Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
I travel 64 miles each way to work 3 days a week which takes me just over an hour.
A133,A120,A12,A120,M11 Route wise.
A133 varies from 30mph to 60mph and I travel aprrox 20 minutes on that.
A120 Is a much faster dual carriageway most of the way 70mph and spend about 20 minutes on that.
A12 Is 3 lanes wide but trucks about so speed around 70mph.
A120 single file through a couple of villages 30mph or slower, then open road dual carriageway again.
M11 winding down from A120 onto M11 nice run 12 miles from Stanstead to Harlow 70mph.

That's all done from Clacton-on-Sea to Harlow start of journey 5.45 am..................Flying along and NEVER notice the re-generation.

Going home is a different story.

Same journey backwards start time 4pm......................arrive home 5.45-6pm.
I do try to keep my revs in the 2500 area for about 20 minutes in the morning's when there's no one about and it gets me there a little quicker and of course keeps that dreaded DPF at bay (y)

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Its on Tesco tomorrow, and for a change outbound & in bound same route.

Non towing, boot full but low weight, solo mission for 2 days. M6, A14, M11.
Its tight & twisty country lanes to digs so that might pull it down a little.
Will report Friday, as if all well that should be it for a good few weeks regarding longs runs.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
And even though you do short journeys do you ever know when it does a re-gen cos I can't tell.
There has been the odd smell of bad eggs which I assume it is when it is doing it. I knew the Kuga would be ok around the town as I got some feedback from quite a few taxi drivers first who drive Mondeo's. I think the main thing is to keep the engine hot and not do journeys of two minutes. My journey to the shops consists of

Route 1 - approx 1 mile 30 zone but sat at traffic lights. Never get them at green. 5 minutes in a 60 zone and 5 minutes 30 zone.

Route 2 - approx 1\2 mile 30 zone then 10 minutes on a 40mph dual carriageway.

Route 3 - Chinese on a Friday. As route 2 + further 10 minutes in a 30 zone with light to medium traffic.

That's all my car has done since January 2019 apart from a couple of holidays and the odd day trip.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
So if I put V power in my car will it not sound like a diesel. Serious question by the way. He says with a smile on his face. I haven't tried it in the Kuga. The last time I bought the BP version my Mazda 6 failed a regeneration 150 miles down the road and haven't bothered since. Coincidence perhaps as the Mazda wasn't too good at for regeneration and wouldn't try again and just throw all of its towels in and had to make a visit to a stealer to sort it.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
By that I meant the the way it idled.
It idles slightly faster in my mind and smoother.
A combination of the lube in fuel & possibly the higher cetane value of the fuel.
Believe shell and its because the internals are now super clean!

I tried the BP version twice and on both occasions less mpg. Never worked that one out.

Setting off now to Sunny Stansted, glue sniffing (UPVC plastic pipe plumbing), trying the local fare, and having the banter with those south of Watford gap. Some people call it work!

Reactions: smartguy69

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
I was hoping it was some super fuel that made my diesel sound like a petrol. The Kuga is not quite as noisy as some, like Jeep for example, but when I move the wife's Mokka in the drive I have to check I have started the engine as it's so quiet.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
The peugeot engine is not the quietest one available. And before the oil is warmed up do rattle a bit. Once warm they are free revving abeit helped by the vari vaned turbo.

Just come back from site 1: Tesco flavor fuel.. 490 mile trip, computer says 48.9mpg with 88 remaining..
So it needs a drink!

I do wonder if the mpg and good running is to do with the 23 -29 deg C outside temperature, and the Air Con was flipped on a time or two as well.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
You can tell when it's in regen mode, instead of 0.1 gal/hr at tickover it jumps up to 0.5 gal/hr.

I've told my wife if she sees it at 0.5 when parked on the drive leave it running until it comes back down to 0.1 again.

The fan also comes on in regen (never normally does), we don't use aircon much!.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
You can tell when it's in regen mode, instead of 0.1 gal/hr at tickover it jumps up to 0.5 gal/hr.

I've told my wife if she sees it at 0.5 when parked on the drive leave it running until it comes back down to 0.1 again.

The fan also comes on in regen (never normally does), we don't use aircon much!.
Mine always shows 0.2 gal/HR at tickover but will keep an eye out for a higher reading.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts