Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Being interested in buying a Kuga, I have tried to find out as much as possible about it before actually driving one. I have read all the reviews I could find and feel especially lucky to have found this web site. Today, quite by chance I came across a review here:

http://www.ciao.co.uk/Ford_Kuga_2_0_TDCi_Titanium__Review_5813850#fullreview

I am a little surprised at the comments made, especially with respect to noise and comfort. Has anyone else read this review and if so what did you think and how have you found your Kuga compares "in real life". His description of the clutch pedal travel and the gearchange do not accord with other reviewers' comments. My son recently drove his company's 2 litre tdci focus with 6 speed gearbox and he thought the engine/gearbox combination was marvelous.

OK, I guess I am getting a bit paranoid here, but the sort of test drive you can usually get from the dealer doesn't allow you to get past the "new and different" feeling to find those underlying niggles. Hope someone will say whether or not the above review is at all representative.

·
Registered
295 Posts
IwannaKuga said:
OK, I guess I am getting a bit paranoid here. Hope someone will say whether or not the above review is at all representative.
You are indeed a bit paranoid
There are a lot of reviews online about the Kuga and I think I have almost read them all. I think 99% of all the reviews I have read are positive and now you read 1 that is a bit negative and you get worried
?!!!

Check this forum with lots of real users and clear comments and think again.
I really don't think this single review is representative.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I will start of my reply with the statement that "everyone is entitled to their opinion..."....

Now personally my opinion is that I agree with some parts of his review, but others I have to point out some flaws in the logic.

First off on the safety and handling "concerns". Comparing a 4X4 mini SUV with a normal car and expecting it to perform the same on a test track is a non starter. Yes the Kuga is not as good as some cars going round corners and coming from being an ex Focus ST owner I can tell the difference. But if you compare the Kuga to any other 4x4 you will find it handles much better than most and does feel more car like than an SUV. BTW I am talking about in comparison to Range Rovers, Freelanders and Discovery's - all of which I have driven in the past (both old shapes and the current shape) which all have that horrible body roll that make you think you are going to be at one with that nearby hedge....

In respect of the performance questions and the clutch/gearbox issues he highlights - personally I've not experienced them. Yes you have short gearing 1st to 2nd but much better than a Golf GT Diesel that I had on loan recently. I drive my Kuga every day on a mix of A roads, B roads and Motorway and can honestly say it leads from the front - unless you own a sports car and I pull over to let you past.
Perhaps its a case of getting used to a Diesel engine and a 6 speed gearbox. I've been used to having a 6 speed gearbox in a number of cars, but this is the first time I've owned a Diesel (have driven but never owned). Yes I do miss the reving power band of a petrol, but for a Diesel the Kuga is good - but I agree it won't confuse your passenger as to what is under the bonnet despite all the sound proofing.

On the subject of cost and option prices - yes the Kuga is based on a Focus / C-Max, but its build quality feels better than even those cars. The retail price is also a bit misleading given the deals that can be had. Compare that to a Honda CRV and see if you can get anywhere near the equipment and cost when you speak to the dealers. Personally I would be having to buy a low series CRV to match the cost of my Kuga with Convience Pack and Bluetooth for purchase price.... I know because I seriously considered it....

That leads me onto my final point nicely - the overall score. Now my wife has never liked any Ford I have owned - and yes I have owned a fair few..... But the Kuga is the first Ford she has ever said "yes I like that and would even consider replacing my car with one.."

Now she currently owns a new shape Honda Civic SE (with Leather, Panaromic Roof and Bigger Alloys as options).... the same car he gives 78.2% in his reviews and the Kuga only 64.7%.

Personally I respect anyone who takes the time to write a detailed review like that even though I don't agree with all his comments. However as a conclusion I prefer to take my wife's opinon.....

BTW I like my Kuga so much I've just bought another one......

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Many thanks Mouse and Wise1 - I do appreciate your taking the time reply. There are certainly a lot of happy owners on this forum. I really will have to fix up a test drive asap.

Once again - thanks for your response.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts