Ford Kuga 2013 Titanium X
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #641 ·
Good luck with that, you want to hope it works for 130 odd quid 😲

·
Registered
2014 titanium 2.0 led number plate and puddle lights aliexpress led drls
26 Posts
if it doesn't fit the description of plug and play does not need to be modified or cut it will be returned hopefully it will work I really don't want to be making up cables.

·
Super Moderator and Mr Grumpy
5,871 Posts
I was going to try the Amazon sync 1 to sync 3 lead that I posted earlier on and hope for the best View attachment 7018
Looking at the Amazon lead I think all it will save you is having to do the pin swaps from the cars harness to the sync 2 but that's about it. The parts where it says connect to radio bezel and radio bezel harness won't be any good because the Kuga has a different harness connector for the radio bezel. It could be made to make. Having the right loom to plug in would save you a lot of time but then this is time when you don't need to have your car in bits. It doesn't need to be off the road either because when you decide to start you can remove the glovebox, old APIM, mesh, top cover and radio panel and connect the sync 2 up and just leave it sat on the existing CD player. That's about an hour's work. I had mine sat up there for weeks lol. I nick named it the delorean.

·
Super Moderator
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #644 ·
Looking at the Amazon lead I think all it will save you is having to do the pin swaps from the cars harness to the sync 2 but that's about it. The parts where it says connect to radio bezel and radio bezel harness won't be any good because the Kuga has a different harness connector for the radio bezel.
I never made any changes to any wiring on the radio, the pins it showed you to swap didn't exist in either of my radio plugs.

remove the glovebox, old APIM, mesh, top cover and radio panel and connect the sync 2 up and just leave it sat on the existing CD player. That's about an hour's work. I had mine sat up there for weeks lol. I nick named it the delorean.
Now I know why it took you 18 months to fit it if it takes you an hour to do that, it's a 10 minute job at the absolute maximum! Are you on a go slow? :unsure:

·
5,871 Posts
I never made any changes to any wiring on the radio, the pins it showed you to swap didn't exist in either of my radio plugs.

No I didn't have them either. The lead is meant for the American market for their Sirius radio connections to work.

Now I know why it took you 18 months to fit it if it takes you an hour to do that, it's a 10 minute job at the absolute maximum! Are you on a go slow? :unsure:
It didn't take 18 months lol. I bought the loom and did the pin swaps and then did nothing until September when I thought I best make a start on this. There are too many pages in this thread now to check when I cut the dash and stuck the screen in. The screen may have sat on top of the CD player for a while. It ended up being a question of priorities doing the car or my son's garage conversion which is finally finished and signed off.

Reactions: andspenka

·
Super Moderator
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #646 ·
Well you started not long after we did and mine was done 18 months before you said yours was complete so it kinda did. You're just in denial 😂 😂 😂

·
5,871 Posts
Well you started not long after we did and mine was done 18 months before you said yours was complete so it kinda did. You're just in denial 😂 😂 😂
I am not in da nile, Psshaw threw me a lifeline. I started buying all the bits not long after you and I did the pins swaps on the main loom, but then I left it without doing anything more until I had my hernia op in September last year. I couldn't do anything strenuous so seemed a good time to make a start. I did ask balders if he wanted to do it for me and I would have paid him but I think when you have done one of these, it's unlikely you would want to do another.

I agree it took me a long time to complete it (too long) and even after the sync 2 was in and working 100% is wasn't properly finished. The timing was all wrong for me. Good intentions but little car time. Its a bit different now and for once my car on the inside looks as immaculate as when I first bought it. Will be starting on the outside next.

·
Super Moderator
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #648 ·
I'm sure there's an unwritten rule somewhere that states, once you've upgraded from Sync 1 to Sync 2, you have to upgrade to Sync 3 within 12 months or your Sync 2 will spontaneously combust 🤪

Reactions: smartguy69

·
5,871 Posts
I'm sure there's an unwritten rule somewhere that states, once you've upgraded from Sync 1 to Sync 2, you have to upgrade to Sync 3 within 12 months or your Sync 2 will spontaneously combust 🤪
It may spontaneously combust before then if my wiring and soldering isn't up to scratch. A sync 3 upgrade will depend on if I decide to keep the car or not. At least I have the right connector for the usb hub. Going to 3 would be a breeze. I should patent my mounting design for the screen but there doesn't seem much interest in upgrading sync 1 on the Kuga and C-max. Someone just done a C-max on ford owners.

·
Super Moderator
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #650 ·
Yeah, we're a dying breed 😂 😂

·
5,871 Posts
People are still buying the MK1 though and modifying them so a good few years yet.

·
Registered
2014 titanium 2.0 led number plate and puddle lights aliexpress led drls
26 Posts
I'm just looking for the surrounds with the radio controls at the moment is there one in particular that you need or are the connections the same on them all Screenshot_20210514-160056_eBay.jpg Screenshot_20210514-160036_eBay.jpg

·
5,871 Posts
I'm just looking for the surrounds with the radio controls at the moment is there one in particular that you need or are the connections the same on them all View attachment 7071 View attachment 7072
Both will fit and have the same connection. The one on the left is from the Facelift model. I have that one fitted in my 2015 model but the correct one for Sync 2 is the one on the right. I am not sure if the vents from the sync 1 unit will fit the sync 2 or 3 so may be best to make sure yours comes with vents. I have a pair of vents if you get stuck and they will only go to scrap. I have a spare panel like the one on the left but its scratched so I bought another.

For some reason the one on the left is a lot cheaper from other sellers. I only paid £30 for mine and I have been looking for a decent one that is shown on the right but I am not paying £100 for one.

·
Registered
Ford Kuga from 11/2013 Titanium with PDC and park assist
48 Posts
Hi,

thank’s a lot for this post !!
I’m upgrading my 2013 kuga from sync1 to sync3.
I have take a convertion harness on aliexp…

since I have modified the wiring of the FCIM (pin 7 from fcdim pin 4 and cut pin 2, move to pin 5 and connect to pin 5 from fcdim) radio butons are ok, but I have lost steering wheel commands, door lock les, light of the usb hub and APIM don’t communicate with forscan.

Before the wiring modification all were ok except radio butons.
At this time, I have note make connection between gpsm and acpim for mscan.
Do you think this will resolve my problem ?

Thanks a lot !!!
laurent

·
5,871 Posts
Hi,

thank’s a lot for this post !!
I’m upgrading my 2013 kuga from sync1 to sync3.
I have take a convertion harness on aliexp…

since I have modified the wiring of the FCIM (pin 7 from fcdim pin 4 and cut pin 2, move to pin 5 and connect to pin 5 from fcdim) radio butons are ok, but I have lost steering wheel commands, door lock les, light of the usb hub and APIM don’t communicate with forscan.

Before the wiring modification all were ok except radio butons.
At this time, I have note make connection between gpsm and acpim for mscan.
Do you think this will resolve my problem ?

Thanks a lot !!!
laurent
Hi, you don't cut pin 2 on FCIM. You cut pin 7.

FCDIM small screen pin 7 to pin 46 on SYNC 3 APIM - Steering wheel control +
FCDIM small screen pin 10 to pin 47 on SYNC 3 APIM - Steering wheel control -

FCDIM small screen pin 4 to pin 7 on FCIM Radio panel - Cut existing car wire and tape up as it's not used
FCDIM small screen pin 5 to pin 4 on FCIM Radio panel

You won't have a pin in pin 4 on radio panel. You have to put a pin in. I used one from the FCDIM plug. It's not the right one but it works.

·
5,871 Posts
Hi, thank you. Can you give me the colors of the cable for pin 2 on FCIM ?
Pin 2 on the 8 pin plug for the FCIM radio control panel is white/yellow.

·
Registered
Ford Kuga from 11/2013 Titanium with PDC and park assist
48 Posts
Nice, thank’s a lot. And the pin 7 we cut in this connector is not used ?

But i don’t understand why i lost communication with apim and steering wheel volume control doesn’t work since I cut wire 2 and 7 on fcim connector, and 4,5 on fcdim connector.

·
5,871 Posts
Nice, thank’s a lot. And the pin 7 we cut in this connector is not used ?

But i don’t understand why i lost communication with apim and steering wheel volume control doesn’t work since I cut wire 2 and 7 on fcim connector, and 4,5 on fcdim connector.
Hi you cut the wire to pin 7 on Radio panel FCIM leaving about 7cm wire in the 8 pin connector. You tape up (isolate) the car side and you connect the wire from pin 4 from the FCDIM to the 7cm wire you just cut.

You have done it wrong. As said before you don't cut pin 2. I will dig out my sketches.

641 - 660 of 748 Posts