Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
Kuga Vignale 2.0L Diesel 2018
16 Posts
Meant to add the 12p per mile was based on the variable Octopus rate on the Octopus go rate the peak charge rise to about 15p per mile

·
Registered
404 Posts
I have Octopus Go and have set the schedule to start at 1:00 am and it charges until 100% even if it overruns the cheap rate period. I have the charge time set from 1:00 am to 8:00 am Even though the cheap rate tariff ends at 4:30 am. If I want to charge outside the cheap rate period I press the timer button after plugging in. To change it to only charge at the preferred time just press the timer button again.
Are you using a smart charger i am using a rolec smart charger and its controlled via the app - it knows i have the Octopus Go tarrif so it just switches on during the off peak times - the car is left open to charge anytime - if i want to charge outside these times i have a boost option on the app - the Kuga should fully charge within the off peak window - my off peak charge is 5p KWH and peak is 15p KWH

·
Registered
37 Posts
If it’s OctopusGo then 37.5p kw/h peak, 7.5 off. That’s what I’ve renewed at. Was 15p and 5p 😞

·
Super Moderator and Mr Grumpy
10,000 Posts
Now may be a good time to buy shares in energy companies.

·
10,000 Posts
If it’s OctopusGo then 37.5p kw/h peak, 7.5 off. That’s what I’ve renewed at. Was 15p and 5p 😞
So they are giving you a decent rate for 4 hours but then charging you a higher rate for the remaining 20 hours. Mine is 28.2p kw/h all hours on standard tariff with SSE.

Now correct me if I am wrong but if I was using just 1kw per hour then my daily cost would be £6.77. With Octopus the cost would be £7.80 so unless you want to use the shower, cook, wash, tumble dry or whatever after 00.30 hours I really can't see a decent benefit.

What does the car draw in kw/h.

Reactions: davidoff

·
Registered
37 Posts
So they are giving you a decent rate for 4 hours but then charging you a higher rate for the remaining 20 hours. Mine is 28.2p kw/h all hours on standard tariff with SSE.

Now correct me if I am wrong but if I was using just 1kw per hour then my daily cost would be £6.77. With Octopus the cost would be £7.80 so unless you want to use the shower, cook, wash, tumble dry or whatever after 00.30 hours I really can't see a decent benefit.

What does the car draw in kw/h.
The PHEV pulls 3.6kw per hour, the mustang 7.3kw

·
Registered
37 Posts
Oh I should add, I’m on Octopus Go Faster, so 4 hours from 21:30, and got my peak rate slightly wrong…it’s 35.05p.

·
10,000 Posts
The PHEV pulls 3.6kw per hour, the mustang 7.3kw
I was trying to work out if it's beneficial to be on a cheaper rate night tariff with Octopus if you have a PHEV.

If it takes 6 hours to charge the car then your cost to charge is £3.60. That cost would be £6.09 on my tariff.

Looking at my 168kw usage for last month then your tariff is definitely better if you have a PHEV. For me though my cost would equate to 17.4p per mile for a PHEV based on 35 miles per charge compared with 21.6p per mile for diesel. If electric goes up in October as predicted by 30% then it would actually cost me more to run a PHEV compared with diesel based on my standard tariff and the additional purchase cost of a PHEV. Obviously if fuel increases accordingly with electric, as it will, then I would expect the cost difference to be linear.

It is ironic to think that ours and the European governments have been pushing for hybrid and electric cars to save the planet and then do nothing, or very little, about the soaring energy prices and last week confirmed that all grants for electric vehicles are to be stopped. I guess the plan could be to just force everyone to drive less miles no matter what they drive.

Reactions: davidoff

·
Registered
404 Posts
I was trying to work out if it's beneficial to be on a cheaper rate night tariff with Octopus if you have a PHEV.

If it takes 6 hours to charge the car then your cost to charge is £3.60. That cost would be £6.09 on my tariff.

Looking at my 168kw usage for last month then your tariff is definitely better if you have a PHEV. For me though my cost would equate to 17.4p per mile for a PHEV based on 35 miles per charge compared with 21.6p per mile for diesel. If electric goes up in October as predicted by 30% then it would actually cost me more to run a PHEV compared with diesel based on my standard tariff and the additional purchase cost of a PHEV. Obviously if fuel increases accordingly with electric, as it will, then I would expect the cost difference to be linear.

It is ironic to think that ours and the European governments have been pushing for hybrid and electric cars to save the planet and then do nothing, or very little, about the soaring energy prices and last week confirmed that all grants for electric vehicles are to be stopped. I guess the plan could be to just force everyone to drive less miles no matter what they drive.
The PHEV charges quicker that 6 hours if on the wallbox

Reactions: smartguy69

·
Registered
37 Posts

Yes, it's less than ideal. The PHEV only takes 3 hours to fully charge so works for me, but here's the irony.

I managed to fix on that rate now for 12 months, so protects me from October, but if I didn't have an EV, the cheapest fix rate on Octopus currently is 42p. Variable is about 28p, but no October protection if I did that.

The wife drives the PHEV so it gets charged at home, I generally charge the Mustang at work, so I don't pay for that :p

All in all, for me, it is currently cheaper for me to have a PHEV and EV given what I was spending on fuel, but only by about half the amount of cash. Before the energy stupidity, it was a no brainer.

·
10,000 Posts
Thanks for the info @ProximusAl and @Clarky94 . I can see now why you guys are wanting to make sure you get them charged within the cheap rate period and also confirms if I bought a PHEV then I would need to switch energy supplier which isn't an option at present.

The problem is though as the more people move over to PHEV and electric the demand for cheap rate electric will be more and will force the price up no doubt. Still can't see how it's going to work but I doubt I will be driving much after 2035 and no doubt a tank of fuel will cost more than the state pension amount.

·
Registered
PHEV. Mk 3 ST-Line X PHEV with Driver Assistance Pack, Technology Pack and electric towbar
10 Posts
Out of interest what is the cost difference per hour between the cheap rate period and the standard rate.
On my tariff it’s 5p/KWh on cheap rate and 13.7p on standard, so almost 9p

·
Registered
PHEV. Mk 3 ST-Line X PHEV with Driver Assistance Pack, Technology Pack and electric towbar
10 Posts
Are you using a smart charger i am using a rolec smart charger and its controlled via the app - it knows i have the Octopus Go tarrif so it just switches on during the off peak times - the car is left open to charge anytime - if i want to charge outside these times i have a boost option on the app - the Kuga should fully charge within the off peak window - my off peak charge is 5p KWH and peak is 15p KWH
No, I’m using the 3 pin charger. So the rate is not the max 3.6KWh and it won’t fully charge in the 4 hour cheap rate window. I did look at getting a wall charger, but it’s not financially viable, given the installation cost.

·
Registered
10 Posts
You are going to be in for a shock when your fixed rate ends.
Not really, I know what’s coming, just making the most of it while I have it. 😉

21 - 38 of 38 Posts