Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I picked up another Kuga yesterday, but wasn't able to stretch to one with Xenons so I fancy trying out some of the newer CREE LED lights (like this). I'm expecting to have to modify the dust cap that's on the back of the headlight cluster to accommodate some extra cabling and potentially a canbus widget too.

I don't want to knacker the OEM part, so would like to find a replacement...

To my question: Does anyone know what that part is called, or even better a part number? I tried googling it, and so far I can only find rubber, round dust caps (part #13N168) whereas I thought this had clipped on plastic covers?

Thanks

Michael

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
Hi Michael, I'd suggest giving them a good test run at night before permanently modifying your dust caps.

Retrofitted LED's usually end up not working as good as the proper halogen bulbs- they change the beam pattern and you'll probably not have a very good high beam distance. You might also find people flashing their headlights at you because of the glare on low beam.

·
Registered
6,343 Posts
The price of those lamps is very low for the lamps and regulators. They quote that each lamp assembly is 30W, which they may well be made up of LEDs than total 30W but the heatsink on the isnt capable of dissipating 30W so they are probably running at 10W at most and the extra overhead available is to allow them to get hot.

AS Murcod says, they wont work as well as a halogen bulb that has a single point of light source, and wont be inline with the focal point of the headlight reflector so beam pattern wont be legal.

I have been to the test lab of Ring in the UK and observed the testing of their lamps in a spherical enclosure to ensure the total light output is measured and that it is not above the legal maximum (1500lumen for a halogen headlight). I then observed how lamps were tested in different manufacturers headlamps (they had several dozen headlamps in a rack) and a long room to observe and determine how much light is intentionally and unintentionally scattered to the side. A camera was used to display the results on a monitor, which had the regulation beam patterns outlined and superimposed on the image. A demonstration of a standard halogen bulb against a +80% of their own make, showed an increase in light in one area and a decrease in other areas but the total light output was still legal at 1500lm. Put the lamp in another manufacturers headlight and it was almost illegal with the scatter.

Headlights from different manufacturers and indeed from the same manufacturer but different model vehicles produced differing results. Point I'm trying to make is that after market headlight bulbs with plus values as well as LED devices that use 2 points of source of light will not produce the best results and probably produce an illegal beam pattern. Not that they are being discouraged in the UK anyway, as there are plenty around with 6000k (blue tint) and are so obvious. The drivers know they are causing discomfort to other drivers.

It is possible to make aftermarket LED replacements using one LED so the effective focal point of the headlight reflector can be used, but the assembly would have to be individually designed for each headlight.

Edited by: Fillco

·
Registered
6,343 Posts
[No message]

·
Registered
155 Posts
It is possible to make aftermarket LED replacements using one LED so the
effective focal point of the headlight reflector can be used, but the
assembly would have to be individually designed for each headlight.
Does this mean that all halogen bulbs must be headlight specific?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi Guys, thanks for acepting my registration, I am having trouble to fit my new set of LED H7 lights, the dust cover on my Kuga 2016 is not rounded and is not ruber, how you giys deal with this issue , anyone?
Also I was not able to find the part on ebay, my intention is to modify the dust cover but I want to have the replacement, any ideas where I can buy this part?
Thanks again for the help

1 - 16 of 16 Posts