Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Ford Kuga PHEV ST Line X first edition In Lucid Red
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 12volt battery is draining overnight with warnings on the fordpass app Remote features disabled for battery optimisation"

have jump started mine twice in 3 days

anyone get this resolved noticed a couple on here with same issue

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update .... known issue by ford software patch applied and seems ok ...... so far

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi my 6months old phev in the dealership,left doors open whilst cleaning,flat battery and a very loud thumping noise from rear seat area,AA jump start.Drove to dealers spanner symbol displayed

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Had exactly the same the thumping noise is the speakers and sub woofer as the 12v battery in the boot drains and all ancillary equipment start playing up thump from speakers alarm going off indicators flashing and digital dashboard flashing on and off ....there is a software patch that solves this draining issue for the 12v battery ....mine been ok since

·
Registered
13 Posts
Had exactly the same the thumping noise is the speakers and sub woofer as the 12v battery in the boot drains and all ancillary equipment start playing up thump from speakers alarm going off indicators flashing and digital dashboard flashing on and off ....there is a software patch that solves this draining issue for the 12v battery ....mine been ok since
Thanks hit the problem bang on,shall call the dealership tomorrow

·
Registered
32 Posts
My dealer told me the battery isn't actually drained when this happens. But the system goes into a deep hibernation state. I assume the jump start is required to "wake" the system up to get it out of the state.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yep that's correct goes into hibernation ...but has same effect as a drained battery low volts etc ..... have they applied the patch

·
Registered
32 Posts
Yep that's correct goes into hibernation ...but has same effect as a drained battery low volts etc ..... have they applied the patch
Mine was patched when it went in for the battery overheat recall. No issues since on the 12v.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Spoke to Ford motor company case manager this morning still no sign of a fix for the battery fire recall or the vehicle battery going into hibernation could not say if it will be resolved in days,weeks or hopefully not months,kuga phev still in the dealership

·
Registered
100 Posts
ive read a lot on going electric thought about it but no not for me , mates got a toyota hybrid if you put the heater on the engine has to come on , over 30 engine on , didnt think it was saving the planet , its a con , going battery i bet this is in the wrong place but im not convined , even the adds on tv dont tell you anything as they are all glitzy, , a famouse saying a fool and his money are sonon departed

·
Registered
13 Posts
Spoke to Ford motor company case manager this morning still no sign of a fix for the battery fire recall or the vehicle battery going into hibernation could not say if it will be resolved in days,weeks or hopefully not months,kuga phev still in the dealership
I had my Kuga phev back on Friday battery fiasco,but the dealership did a known software update for the battery hibernation all good so far

·
Registered
4 Posts
At the beginning of October, I first encountered the discharged battery problem with my Kuga PHEV ST Line X Edition delivered at the end of March 2020. I had left the boot open for about 6 hours, so that I could access my tools, whilst I was working on my boat. The AA turned up and jump started it and I drove 30 miles home. They said that the courtesy lights had flattened the battery.
At this stage the symptoms had been that the vehicle was completely dead and that the doors could not be unlocked with the remote, although I have now discovered that once the drivers door is open, with the metal key, it is possible to lean across and open the other doors from the inside. I don’t think that it is possible to relock the car and I don’t believe the boot can be opened by any method, but you can lean over from the rear seats to access (light and smallish) items in there.
The next day I drove about 25 miles in 2 journeys – all ok.
The next day, a Saturday, battery is flat again. On the Monday AA turned out again and car went back to the dealers where they updated all the software as recommended and kept it in for 3 or 4 days to see if the problem recurred. No, it was fine.
For the following week and a half, the car was fine, but last Tuesday the battery was flat again. I was supposed to be going to as meeting, which had to be done on zoom. However, as I now had a few minutes, I jump started the car. The engine didn’t start, but all the dashboard and it drove off the drive on electric. It wasn’t until I had gone a few 100 metres and gave it a bit of welly did the engine kick into life.
Ninety minutes later, after the meeting, I went back to the car and tried to start it. Now with the battery half charged, everything was flashing on and off and the booming noise coming from the sound system, mentioned elsewhere in this thread, occurred. I thought that the high voltage battery was about to explode and turned everything off pronto! When I tried to start it again the car was now completely dead again.
The dealer was not interested as he claimed this was related to the battery venting recall. They recommended I get hold of the Customer Relationship Centre. I had had a run in with these guys already on this vehicle and was not over optimistic of a decent outcome.
Eventually a CRC ‘Manager’ rang me back and said that the battery discharge problem was absolutely nothing to do with the extant recall. He would get on to the dealer and tell them to get Ford’s band of technical experts to advise them what to do.
I have now spoken to the dealer’s service manager, who had communicated with the CRC, and he says that he has made all the software changes available and it clearly hasn’t fixed the problem. He has another identical vehicle with exactly the same problem. He alleges that the software that needs to be fixed is associated with the parking brake, which in turn means it controls the ABS as well. Clearly a safety critical issue and therefore Ford say they need three months to test updates. That is a bit reassuring.
He doesn’t expect any resolution to this problem this year. I have previously heard that time scale about the battery venting recall as well. Anyway, the car is booked in for the dealer and the technical experts to review at the beginning of November, so as to jump through Ford’s hoops.
We shall see, but in the meantime, I have a spare car battery sitting in the passenger foot well alongside a set of 2-metre-long, 3000 amp, jump leads recently acquired through Amazon. It sparks a bit when you connect them to the Kuga so I hope that I don’t need to do the jump start operation after filling up with fuel! It only takes a couple of minutes to jump start which is ok if it’s not raining. Nevertheless, this isn’t the experience that you pay between £35-40K for.
BTW anyone seen the promised £500 of BP fuel vouchers yet? And if you use them, will that amount to a tacit acceptance of the vehicle with its faults, thereby relinquishing any right to subsequently reject the car?

·
Registered
109 Posts
At the beginning of October, I first encountered the discharged battery problem with my Kuga PHEV ST Line X Edition delivered at the end of March 2020. I had left the boot open for about 6 hours, so that I could access my tools, whilst I was working on my boat. The AA turned up and jump started it and I drove 30 miles home. They said that the courtesy lights had flattened the battery.
At this stage the symptoms had been that the vehicle was completely dead and that the doors could not be unlocked with the remote, although I have now discovered that once the drivers door is open, with the metal key, it is possible to lean across and open the other doors from the inside. I don’t think that it is possible to relock the car and I don’t believe the boot can be opened by any method, but you can lean over from the rear seats to access (light and smallish) items in there.
The next day I drove about 25 miles in 2 journeys – all ok.
The next day, a Saturday, battery is flat again. On the Monday AA turned out again and car went back to the dealers where they updated all the software as recommended and kept it in for 3 or 4 days to see if the problem recurred. No, it was fine.
For the following week and a half, the car was fine, but last Tuesday the battery was flat again. I was supposed to be going to as meeting, which had to be done on zoom. However, as I now had a few minutes, I jump started the car. The engine didn’t start, but all the dashboard and it drove off the drive on electric. It wasn’t until I had gone a few 100 metres and gave it a bit of welly did the engine kick into life.
Ninety minutes later, after the meeting, I went back to the car and tried to start it. Now with the battery half charged, everything was flashing on and off and the booming noise coming from the sound system, mentioned elsewhere in this thread, occurred. I thought that the high voltage battery was about to explode and turned everything off pronto! When I tried to start it again the car was now completely dead again.
The dealer was not interested as he claimed this was related to the battery venting recall. They recommended I get hold of the Customer Relationship Centre. I had had a run in with these guys already on this vehicle and was not over optimistic of a decent outcome.
Eventually a CRC ‘Manager’ rang me back and said that the battery discharge problem was absolutely nothing to do with the extant recall. He would get on to the dealer and tell them to get Ford’s band of technical experts to advise them what to do.
I have now spoken to the dealer’s service manager, who had communicated with the CRC, and he says that he has made all the software changes available and it clearly hasn’t fixed the problem. He has another identical vehicle with exactly the same problem. He alleges that the software that needs to be fixed is associated with the parking brake, which in turn means it controls the ABS as well. Clearly a safety critical issue and therefore Ford say they need three months to test updates. That is a bit reassuring.
He doesn’t expect any resolution to this problem this year. I have previously heard that time scale about the battery venting recall as well. Anyway, the car is booked in for the dealer and the technical experts to review at the beginning of November, so as to jump through Ford’s hoops.
We shall see, but in the meantime, I have a spare car battery sitting in the passenger foot well alongside a set of 2-metre-long, 3000 amp, jump leads recently acquired through Amazon. It sparks a bit when you connect them to the Kuga so I hope that I don’t need to do the jump start operation after filling up with fuel! It only takes a couple of minutes to jump start which is ok if it’s not raining. Nevertheless, this isn’t the experience that you pay between £35-40K for.
BTW anyone seen the promised £500 of BP fuel vouchers yet? And if you use them, will that amount to a tacit acceptance of the vehicle with its faults, thereby relinquishing any right to subsequently reject the car?
It is easy to check on ETIS what versions of the various modules software you have. Ask the dealer to tell you the software versions for your car for the TCU (SH), PCM (ERP), ABS (NT), SOBDM (AL), SOBDC (GN) and BECM (DF) modules. This will take them 5 minutes once logged in to ETIS. The letters in brackets are the final letters in the software package and are the most up to date versions being applied to cars now. They work alphabetically so for example you may be on TCU version ending SF which was an update applied to cars in June / July that turned out not to be the whole fix. If you don't have those versions (especially TCU, ABS and PCM) then you will still be at risk of the 12v problem.

However if the battery has been flattened by the problem it needs testing as the 12v battery may be damaged. There are plenty of people out there with batteries recording below 12.67v at rest (once all systems have shut down) because the battery has been damaged by constant discharging. If you have the latest updates I would get the battery tested as that may be all it is now. Driving the car is not a quick way to recover the 12v battery, and if it is damaged it will not recover it at all.

Some dealers are miles away from being on top of this unfortunately, but there is no excuse as all of the information is there for them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
It is easy to check on ETIS what versions of the various modules software you have. Ask the dealer to tell you the software versions for your car for the TCU (SH), PCM (ERP), ABS (NT), SOBDM (AL), SOBDC (GN) and BECM (DF) modules. This will take them 5 minutes once logged in to ETIS. The letters in brackets are the final letters in the software package and are the most up to date versions being applied to cars now. They work alphabetically so for example you may be on TCU version ending SF which was an update applied to cars in June / July that turned out not to be the whole fix. If you don't have those versions (especially TCU, ABS and PCM) then you will still be at risk of the 12v problem.

However if the battery has been flattened by the problem it needs testing as the 12v battery may be damaged. There are plenty of people out there with batteries recording below 12.67v at rest (once all systems have shut down) because the battery has been damaged by constant discharging. If you have the latest updates I would get the battery tested as that may be all it is now. Driving the car is not a quick way to recover the 12v battery, and if it is damaged it will not recover it at all.

Some dealers are miles away from being on top of this unfortunately, but there is no excuse as all of the information is there for them.
Thanks, that is really helpful. You sound like you are a bit of an expert! Is the, presumably small, 12V battery a lead acid or lithium ion unit? And is it physically located in the boot well next to the High voltage battery?

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My standing 12v at points under the bonnet engine off unlocked

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Picture of battery ...is this lead acid or AGM

·
Registered
4 Posts
AGM (Absorbent Glass Mat) is a form of lead acid battery. I would have thought that 45 Amp hours is quite small if it is intended to power all the Kuga electrical systems when the engine isn't running. My 10 year old Focus had a 60Ah battery. Is this in the boot well?

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
No think it's designed for
minimal monitoring stuff and to initiate relays to bring HV battery pack online which then powers accessories etc ......in the phev

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
2 settings on my cTek charger AGM and normal ....just charge on normal as cant find ang mention of AGM on battery

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
2 settings on my cTek charger AGM and normal ....just charge on normal as cant find ang mention of AGM on battery

1 - 20 of 26 Posts