the plug in the my picture for the media hub and getting hold of one of those wouldn't be easy.
That's right I need the plug. Rates Ford gave me some good info from the engineering part numbers. It states whether it's for sync 2 including sd card and sat nav. Evidently there must be some Kugas without the 12 volt outlet at the rear of the console because there's a different loom for that too. All have similar engineering part numbers. Ford Parts UK gave me an alternative which is the same as the one you sold to Dave. Not sure why he kept the loom. Really struggling to get the right loom from a breakers and serves me right really for not buying yours as it will cost me more for the loom than you sold the loom and media port for. In the scheme of it though it's not too bad as I got some other bits at a good price such as the fascia and cd bracket for less than the going price of a fascia on eBay. My APIM was only £60 and I managed to get the brackets from Rick who Paul recommended.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
I'll be honest and I even said this to Paul, I thought I would never get mine done, it just seemed like I always needed something else and then it was something else etc. then it all just seemed to come together.

You done well with the APIM & bracket.

Try Gala Motors for the loom, I bought my media hub from them.

·
Registered
840 Posts
I'll be honest and I even said this to Paul, I thought I would never get mine done, it just seemed like I always needed something else and then it was something else etc. then it all just seemed to come together.

You done well with the APIM & bracket.

Try Gala Motors for the loom, I bought my media hub from them.
I have emailed Pete at Gala and given him the part numbers of the looms that work. When I rang my local dealer they said that they had never sold either loom I enquired about. I wonder why lol. The upgrade on the sync 2 for the focus seems quite popular but not for the Kuga.

·
Registered
840 Posts
I have all the parts now ( I think). Also have the media hub from a focus but still need the plug for it lol. And guess what I just seen on eBay, a complete centre console including media hub and loom. Paul you said that yours only needed positive, earth and the micro usb cable for the focus media hub. The one I have has an 8 pin plug and two usb media ports. I assume both usb leads connect to the APIM but on most pics I have seen there is only one usb led connected to the APIM.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Mine has 2 USB & the SD card. There is only 1 USB lead for both ports.

I think I'd be tempted to buy the one from ebay, then you will have the right inside for the arm rest otherwise you need to either find somewhere to put it or try and modify your current arm rest insides to allow it to fit. It should look like this when fitted.

Attachments

·
Registered
840 Posts
Ha, the console is from a C-max and is different. If I find out the type of plug I can order one from Motorcraft. Interesting that the Focus lead is more expensive than the Kuga lead.

I have a question regarding the pin swaps and have started modifying the 54 pin lead I got from Amazon. Both you and Paul have done the mod so hopefully you remember which is pin number 1 on the APIM. Paul kindly sent me Airborne Ape's pictures which are helpful but I still need to clarify my query.

Looking at the first picture Airborne Ape has shown pin 1 as being top left. However when the lead is connected to the APIM the connector has to be turned upside down making pin number 1 being bottom left on the APIM. Is this correct.

Attachments

·
Registered
840 Posts
Think I have sussed this now, doh. The additional lead for the reverse camera on the amazon lead I bought is a good clue as it attached to pins 14 and 15.

Looking at the drawing of the plug in the first picture shown at the bottom, it needs to match the actual plug shown above it. Looking at the APIM this means that pin 1 is on the bottom left. My lead is now ready. Quite interesting removing those pins and what was difficult at first became quite easy although I broke what I was using in pin 2 which was fun trying to remove. I know you can buy tools to extract pins from multi connectors but for this I used a hair grip. I removed the little rubber ends and ground one of the ends down to fit the slot to remove the female pins and the other end of the grip was perfect to remove the male pins.

Andrew, using your spreadsheet I have removed the wires I don't need and done the pin swaps required for sync 2. I will be trying the lead soon to test my new screen but before I do can you just confirm I only need these pins connected for the sync 1 plug.

1, 3 and 4
5 and 6
16 and 17
21 and 22
23, 24, 25 and 26
37 and 38
53 and 54

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
Think I have sussed this now, doh. The additional lead for the reverse camera on the amazon lead I bought is a good clue as it attached to pins 14 and 15.

Looking at the drawing of the plug in the first picture shown at the bottom, it needs to match the actual plug shown above it. Looking at the APIM this means that pin 1 is on the bottom left. My lead is now ready. Quite interesting removing those pins and what was difficult at first became quite easy although I broke what I was using in pin 2 which was fun trying to remove. I know you can buy tools to extract pins from multi connectors but for this I used a hair grip. I removed the little rubber ends and ground one of the ends down to fit the slot to remove the female pins and the other end of the grip was perfect to remove the male pins.

Andrew, using your spreadsheet I have removed the wires I don't need and done the pin swaps required for sync 2. I will be trying the lead soon to test my new screen but before I do can you just confirm I only need these pins connected for the sync 1 plug.

1, 3 and 4
5 and 6 These need to go to pins 12 & 13
16 and 17 Sync 1 16 & 17 need to go to pins 19 & 20, then Sync 2 16 & 17 splice onto the GPS module
21 and 22
23, 24, 25 and 26
37 and 38
53 and 54
Only other thing is 46 & 47 to pins 7 & 10 from the small screen plug.

I remember doing a lot of counting when doing it, to make sure I didn't get the wrong wire! Almost did a couple of times.

P.S. Sorry for the late reply, I've been away over the weekend in the caravan.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Hi I thought pins 46 and 47 went from the APIM connection to pins 7 and 10 of the small screen display. Are you saying that pins 46 and 47 need connecting from the car loom to the APIM and then piggy backed/spliced to pins 7 and 10 of the small screen display.

Also I noticed something I am missing which nobody seems to have mentioned. Paul may have come across this problem. On the top of the ACM there is a small bracket towards the front that has two threaded holes in it. Looks to be the same as the fiesta ACM but is different to the focus one which is what I have. Is the bracket required as I thought only the top cover any over the ACM and it slipped into place.

·
Registered
104 Posts
If its the one to the very front of the ACM with 2 screws & 2 small welds to the centre. I popped the welds with a screw drive & took it off.

Paul

·
Registered
840 Posts
If its the one to the very front of the ACM with 2 screws & 2 small welds to the centre. I popped the welds with a screw drive & took it off.

Paul
Cheers Paul. That is the one. I see it is fitted to Andrew's as picture 6 in the first post of this thread but then thought, what could possibly screw to the bracket for sync 2 conversion. I would like to ensure I have all the bits before I start.

Just need confirmation of whether pins 46 and 47 are connected from car loom to APIM and then piggy backed back to the small screen loom or direct from pins 46 and 47 from the APIM to the small loom. I am using the extended lead purchased from Amazon.

I will be ready to start this soon and the plan is to make the other loom/looms to go to the media hub and lengthen the 54 pin connector lead I got from Amazon. I have pulled out all of the wires not required. Not sure at this stage whether I will be using the focus media hub of the Kuga one.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Right this is from memory..........grin: On your small screen connector you will need to extend pin 10 & pin 7. Pin 10 to 47( APIM) & pin 7 to 46 ( APIM) these two are for your steering wheel controls.
Good luck when you start.... keep us updated.
Paul

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
Right this is from memory..........grin: On your small screen connector you will need to extend pin 10 & pin 7. Pin 10 to 47( APIM) & pin 7 to 46 ( APIM) these two are for your steering wheel controls.
Good luck when you start.... keep us updated.
Paul
What he said ^^^^^^^^^^

Which is actually what I thought I said in my post surprise:

The bracket you can see in my photo's is what is fitted to the original Sync 1 ACM, it needs to come off as the top cover won't fit properly with it left in place. (photo was probably from mid install)

·
Registered
840 Posts
Thanks Paul. That is what I thought. I do have Andrew's spreadsheet which shows pins 46 and 47 on car loom as not being used but with pins 46 and 47 at APIM end connected to pins 7 and 10 for the small screen loom.

My jumper lead purchased from Amazon is ready to test the APIM now. I have done the necessary pin swaps, removed the wires not required and checked and double checked it. I know it won't be long enough but I can easily extend it. I need to make some more looms up for the other bits which connect to the APIM. I have now become an expert at removing pins from connector blocks lol.😀

Just a couple of questions. I know you used the focus media hub. I got one off Rick and have the Kuga one as well. I know if I use the Kuga one I will need a complete loom as it's a 12 pin connector but did you not have to change your wiring loom to suit the 8 pin connector as I am sure the original loom has 4 pins only. Also what part of Hull do you live.

·
Registered
840 Posts
What he said ^^^^^^^^^^

Which is actually what I thought I said in my post surprise:

The bracket you can see in my photo's is what is fitted to the original Sync 1 ACM, it needs to come off as the top cover won't fit properly with it left in place. (photo was probably from mid install)
Thanks Andrew. I think I am just being over cautious when I had it right to start with lol. Comes from an old designer I used to work with who used to put in big letters on all of his drawings......if in doubt ask. Some things just stay with you. I did say right from the start that i was ok with everything apart from the wiring but have it clear in my head now. There is no way I could or would have attempted this without yours and Paul's help. I probably wouldn't have needed to ask any questions if I had stripped it down first but wanted to understand everything beforeni started. No doubt when it's done I will look back and think......I must have been insane lol.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
Thanks Andrew. I think I am just being over cautious when I had it right to start with lol. Comes from an old designer I used to work with who used to put in big letters on all of his drawings......if in doubt ask. Some things just stay with you. I did say right from the start that i was ok with everything apart from the wiring but have it clear in my head now. There is no way I could or would have attempted this without yours and Paul's help. I probably wouldn't have needed to ask any questions if I had stripped it down first but wanted to understand everything beforeni started. No doubt when it's done I will look back and think......I must have been insane lol.
Oh, I can tell you now, you're definitely insane! grin:

There's some things you can do in prep and some you can't, I tried to swap my media port and arm rest over the week before to try and save some time but when I did, it stopped working on the old Sync 1. Knowing what I do now about the wiring etc. I probably could have got it working with a few pin swaps but I ended up taking it all back out sad:

·
Registered
840 Posts
That was my thinking too about swapping the media port. If only ford had added a surface mounted SD card reader as a separate unit instead of a complete new media hub it would have been easier. At least I should be able to fire up the sync 2 screen to see if that works ok.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Morning
My media port has 2 wires live & ground,can't remember the pin numbers but i think they maybe 7 & 4. I just ran the wires from the 54 pin APIM connector along side the USB lead. I live on Hainsworth Park just off Hall road, cott road side.
Paul

·
Registered
4 Posts
Does anyone know what the ms-can connections are for? I have just fitted sync 3 in place of sync 1 (54 pin connector reaches fine if you untape the loom), I haven't changed the steering wheel pins yet from the fcdim socket, but it all seems to work ok - navigation, dab, Bluetooth, reverse sensors with graphics. I don't know where the GPS module is, would be good if I can get away without running the wires there

61 - 80 of 106 Posts