Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all iv bought a used 13 plate 2.0 diesel AWD . When I pull away in a hill or flat and my wheels are turned. A noise occurs from the rear underneath. Almost a knocking clicks sound maybe suffrage noises or worse ?

·
Registered
651 Posts
Rear driveshaft CV joint or diff problem made worse by turning. Needs a mechanic to look at it. Would have been an existing fault when you bought it in all likelihood, so as long as a recent purchase the supplying dealer should fix it. If private purchase you are on your own.

·
Mr. Forgetful
ST-Line Edition 2019 AWD - Petrol - Auto
1,265 Posts
Sounds like a rear driveshaft issue, as AWD will only apply power to the rear on pulling away or losing traction. I'd get it checked out ASAP!

·
2016 Kuga Titanium 2.0l EcoBoost
3,552 Posts
Check if all the tyres are the same model/ size and worn reasonably evenly. The AWD system can make noises if there's a big enough difference in circumference. Possibly not related to your noise, but worth checking.

·
Registered
2015 TDCi 150 Zetec with all optional extras
93 Posts
I agree with Phil. My guess is the VCU is ok. Either or each side of the VCU should be a prop shaft support bearing. When turning, the rear wheels rotate less than the front, thus most of the drive transfer is on the prop shaft. The rubber mounts that are more than likely cheap, take a bashing, and the bearing knocks against the outer shell. Quite common on AWD with a VCU.
They should look something like this.

As already stated, if you intend to keep the vehicle a while, AWD procedure is important.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.