Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

can other people tell me how loudwhen outside the vehicle is your air con when in electric only mode? Mine is really noticeably loud. I really loud wine, not sure if it would normally be this loud but drown out by the engine noise. I suspect something idnt quiet right, it’s working fine and just would like a comparison.

Chris

·
Registered
Ford Kuga PHEV ST Line X 2022 (when it arrives)
17 Posts
I had the same question, compressor seems to be really loud in electric only mode. Probably just that the car is so quiet.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I can hear mine but i wouldnt describe it as "loud"
Its definitely quieter than the pedestrian sounder anyway.

Maybe grab a recording & upload it on here?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi,

can other people tell me how loudwhen outside the vehicle is your air con when in electric only mode? Mine is really noticeably loud. I really loud wine, not sure if it would normally be this loud but drown out by the engine noise. I suspect something idnt quiet right, it’s working fine and just would like a comparison.

Chris
Yep mine too, and only a couple of months old. A colleague pointed it out to me.
Noise increases/decreases with auto speed setting (strength 1,2 or 3), and stops is a/c is off.
Not looked any further, but from outside it is alarmingly loud on max setting.
Will check again when air temp outside is lower.
Anyone been to a dealer for advice?

·
Registered
MY22 Kuga PHEV ST-Line X Edition with Driver Assistance
30 Posts
Same for me too, I checked this last night - parked the car, left running in EV only (no engine) then I switched on the a/c and I could hear the buzzing started, increase the fan speed and buzzing became louder. At max setting it is annoyingly loud. It does quieten a bit after some time but picks up again every now and then.

·
Registered
2020 Ford Kuga PHEV 165KW VIGNALE AUTO
21 Posts
It depends on the A/C output power. When it runs on its full power it is indeed loud.
You can do a easy test. Just leave the door open so you can hear it more clearly. Turn the climate control temperature setting. Set it to "low" A/C get louder. Set it back to normal 20c it quiet down quickly

·
Registered
92 Posts
Same here, the A/C compressor is loud if you remote start the car with aircon. Not an issue, just the pedestrians looking strange why it sounds as a tractor and nobody is on the driver seat. :)

Reactions: NigelB

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Worth noting that the AC is very efficient. Very quickly got the car temperature down, even in 40C heat in France last week. It also did it without starting the engine.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Yeah I’ve noticed this today whilst at maccies, it sounds really loud against a wall lol. Created some funny looks for sure.
Car makers have discovered that the move to EV's and PHEV's has highlighted that some of the noises that you could get away with in an ICE powered car are no longer acceptable, as the general background noise is much lower. Hence wind noise and tyre noise become more of a problem in quieter cars ironically. The AC system noise (which is just as bad in a Tesla is just an example of this, it really didn't matter with a chuggy old diesel drowning it out but now it gets noticed.

·
Super Moderator and Mr Grumpy
10,018 Posts
Yes, spend quite a lot of my time there.
Am I going to see you on the Chateau DIY series. Just started watching that on TV and find it interesting. The sort of properties they feature would cost a fortune over here. Still need deep pockets to do them up though.

Reactions: davidoff

·
Premium Member
Kuga ST Line X 1.5 Eco 180ps 6 Speed Auto AWD Magnetic
2,374 Posts
Am I going to see you on the Chateau DIY series. Just started watching that on TV and find it interesting. The sort of properties they feature would cost a fortune over here. Still need deep pockets to do them up though.
Go for it Martin you can afford it ;)

·
Super Moderator and Mr Grumpy
10,018 Posts
Go for it Martin you can afford it ;)
Seeing as some people are asking more than a grand for a week's holiday in Scotland for apartments that look like they haven't been decorated in years, buying somewhere that could have potential for holiday lets could be a retirement plan.

You always know the accommodation isn't up to much when there are more photos of the scenery and close of pictures of a bowl of fruit, than there are pictures of the apartment itself. I had to laugh at one place I looked at which had a cottage and a second choice of accommodation which was a camper van. I saw one which looked like an old gypsy caravan. Not for me. I don't have particularly high standards but don't see why I should pay for accommodation that isn't at least decorated as well as my home. I don't fancy being marooned in an airport either.

I have booked week after next off so looking at going somewhere for the week but if I can't find anything I will just cancel and book later. Handy working for an employer who is extremely flexible.

Reactions: davidoff

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Have been there and got the T-Shirt with bricolage! There are lots of vacant old properties, especially in central France, but they can take a LOT of work to make them habitable, which is why they were left empty by the French! The most important bit of advice is, always check the roof, then recheck the roof, then get an second opinion on the roof....

·
Registered
84 Posts
Car makers have discovered that the move to EV's and PHEV's has highlighted that some of the noises that you could get away with in an ICE powered car are no longer acceptable, as the general background noise is much lower. Hence wind noise and tyre noise become more of a problem in quieter cars ironically. The AC system noise (which is just as bad in a Tesla is just an example of this, it really didn't matter with a chuggy old diesel drowning it out but now it gets noticed.
On ICE cars (the ones I had anyway) there was a definite "note" change in the engine when AC was on, the ecoboom engines I've had were very very quiet and you couldn't hear anything AC related, in this PHEV it feels like the dash is shaking when the AC equipment is going full chat - I'm not sure if this is because the vibration of the engine would counteract / dull out anything else.

It's still audible when the engine is running in Hybrid mode also.

·
Registered
Mk3 Lucid Red, ST-Line X PHEV First Edition
152 Posts
During recent hot spell whilst we're on holiday in Wiltshire/Devon I experienced this noise for the first time. Quite loud as others say but air con seems quite efficient and it soon throttles back.

·
Registered
Nov 21 Vignale PHEV with all the goodies apart from panoramic roof.
61 Posts
During recent hot spell whilst we're on holiday in Wiltshire/Devon I experienced this noise for the first time. Quite loud as others say but air con seems quite efficient and it soon throttles back.
Same here, only when a hot day.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts