Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 365 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently completed a full upgrade from Sync 1 to Sync 2. It was much more work than I ever first imagined but it is 100% worth it.

For anyone considering doing this, you need to be confident with wiring, ideally soldering but you could use connectors. There are a number of the pins that are in a different place on the Sync 2 54 pin connector to where they are on Sync 1 54 pin connector, plus the Sync 1 module is in a different place, it’s above the glovebox. On Sync 2 it’s mounted on the back of the touchscreen. There is a conversion cable on Amazon (pictured) that I used but even that wasn’t long enough and I had to extend it. However, It did make the pin swaps a lot easier because I didn’t have to remove the pins from the plugs which is the trickiest bit. I cut the wires, extended them and did the pin swaps at the same time.

There is a lot of work involved and it really pays to do your homework before starting, there's a lot of info on the various forums about doing the upgrade. A lot have done this in a Focus but it's very similar in the Kuga. One thing to get your head around is the names of everything. When you read up about it you’ll hear references to APIM (touchscreen), FCDIM (your small screen), ACM (CD player/radio unit) & FCIM (Fascia button panel). You will also need to have the right media hub, it has to have an SD card slot so you can add the map card (if you upgrade to Sync 3 you won’t need the SD card slot as the maps are stored on the unit).

It is possible to use the cd player/radio unit from Sync 1 and a lot that I have seen for sale come with it, mine did. At first I stuck with the original one from my car but I had problems with the Bluetooth so I ended up swapping to the unit that came in the package I bought. You can get it to work with the unit from the Sync 1 but it will need more programming to work fully in conjunction with the Sync 2.

There are a number of parts that you will need to source which are different between the 2 systems. The cd player/radio unit needs to be lifted up and repositioned above the screen so you need a bracket for this, I found them hard to come by and had to buy one direct from Ford. The top dash cover is different, it’s longer and has a slot in it for the cd player, again not easy to get hold of the complete unit. Mine came without the mesh and the small front part but I did manage to get hold of both bits eventually.

Another thing to be aware of is that there’s a considerable amount of reconstruction to the inner dash and what I mean by this is with a saw! All the original mountings for the cd player need to be removed to allow the touchscreen and new fascia to fit. It is quite a task and not for the faint hearted. It also means that you can't go back to Sync 1 without changing the dashboard.

Once the unit is in and in, you need to do some programming with both Foccus and Forscan software, I had to play around with a few settings to get the parking display to work.

Anyway, if anyone is considering this you need to ask yourself, ARE YOU INSANE!!!

If anyone has any questions, I'd be happy to answer them.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Christ, I would be ******** myself if I did that to my dash, you deserve a medal for that. How long did that take you, you've made a h ell of job of it, well done. Might be some other members wanting to do that upgrade

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
The finished result looks amazing. I am still debating doing mine. I have no problems in modifying the dash or updating the ECU but the wiring changes is putting me off a little. If the wiring connectors were just plug and play then I think I would be ordering the bits and pieces soon.

I did have a read on another post that the guy who had done it on his car only got it to 95% complete with some options not working. Your install is perfect.

Did you leave the original APIM module for the sync 1 in situ above the glovebox and just disconnected the wiring for it.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Christ, I would be ******** myself if I did that to my dash, you deserve a medal for that. How long did that take you, you've made a **** of job of it, well done. Might be some other members wanting to do that upgrade
I did it over a weekend, but actual time was probably around 8 hours. I did however do a lot of research and preparation work, ie; making the loom up was all done prior to the actual install. Plus I had to add the correct media port as I only had 1 USB and no SD card reader, so that took additional time. I had to change the whole arm rest because the one with the SD card reader is much bigger so the inside of the arm rest is completely different. So I started on the Saturday and finished it off on the Sunday.

I have also been doing some modifications throughout this week, changing various parts of the APIM to get everything working properly. Most of it worked after the initial programming but my Bluetooth only half worked, who i phoned could hear me but I couldn't hear them. this was traced to the ACM (CD player/radio) unit, I swapped over to the one that came with the Sync 2 and it worked straight away. I have a mate on FB who has done the same upgrade and he got his working with his original Sync 1 ACM but it needed further programming to get it to work. Another thing I've just got working yesterday was the parking sensors display, the sensors were working but not the on screen display.

It is all working 100% now, I just have to install a reversing camera but the harness I bought already has the phono on and it's already wired into the Sync unit so it will only need a small change to the APIM programme to get it to work.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The finished result looks amazing. I am still debating doing mine. I have no problems in modifying the dash or updating the ECU but the wiring changes is putting me off a little. If the wiring connectors were just plug and play then I think I would be ordering the bits and pieces soon.

I did have a read on another post that the guy who had done it on his car only got it to 95% complete with some options not working. Your install is perfect.

Did you leave the original APIM module for the sync 1 in situ above the glovebox and just disconnected the wiring for it.
If you need a hand with the wiring, just give me a shout. It would be easy enough to buy the Amazon harness and I could modify & extend it for you. Just let me know.

I have been in touch with a mate who's been doing it at the same time and his is also working fully now.

I removed the original Sync 1 APIM, I have it on eBay for sale grin:

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
If you need a hand with the wiring, just give me a shout. It would be easy enough to buy the Amazon harness and I could modify & extend it for you. Just let me know.

I have been in touch with a mate who's been doing it at the same time and his is also working fully now.

I removed the original Sync 1 APIM, I have it on eBay for sale grin:
Ok Andrew. Thank you, very much appreciated.

·
Registered
219 Posts
HI Just noticed you are from Hull. If you do go ahead give me a shout always willing to help. I have been doing the retro-fit the same time as Andrew & have been helping each other.

Paul

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
HI Just noticed you are from Hull. If you do go ahead give me a shout always willing to help. I have been doing the retro-fit the same time as Andrew & have been helping each other.

Paul
You're a glutton for punishment wink:grin:grin:

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Me nooooooo grin:grin:grin:
smile: Nice one for offering to help though, after what we've been through it really annoyed me to see someone on the FB group offering to help people without Sat Nav by charging them to add it :mad::mad::mad:

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
You're a glutton for punishment wink:grin:grin:
Hi Paul, thanks for the offer. That's a bit of a coincidence you are from Hull and I have swapped a few messages with Andrew as well. I would like to do this but first need to decide whether I am going with sync 2 and if I do will it give me sat nav. I believe I know how to change the APIM code to enable navigation once swapped over but not sure if my car has a GPS module or not. It does tell me if I am going N,S,E or West. Looks like the hardest bits to source at a decent price are the media unit with cable and the cd top cover. The Tesla unit does look quite interesting and believe I could put my car back to standard if needs be when I come to sell. On the other hand with sync 2 it would be standard and perhaps more desirable as 2015 Kuga with sync 2 are quite rare. Once I make the decision I then have to try and fit it between my other jobs and I promised myself I would rebuild my old motor bike for the summer. Not sure which summer lol.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Both mine and Paul's only had the compass showing on the dash, neither of us had Nav on Sync 1. If you have the compass and the emergency assistance, then you have a GPS receiver which is what we tapped into and the Nav works perfectly.

IMO the Tesla unit looks naff, it's much better to have the genuine Ford dash, the downside is that it can't be undone. I actually have the CD top cover for sale but I also seen one on ebay the other day from Gala Motors for about 30 quid, which is a really good price.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Hi Andrew. If I had sync 2 I wouldn't need to revert it back lol. Yours looks really nice and I was searching for a Kuga for ages with the right mileage and within my budget and only saw one in my year that had the touch screen. Before I had chance to call it was sold. On Evans Halshaw site for less than 24 hours. Even many of the 2016 cars I seen for sale have sync 1. I see gala motors have quite a few Kuga bits for sale. There was someone selling the full kit on eBay including the top cd cover and media unit a while back. Think price was quite reasonable too so if I go ahead I will be in touch as I will need help with the cable modifications.

·
Registered
219 Posts
email Rick, i got most of my bits from him... very reasonable too.... [email protected]. He is also on ebay ... ilovetoselllotstoo. Just mention me or Andrew, he has a wealth of knowledge.smile:

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Ok Paul cheers. I found him on eBay. Looks like getting the screen and cd player is quite easy. Is the Kuga screen and cd the same as the focus or is it different. Also the radio controls on Andrew's look to be different to the ones I have seen in that Andrew's is glossy black, same as my sync 1.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes, mine and Paul's are different. Obviously mine is better wink:

Mine is the Sony system, just like in the Sync 1, you can get the standard or the Sony system which has the glossy black and the buttons are different.

The cd player and screen are the same in the C-Max, Focus & Kuga. The dash is the same in the C-Max and Kuga but totally different in the Focus.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Mine is from a Sync 3 set up...??

·
Registered
219 Posts
You can also use your original cd player..... there is a guy on the Kuga accessories facebook page selling cd player module, media hub & map card. Dave Cole is his name.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
You can also use your original cd player..... there is a guy on the Kuga accessories facebook page selling cd player module, media hub & map card. Dave Cole is his name.
Not sure if he's sold it. I had to joint the Kuga owners group first. Looked Dave Cole up but couldn't see anything for sale.

1 - 20 of 365 Posts