Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a potential buyer, I wonder how effective the regenerative braking is in slowing down the car downhill.
A friend of mine has a Volvo xc40 recharge and says regenerative braking is very poor. The same goes for my son's Toyota CHR. Downhill it almost seems that these cars are driving in neutral, therefore it is necessary to apply the brakes a lot.
Does the same happen to Kuga PHEV?
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2020 Ford Kuga PHEV ST Line X first edition In Lucid Red
235 Posts
Depends in normal mode not noticeable really ....but if you press the L button for low gear it really ramps it up and hardly have to touch the brakes even on steep hills ...

·
Registered
437 Posts
Doesn't it kick in when you start to brake? That's how the Prius does it. Initial braking is regen, then conventional if needed.

I know some electric cars are set up to significantly apply regen braking as the accelerator is lifted but I'm not sure the Kuga PHEV is.

Bob

·
Registered
2020 Ford Kuga PHEV ST Line X first edition In Lucid Red
235 Posts
Yes the harder you brake the more regenerative energy goes in ...... but going down hill not much input unless you brake or select L and yes in L mode as soon as you lift accelerator it feels like you have braked

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I suspect it is difficult to tell when conventional braking starts.
When I come down from my house at the mountains I have 8 km of downhill road. With my diesel car now I drive in 2nd or 3rd gear nearly without touching the pedals. It could be very annoying to keep the brake pedal pressed for such long time. Thankfully, as Jizzer says, on the Kuga the L key works fine.
Thanks for replies.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts