Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, I am looking to buy a new(second hand) car and I am torn between a Kuga or a Skoda Yeti. I have up to 9 grand to spend.
Why should I go for the Kuga?
Thanks in advance
Tim

·
Registered
830 Posts
Because you ask us on the KUGA site, and we know more about the Kuga than we do about the Yeti :unsure:

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
I would think the consensus of opinion of must Kuga owners is they would buy another with the exception to those owners who have suffered problems with the 2020 built Kuga mk3 and some who have suffered the powershift failures on the older MK2.

May be an idea to see if the same could be said of yeti owners and base your opinion from there. I wouldn't let one or two bad reviews put you off on either marque but the issues reported on the mk3 built in 2020 are a little worrying.

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
I would think the consensus of opinion of must Kuga owners is they would buy another with the exception to those owners who have suffered problems with the 2020 built Kuga mk3 and some who have suffered the powershift failures on the older MK2.

May be an idea to see if the same could be said of yeti owners and base your opinion from there. I wouldn't let one or two bad reviews put you off on either marque but the issues reported on the mk3 built in 2020 are a little worrying.
I see you have a budget of £9k so you don't have to worry about the mk3 just yet. £9k will but you something like I have maybe a little newer in titanium spec. On a 2015 if you are buying an auto make sure it has the 180 gearbox as it should have the modified type. Don't buy an older auto i.e. the 163bhpnon a 2014 or 2013 plate.

Reactions: Phil Doggo

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Thanks, It looks like that in my price range I would be lucky to find anything over 2016 anyway.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I see you have a budget of £9k so you don't have to worry about the mk3 just yet. £9k will but you something like I have maybe a little newer in titanium spec. On a 2015 if you are buying an auto make sure it has the 180 gearbox as it should have the modified type. Don't buy an older auto i.e. the 163bhpnon a 2014 or 2013 plate.
It would be a manual and probably a diesel, although it needs to be ULEZ compliant as I'm in south london. I read somewhere about the 2016 models being an improvement, is this so?

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Thanks, It looks like that in my price range I would be lucky to find anything over 2016 anyway.
It took me about 6 weeks to find mine in budget with right mileage and condition. It cost me £11k, from a main dealer FSH with 45k miles in mint condition. I would expect it to be no more than £9k today at a dealer or less. You might be pushing for a 2016 car unless it's higher miles. Mine has still only done 54k

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Mine is euro 6. Not sure if that is compliment with London or not.

·
Registered
Mk3 ST Line X Edition with Tech Pack - Black - On Order, exp March 21
20 Posts
I used to have a Yeti, 2011 model 61 plate Elegance 2.0 TDI 4WD. Did about 60k in over my ownership, sold it on at 90k and would have another

Had a limp mode on and had water pump, belt and thermostat changed under warranty. Shock absorber changed as leaking (warranty too) and rear brake caliper seized (not in warranty). Also had seat base drivers side heating element changed under warranty but that MAY have been accidental damage from kneeling on it too much.

Brilliant in the snow, very practical inside but imagine a little smaller than the Kuga?

Comfy to drive, slightly higher position but not too high and as a result did corner far better than it had any right too. The pre face-lift came in 110,140 and 170 bhp versions (diesel, unsure on petrol).... The later having Octavia vRS front brakes due to the extra HP.

Evidence and quality of the VAG parts bin was abundant and everything worked well and felt well put together.

Elegance and up have xenon lights with active 'bending' lights. Some versions have off road mode, just dampens the engine response to make it steadier off road. The rear seats, as well as sliding and reclining they also fold forward (seat back down) and tumble (whole seat rolls forward again). The seats are split 40/20/40 and the middle can be removed completely and the others slid inwards. They also can be removed too making what is in effect, a van.

Been VAG parts and service are readily avaialble.

No experience of the Kuga - waiting on a Mk3 to be delivered. Its leased, and far cheaper and better equipped than the equivalent new Skoda which is the Karoq.... All things been equal, if the Karoq was as cheap in lease I would be seriously considering that.

·
Registered
ST-Line Edition 2019 AWD - Petrol - Auto
871 Posts
I looked at Yetis before a Kuga too, but I personally find them very boring and rather old looking, although I'm sure they're good quality.

You can guess what I went for and I'm now on my second one I was that impressed :D

·
Registered
1 Posts
Both these cars are great choices. The Yeti is perhaps better for practicality because although it's slightly smaller, it has more versatile rear seats that individually fold or can be removed altogether. The two outer seats can also be moved closer to the centre of the car to increase shoulder room by taking the middle seat out. With all the seats out, boot space is a huge 1,760 litres - more than a Volvo V70. The Kuga has fixed rear seats - similar to a Focus, so although they fold down they do little else. There's little between them on the road and they're both enjoyable and good to drive.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I used to have a Yeti, 2011 model 61 plate Elegance 2.0 TDI 4WD. Did about 60k in over my ownership, sold it on at 90k and would have another

Had a limp mode on and had water pump, belt and thermostat changed under warranty. Shock absorber changed as leaking (warranty too) and rear brake caliper seized (not in warranty). Also had seat base drivers side heating element changed under warranty but that MAY have been accidental damage from kneeling on it too much.

Brilliant in the snow, very practical inside but imagine a little smaller than the Kuga?

Comfy to drive, slightly higher position but not too high and as a result did corner far better than it had any right too. The pre face-lift came in 110,140 and 170 bhp versions (diesel, unsure on petrol).... The later having Octavia vRS front brakes due to the extra HP.

Evidence and quality of the VAG parts bin was abundant and everything worked well and felt well put together.

Elegance and up have xenon lights with active 'bending' lights. Some versions have off road mode, just dampens the engine response to make it steadier off road. The rear seats, as well as sliding and reclining they also fold forward (seat back down) and tumble (whole seat rolls forward again). The seats are split 40/20/40 and the middle can be removed completely and the others slid inwards. They also can be removed too making what is in effect, a van.

Been VAG parts and service are readily avaialble.

No experience of the Kuga - waiting on a Mk3 to be delivered. Its leased, and far cheaper and better equipped than the equivalent new Skoda which is the Karoq.... All things been equal, if the Karoq was as cheap in lease I would be seriously considering that.
Thanks! I am attracted to the practical nature of the skoda, the tumbly seat van mode i like, I drive a Peugeot partner at the moment and it lives in that mode most of the time.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Both these cars are great choices. The Yeti is perhaps better for practicality because although it's slightly smaller, it has more versatile rear seats that individually fold or can be removed altogether. The two outer seats can also be moved closer to the centre of the car to increase shoulder room by taking the middle seat out. With all the seats out, boot space is a huge 1,760 litres - more than a Volvo V70. The Kuga has fixed rear seats - similar to a Focus, so although they fold down they do little else. There's little between them on the road and they're both enjoyable and good to drive.
Thanks, if they are virtually the same to drive then the rear seat versatility could be the decider. Would you say that the interior quality is better in the kuga?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I looked at Yetis before a Kuga too, but I personally find them very boring and rather old looking, although I'm sure they're good quality.

You can guess what I went for and I'm now on my second one I was that impressed :D
I don't mind the look of the Yeti, but I know what you mean, I prefer the look of the kuga and the interior seems better.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts