Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i bought my Kuga hybrid last June 2020 and stopped charging the battery due to Ford's instruction rearding the fire issue. The new batteries were replaced this month February 2021. Unfortunately the full charge is only showing as 26 miles of electric driving whereas last year it was 36 - 40 miles. Ford are saying that because of the cold weather this is normal. Has anybody also experienced this issue?

·
Super Moderator
2,605 Posts
Every hybrid gets lower range in cold weather as the battery is not performing under optimum conditions.
26 miles at the cost of all that additional weight, hardly seems worth it does it?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just had mine delivered back from the battery fix and the battery range is 35 miles - it’s a lot warmer now than at the start of the month so I think that Nigel B is right about the efficiency of the battery related to the temperature. All updates done, valeted and fuel topped up. Looking forward to being able to charge the car again.

·
Registered
7 Posts
There has been a long discussion about this on the 'Ford Kuga/Escape PHEV Owners' Group on FB. Apparently, as well as the cold temperature, the car learns the characteristics of how you drive to estimate the electric range. There is a graph on there that shows the range decreases at high temperatures too (>30deg C).

·
Registered
12 Posts
Had the HV battery replaced last Friday - car returned valeted, fuel levels topped up and all updates done from dealer - really pleased with the job. Took car out Saturday, ev normal mode , recharged battery on return to full. Monday drove again using ev normal for 8 mile round trip - on the return journey the car died on me - no response from the accelerator although all electrics working - came to a standstill in busy traffic - AA arrived - couldn’t get car to move in ev normal or get the engine to cut in - eventually got it to move with a battery reset - AA followed me towards the dealer premises - car stopped a further 2 times which needed two more battery resets before reaching the dealers premises approx 4 miles away. Dealer took car in straight away and has had it now for two days - I received a message on Ford pass “ The powertrain control system has detected a fault in the high voltage system cooling pump. Air may be present in the system”. Dealer has done a bleed of the system with support from Ford tech department and has road tested the car today. Hope to get a further update tomorrow and will keep you posted.

·
Super Moderator
2,605 Posts
There is approaching a time when the hybrid Kugas are going to be returned en masse.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Had the HV battery replaced last Friday - car returned valeted, fuel levels topped up and all updates done from dealer - really pleased with the job. Took car out Saturday, ev normal mode , recharged battery on return to full. Monday drove again using ev normal for 8 mile round trip - on the return journey the car died on me - no response from the accelerator although all electrics working - came to a standstill in busy traffic - AA arrived - couldn’t get car to move in ev normal or get the engine to cut in - eventually got it to move with a battery reset - AA followed me towards the dealer premises - car stopped a further 2 times which needed two more battery resets before reaching the dealers premises approx 4 miles away. Dealer took car in straight away and has had it now for two days - I received a message on Ford pass “ The powertrain control system has detected a fault in the high voltage system cooling pump. Air may be present in the system”. Dealer has done a bleed of the system with support from Ford tech department and has road tested the car today. Hope to get a further update tomorrow and will keep you posted.
This seems to be a not uncommon problem post HV battery replacement. The battery uses coolant for cooling and obviously the replacement battery is dry when it arrives. For some reason some dealers are failing to purge all of the air from the battery and the air lock results in an overheating warning. I'm not sure why this is happening as topping up and purging the system is part of the replacement process.

·
Registered
592 Posts
There is approaching a time when the hybrid Kugas are going to be returned en masse.
To be fair the problem above is not that common and many people with PHEV cars (27k of them in Europe) have had no problems at all other than the HV replacement. I suppose you hear about the problems but don't hear about all the ones that are working fine. FHEV is different as has a much smaller battery.

I think most of the rejected cars have already gone back and many of those will be bought second hand post fix soon.

·
Registered
12 Posts
To be fair the problem above is not that common and many people with PHEV cars (27k of them in Europe) have had no problems at all other than the HV replacement. I suppose you hear about the problems but don't hear about all the ones that are working fine. FHEV is different as has a much smaller battery.

I think most of the rejected cars have already gone back and many of those will be bought second hand post fix soon.

Got my car back from the dealer - hv battery bled - all seems well . Took your advice and googled 12 v battery and ev - amazed to see how many other major car companies are having issues with the hv and 12 v batteries. It’s not just Ford

·
Registered
11 Posts
Had to get my software updated before getting my hv battery replaced as the 12v system kept draining.

Think it was some bug in the mobile / comms module that meant it wasn't shutting down properly?

·
Registered
3 Posts
i bought my Kuga hybrid last June 2020 and stopped charging the battery due to Ford's instruction rearding the fire issue. The new batteries were replaced this month February 2021. Unfortunately the full charge is only showing as 26 miles of electric driving whereas last year it was 36 - 40 miles. Ford are saying that because of the cold weather this is normal. Has anybody also experienced this issue?
I am in the same position Milman & I am keeping a log of charges & mileage achieved for my local Ford garage who, have had a few cars back with the same problem.
Ford, though, just say it's down to driving style & weather!!. This is a load of crap!. I'm not disputing there are differing circumstance that alter the mileage but there are no circumstance that affect the actual charging of the battery? This is my issue, it use to accept 35/38 miles per charge & now tops out at a max of 28 at best?. Nothing to do with use!! So my new battery is now inferior to the original one & so is sold to me not as described IMHO. I will either get this resolved via a new & improved battery or i will be pushing for a return of vehicle under the sales of goods act!

·
Registered
592 Posts
I am in the same position Milman & I am keeping a log of charges & mileage achieved for my local Ford garage who, have had a few cars back with the same problem.
Ford, though, just say it's down to driving style & weather!!. This is a load of crap!. I'm not disputing there are differing circumstance that alter the mileage but there are no circumstance that affect the actual charging of the battery? This is my issue, it use to accept 35/38 miles per charge & now tops out at a max of 28 at best?. Nothing to do with use!! So my new battery is now inferior to the original one & so is sold to me not as described IMHO. I will either get this resolved via a new & improved battery or i will be pushing for a return of vehicle under the sales of goods act!
The replacement battery is identical - it has to be as the car is type approved with that battery spec.

The range calculation takes about 1500 miles to become reasonably accurate. Range calculations on all cars are based on a collection of figures. Ford do not specify this anywhere I have found in public, but others do and for example one car maker uses a static consumption figure, a figure based on an average over 600 miles and another over 1500 miles. Until these averages have been completed the estimate is very rough indeed. When the battery was replaced these figures were zeroed. I would just ignore it and not worry about it. I set off on a journey at about 60% charge last week with a 'range of 21 miles' and after 68 miles had done 47 on electric. The car is a hybrid not an EV so even when the engine starts up, it then shuts down again when there is enough charge present.

·
Registered
3 Posts
That does not explain why the originally battery accurately accounted for 35/6 miles straight from the start every charge.
I do seriously worry about it as my battery is not performing like yours!. I am lucky if I get 25 miles of electric period! I even noticed yesterday when I put it in "let the engine regenerate" mode it actually took 2 miles off!!. My car is a first edition so I don't know if other mods where made later but mine is just not "what it says on the box!"

·
Registered
592 Posts
That does not explain why the originally battery accurately accounted for 35/6 miles straight from the start every charge.
I do seriously worry about it as my battery is not performing like yours!. I am lucky if I get 25 miles of electric period! I even noticed yesterday when I put it in "let the engine regenerate" mode it actually took 2 miles off!!. My car is a first edition so I don't know if other mods where made later but mine is just not "what it says on the box!"
When you originally got the car - what time of year was it - range is hugely affected by temperature with 20C the optimal and at 0C the range will be 20% less

How many miles have you done since the battery change ?

How many miles does it actually do on a charge - ignore the predicted range which will go up and down as you drive along and is a work of fiction

The car spec has not changed since launch where the battery is concerned.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Had my car now a month, after having new battery fitted. It charges up to 35-37 miles. And driving range been right also.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My Kuga recall was completed at the end of March. I just charged it again in Mid May. The console in the care showed 40 miles. Within 1 mile this had dropped to 32 miles. I am certainly not convinced about the ability of the car to get the appropriate amount of charge.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My battery seems fine, charges up to 37-41miles but mines a brand new factory built as I made them take my original one back as not fit for purpose and I refused to have a retrofitted one standing my ground that I wanted one of the new ones made with the new drive train installed at the time of building the rest of the car. I have however noticed that this 2nd PHEV is often REALLY noisy when charging up, it sounds like a kettle boiling for 6hrs with a VERY noticeable high pitched whine? Now I’ve read that it might be the electric pump just running coolant/water around the battery packs to keep them cool during charging? Anyone else’s make a high pitched whine noise when charging as my old one didn’t do this it was dead silent apart from a barely noticeable hum

·
Registered
2021 S/Silver Vignale 225 FWD PHEV
202 Posts
Take a look at this thread here....
A member describes a similar issue as your "Whine" in reply #03

·
Registered
2021 Kuga ST-Line X edition PHEV
51 Posts
So here's a thing, and I can't find any reference to it in the ford manual.

My colleague has the MG EV, he was one of the first to buy.
His range is about 160, but had recently dropped to 85.
He complained and the dealer said he needs to charge it on the granny plug, slow charger every so often.
The fast chargers don't equalise the batteries. When it charges slowly, the system works out which cells are slightly low, so actually discharges certain cells to bring them all to the same point, and then recharges them all to max.

Doing this bright his range back to 160+
He called bullshit, but it's actually in the MG manual.

Just wondering, those saying it doesn't charge enough, are you using faster chargers, because most of us will be on the granny plug for the first month or so, which is when we all say, no problem, still getting 35 range.

·
Registered
2020, Kuga PHEV, ST Line X.
46 Posts
Kuga is charging slow even on fast chargers. Battery balancing should be managed by car battery management no matter the charger connected, but in case of some cars it doesnt have to be true?
In case of Kuga range displayed on battery strongly depends on driving style used before. You can switch to EV effectivity screen to see recent avg kwh/100km information based on which max distance is being calculated. From my observation:
  • as soon as I hit highway with full battery, effectivity goes down to 20kwh/100km. Max distance on fully charged battery is around 55km.
  • when driving in the city and take care on fluent acceleration and braking, Im able to get to 15kwh/100km and thus max battery range gets to 75km once fully charged.

To conclude, max battery distance displayed on dash strongly depends how you drive your car. Even when it tells you 55km, you can get longer distance if you are gentle on driving and using the car in city mostly and vice versa.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts