Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

forgive me if this has been addressed already somewhere but I’m in need of help.
I have a Kuga 2013 model. I’ve had numerous issues! In the last 3 years it has broken down over 15 times. It’s constantly losing coolant. I have been to numerous mechanics to fix the problem. Including Ford one afternoon when my car broke down due to overheating and I had to pull in at ford out of the blue for help as I was stranded with my baby in the car on a 40 degree day. I’m now at the point where I have to get A heater hose replaced which is another expense. I’ve had the thermostat fixed/replaced. Serviced. All necessary things fixed. But still a problem. Another problem I’ve encountered is extremely strange. The sound doesn’t work. The radio screen and buttons all work. But absolutely no sound from the radio or for Bluetooth ... nothing! For no reason. Then Randomly when I changed the batteries in my keys it started working again!! 🤷🏽‍♀️. And now it’s happened again!? Changed the batteries in the hopes it may work again but to no avail. Mechanics are baffled and I can’t get an answer. I’ve been quoted by ford over $900 to get the problem fixed. Forgive me if I use incorrect terminology here, the system inside needs to be completely replaced. This car is costing me a fortune and it’s ridiculous. Im
Over it. There was a recall issue about coolant problems but ford are refusing to acknowledge or help in anyway. Just passing it on as someone else’s problem and quoting me more money. I’m sick of it. I’m a single mother and treated like a fool. I understand I’m no car genius but I know this isn’t normal.
Has anyone else had similar issues? Any advice on reasons or how to proceed with complaining further and more directly to Ford? I’m driving scared I’ll break down somewhere with my kids.
Thank you so much in advance.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Hi there Rhiannon, welcome along to the forum!!!

Certainly sounds like there are a couple of things going on that aren’t quite right..

The most important one is of course the car overheating and being unreliable… a replacement hose should be relatively cheap to source I’d have thought? They’re made out of rubber and so perish over time. They also can have things rub on them in the engine bay and may wear through, springing a leak.. A good local garage should be able to get you the right hose and install it relatively cheaply. you could try looking up local garages on google and see which gets the best reviews / ratings?

Have the leaking hose replaced.
Coolant shouldn’t go anywhere… if it keeps dropping down its fill level, there will be a leak elsewhere else. Could be a stone chip in the radiator or something equally as frustrating to find.. with any luck, the replacement hose will fix it. Otherwsie, put some newspaper under the car.. park up and let the engine heat up… you should see it dripping out and it may help identify whee its leaking from… make sure there isn’t a LOT of white smoke coming out of the exhaust… that white smoke is steam and it’s a PAIN IN THE ASS to fix.

As for the lack of soubnd, my guess would be a loose speaker connector at the back of the stereo… or a broken volume button on the stereo.

Hope the above helps!!

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Hi Rhiannon, you didn't give any vehicle details, is you car a petrol or diesel, what size engine is it.
The first thing to try with the sound is get someone to remove the fuse 67 in the fusebox behind the glovebox for about 10 minutes then replace, this resets the sync entertainment system.
Try this before spending any more money.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
There was a recall issue about coolant problems but ford are refusing to acknowledge or help in anyway.
I'm guessing you've got the 1.6l EcoBoost by all the problems? You can get a list of all Australian recalls for the Kuga here Browse all recalls (hopefully the link will take you straight to them.)

I'd print out any that are relevant and check in the driver's side door frame- the usual thing is to stick a sticker in there when recalls are completed. If they're refusing to complete any recalls consumer affairs might be the next call (after giving the dealer a letter requesting any outstanding recalls are done.)

For your electrical issues, the first place I'd say to check is the battery terminals- particularly the negative terminal which is hidden right up the back under the windscreen. The negative has a sensor (box looking thing with two wires coming out of it) that controls the battery charging. I've seen a lot of weird electrical issues and that has been the cause. Any white or green corrosion is bad news and needs to be cleaned up, sometimes the wires on the sensor are broken from corrosion.

The picture below shows the sensor- it was taken with all the trim below the windscreen removed. You need to pull the cover off the battery and use a torch to see it - it's the furthermost terminal from the front of the car.

IMG_20200223_163656 (Medium).jpg

1 - 4 of 4 Posts