Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am in the process of evaluating these two cars. I have conluded that Kuga beats the crv hands down in most areas except from, roominess.

Could you please advice if a family man with two children, will have a problem with the rather small Kuga boot, or if I will be getting complaints from the rear passengers?

Moreover I would apprecite if you could advice me if the refinement is top notch? I ve read in whatcar than wind noise is too much on high speeds. Is this true?

Thank you, and excuse my English.

·
Registered
374 Posts
no wind noise. Kuga is just the best. However, I guess coming on a Kuga website you will either get a brilliant response, or ignored for daring to ask regarding a Honda. How rude,lol.

I would imagine the majority would agree, the Mighty Kuga is the best looking SUV on the road, so may be a very biased opinion.

You will have all the space you need, after all, when you own a Kuga, your "King of the Road"........

·
Registered
155 Posts
Not noticed wind noise on the Kuga either. I had a Tiguan hire car for a while, now that was noisy. Next door neighbour had a new CRV for six months and replaced it for a new civic. Did not like the fuel consumption. However they are meant to be good cars, but I thought they were too expensive (but then I do get a discount from Ford).
My only gripe with the Kuga is that the boot is a bit small, which means I might have to get a roof box. But then I do compare that to the Mondeo I have before which was enormous.

I didnt think the CRV boot was a lot bigger tbh.

The Kuga build quality is pretty good, but then the Honda is also top notch. The Honda interia is a little bland and 'functional' for my taste.

Generally though they are both good cars. I just went for the cheaper one, which I also thought was the better looking.

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
Interesting comments Prior to ordering the Kuga I had short listed three vehicles they consisted of a VW Tiguan, nice plenty of legroom but felt empty, nice touches like auto handbrake and parking assist car determines whether it will fit in space all you do is control gas and brake Weird very very weird. CRV EX a vehicle which puts all even the Kuga to shame in terms of gadgets/extras, now where shall I start. Full leather heated seats, Built in Voice recogition Sat Nav/DVD/Bluetooth, rear camera, 8 position electric drivers seat with lumber, front/rear parking sensors, 18" Alloys, Get this Full size Panaramic sunroofeven a built indevice which prevents snaking when towing,Power folding mirrorsthe price was the same as the Kuga Titanium however one major drawback was Honda factory as some may recall was closed from January until June 2009 and they only had one colour Whistler Silver available and CRV if ordered in May/June would not be built until around September following the long closure, sadlymy carterm at that time expired in July, which kind of narrowed the choice right down compared to the VW Tiguan the Kuga was best out of the two the CRV to be honest I think because of the whole package compared to Ford where you have two specs bothsimilar and compared to the CRVbasic. When you have to decide what options/extras you need to add on curiously Honda had all those as standard and some. So Ford Take note, yes I am happy with my forced choice but my other half just loved the Honda CRV basically because of all the standard toys fitted and she maintained that it represented far better VFM. I repeat more than happy with the Kuga bothdrove the same really but theCRV to steal a Ford Ad claim of a few years back Honda gives you far more . . .

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all for the comments. Seems like bobuptown dealt with what I am dealing now. CRV, here in Greece offers that exact car with no colour restrictions and the price is as the Kuga. CRV lucks material quality, designand roadmanners. Some extras I can ignore. I dont like leather for an example.

However how abou the room for the back pessengers and the luggages. Are you happy from the Kuga?

·
Registered
287 Posts
teh Kuga is built on a focus platform so follws its space in most bits. passenger room for long legged folk is same as Focus etc and will allow 5 adults but oyu may need ot move seats forwards a bit for comfort in rear.
boot is adequate for most of time but roof box will be needed for lots of luggage etc. ideally an S =max or Galaxy will suit most better if considering intrenal room and carrying capacity. the Kuga is well behaved, good on road and for towing with excellent looks and of course as normal Ford screw oyu every time oyu want an addition such as folding rear mirrors or built in sat nav etc. ( hence losing market share to Honda etc) still they do know thier market and Ford policy is to charge everybody what the market will bear! so expect to pay through nose for anything form Ford.

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
Hi Hornchurchmale. Spot on . . . agree 100% with your comments in respect of Fords policy paying through the nose for all extras, how times have changed "Ford gives you more" not anymore eh!! Kuga wins on design at this moment in time however not too sure just how long that will last, there are somestunning looking vehicles due to be launched which have been held back due to the credit crunch so we will see. Regards. Bob.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
HEY BOBUPTOWN, could you please be more specific when it comes to boot and rear passengers space? CRV is bigger but is the size and boot capacity of Kuga a real drawback?

·
Registered
385 Posts
the kuga is far better looking than the honda crv and look how long they shut the plant down for, also the crv is looking very old kuga/focus plant shut down for 2 weeks .the kuga has no problems with 4 adults in it

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'll add my 2 pence worth. I'd go for the Kuga as it's platform is based on the Focus which is a great drive and newer than the CRV.

I had a new civic type-r and had to trade it on after only 9 months due to very poor honda service and hard ride. I then bought a Focus ST and having never owned a new ford and hearing all the horor stories I was really worried but now i'm onto a Kuga due to the addition of a new baby and I must say I loved the ST and will buy another one or an RS and the kuga is great but I do find myself driving over grass and taking short cuts I shouldn't to test the AWD. Bad me!

·
Registered
84 Posts
i considered a crv because of the extra room and dealership just down the road. However at the time the ford dealerships were competing over discounts and when i went in to the honda dealership the guy could hardly be bothered to even speak to me. When i told him i could get a good deal from ford but was considering a crv so what was the best deal on a basic crv his reply was a snooty "we dont sell many of those" and that they dont do deals because it discounts the brand. I had to drag out of him the deal that they were advertising on tv at the time. I just left , very unimpressed.

Anyway love my Kuga. Leg room seems fine in the back and the boot is better than it seemed at first, but i have bought a small roof box to stick everything in when we go on a family holiday so can fit pushchair, travel cot, bucket and spades, girlfriend's packing etc. Only noticed wind noise when box is on.

mike

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
THANK YOU ALL. Case closed. I ve order the Kuga. CRV, seems out dated for me. As soon as I made the deal, I knew I did the right thing!

Cheers and regards from Cyprus.

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
Sorry Magick the Kuga rear legroom for mewas not an issue seemed absolutely fine, the boot well because the CRV is what's the word Square and not as sculptured in a design sense as the Kuga and thereforeI have to admit the bootdid appear bigger in the CRV however only one colour available? both to be fair seemed great to drive and the Honda did have a lot of standard goodies that Ford would of fleeced you for if like for like they were all specified (Pana roof dropped by Ford now anyway)Listenyou will love the Kuga because it's modern with nice shiny twin exhausts andsilver grey bit's basically the Honda is just a tad dated now in comparison. Good Luck. Bob.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have just got rid of a CRV latest model which was 18 months old and bought a Kuga. You have made the right choice at the minute I am just washing it and it is sparkling in the sunlight and I can't stop smiling at it. The Honda as other people have said is loaded with all the bells and whistles I wish Ford would have done a simalar top spec. The Honda felt solid and everthing fitted well the Sat Nav was easy and well thought out giving you a list of 5 different routes to your destination. Everything was electric even the panno roof sunshades the boot was a lot bigger than the kugas and even had a shelf which was a double load deck where you put the heavier items underneath and 10kg could then sit on the shelf above. Overall I think the Kuga is a smaller car but more fun
The Honda reputation I found to be a myth with the air conditioning suffering from a leak also water ingress into the drivers footwell which took 2 attemps to repair 1 taking over a week and also I was convinced it pulled to the left. One thing I would say is the Honda Dealer would always provide a courtesey car and even one time giving us a hybrid demo car for the week.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Hi Magik, Welcome to the forum, i am new to this but find it a brilliant way of finding things out and the people on here are really friendly. We tested a CRV prior to buying our Kuga. I must admit, you have made the right choice, the Kuga is a fantastic car, in both looks and practicality. We really liked the CRV and like everyone has said, the extras were all as standard on the EX model, however, it was a little dated and to be honest, boring !!! We love our new Kuga, however we did go for the top of the range and all the available extras.
You will enjoy driving your new Kuga, please let us know how you get on when you pick it up,
VickAndIzzy.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you all for youe valuable input. Exact my thoughts! I went for the Kuga cause is much more fun to drive and it looks much more a quality car.

Didnt cause for the top of the range since I hate leather and the sunroof was indifferent to me. Cant wait to get it. Will keep you informed.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts