Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Kuga ST-Line X edition PHEV
51 Posts
You're correct, the actual range deepends more on driving style and areas.

The kuga doesn't do fast charge, but it does charge faster than the 3 pin plug of connected to a 7kw charger.

Most seem to be stating that they are being shown 28 miles straight away, when new cars are showing 35, not that it drops when they drive.

Just wondering if anyone has seen better if they used the slow charger instead of a wall charger.
Battery management is carried out by the car, but chargers can condition batteries and affect them in a different way.

It'll be interesting to see if things improve using the 3 pin plug for some, but I'll find out myself when my charger is finally installed

·
Registered
2021 S/Silver Vignale 225 FWD PHEV
202 Posts
Here's a new one :
Just fully charged to 100% at a public charge point. App said fully charged and blue plug charge light steady. Unplugged, got in vehicle and started, but car shows "fully charged 95%" "37miles range". Moved the car about 150yrds to home, down to 99% on app and dropped to "36miles range" on app.
Gonna do a 37 mile round trip today (on electric) and see what really happens. (Only got 37miles of fuel in the tank)

·
Registered
27 Posts
We charge ours each night to full, 38/39 miles showing. On home charger.
Wife goes to work and back each day which is 33/34 miles total and a bit of running around in the evening.
It very rarely goes into engine power doing this.
Very pleased with it.
Just need to see electric bill , although it charges on cheap rate 5p kwh through the night.
Regards
Rob.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Look forward to your update later on 👍
Got a total of 39.2 electric miles in the end from a "37 mile" charge.
Strange thing is, once the full charge is depleted to showing "0" miles, when you totter around at low speed, it still runs on electric only?

·
Registered
Kuga 2021 ST-Line X PHEV Magnetic
127 Posts
0% on the charge indicator is never 0% in the battery, Ford reserves an amount to run the car. I believe the petrol engine doesn't have enough torque to accelerate the car on its own.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Strange thing is, once the full charge is depleted to showing "0" miles, when you totter around at low speed, it still runs on electric only?
thats great news be very happy with that.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Here's a new one :
Just fully charged to 100% at a public charge point. App said fully charged and blue plug charge light steady. Unplugged, got in vehicle and started, but car shows "fully charged 95%" "37miles range". Moved the car about 150yrds to home, down to 99% on app and dropped to "36miles range" on app.
Gonna do a 37 mile round trip today (on electric) and see what really happens. (Only got 37miles of fuel in the tank)
Charged again.

In app 100% - 46miles range.
In Car 100% - 39 miles range.
Font Material property Circle Screenshot Brand

469 miles Total estimated.

Never mind. I'll just enjoy the car!!(y)(y)

·
Registered
Kuga 2021 ST-Line X PHEV Magnetic
127 Posts
Last journey into London on a full charge - battery had 0 miles left.

·
Super Moderator and Mr Grumpy
6,710 Posts
Last journey into London on a full charge - battery had 0 miles left.
Does the journey time of 2 hours, 20 minutes equate to the 39.9 miles.

·
Registered
202 Posts
It's likely a round trip. Or very heavy traffic.

·
Registered
592 Posts
0% on the charge indicator is never 0% in the battery, Ford reserves an amount to run the car. I believe the petrol engine doesn't have enough torque to accelerate the car on its own.
There is always some charge retained for urgent acceleration, otherwise the car would behave very differently when the charge was depleted. The petrol engine is fine on it's own but if you watch the power meter the white (petrol) and blue (electric) are blended to differing amounts even under constant acceleration, tends to be electric initially for quick response and then petrol later.

·
Registered
2020 Kuga ST-Line X First Edition PHEV
6 Posts
Do you think there could be different software/firmware versions available for modules in the car? I've found when i fully charge mine, i get a reading of 16 miles available, which then updates a minutes later to something like 34 miles. I can only dream about seeing 46 miles !

Attachments

·
Registered
2020, Kuga PHEV, ST Line X.
46 Posts
Do you think there could be different software/firmware versions available for modules in the car? I've found when i fully charge mine, i get a reading of 16 miles available, which then updates a minutes later to something like 34 miles. I can only dream about seeing 46 miles !
This calculation is made based on recent electric driving efficiency. You can check that on one of the dash screens - kwh/100km consumption and estimated driving range on next full charge.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Its all a bit hit and miss.
Ours was charged up to 41 miles this morning.
Did one half of a 26 mile trip and it had dropped to 22 miles left.
After the full trip of 26 miles it was down to 8 miles left.
The trip was all motorway really so it obviously uses a bit more at motorway speeds rather than around town trips.
Its at its happiest tootling around town i think for max miles per charge where it uses regeneration to keep topping it back up increasing the range i presume.
Still delighted with the car though.

Not figured the mpg working yet as last time i filled up it had 335 range.
This time filling up before a long trip to Cornwall tomorrow it is showing 356 range.
Hey ho..1

·
Registered
2020 Kuga ST-Line X First Edition PHEV
6 Posts
Just to update every on here. I have a First Edition which seems to have been driven for a few months when it was new and then sat in a field for almost 9 months before I got it.
After charging the car fully, the efficiency stats would reset and I would get a reading of 16mile range on a full charge - as soon in the screen shots on my other post.
Just got back from the Ford dealer who told me that they have updated my PCM and hopefully this would show me a better and more accurate estate.
So there is obviously different PCM software versions out there. Maybe that is a reason why different people are having different results.

·
Registered
27 Posts
A further update on ours and now when charging to full it shows a range of 33 miles which is a fair drop from what it used to show. Which was about 41 after a full charge.
not sure if it's the colder weather is now affecting it? Gone from 19-20 degrees in the morning down to 8 or 9 degrees ..
It seems to be accurate still as my wife's commute to work is still covered on electric only but there is definitely less mileage in the battery once home and the evening running about kicks the engine in sooner than it used to.
Still very pleased with the car though.

·
Registered
592 Posts
A further update on ours and now when charging to full it shows a range of 33 miles which is a fair drop from what it used to show. Which was about 41 after a full charge.
not sure if it's the colder weather is now affecting it? Gone from 19-20 degrees in the morning down to 8 or 9 degrees ..
It seems to be accurate still as my wife's commute to work is still covered on electric only but there is definitely less mileage in the battery once home and the evening running about kicks the engine in sooner than it used to.
Still very pleased with the car though.
Yes, 10 degree drop will knock off 10%. Here is a graph for the Nissan Leaf but all EV batteries work in a similar way

Rectangle Slope Plot Line Font

·
Registered
2021 phev Kuga st line
15 Posts
Vehicle Font Electric blue Auto part Personal luxury car
Well after a month of thirty something electric ranges I was offered 48 mls ! this morning after a colder night.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts