Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

My car (2010 Kuga, 2.0 TDCI, 103Kw) was in 200 tkm service where they replaced timing belt with water pump and fuel filter in addition to the normal service. Now the problem is that the engine does not rev over 2500 rpm and there are no warning lights on nor any fault codes can be found. Engines feels to have all power and torque until it comes to 2500 rpm after it cuts power for a moment and then it runs again. You can drive it when you keep revs below 2500rpm.

Workshop opened the fuel filter again and saw no problems and they have gone through all connections that they had to open during service. They do not know what is wrong.

Would anybody happen to have any ideas what could be wrong or where one should search the fault? I have new time for fault search next week with better diagnostic scanners.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I wonder if they've got the crankshaft/camshaft timing wrong. Although if they had I'm not sure you'd get a sudden cut-out at 2500rpm. I had a Nissan Sunny with the timing out by one tooth; it would be OK at low speed but just ran out of puff at 40mph.

Bob

·
Registered
76 Posts
I've known cars to be 1 or 2 teeth out on a timing belt and they'll run ok low down. The fact the garage changed the belt would instantly make me suspect a timing issue.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for your replies.

They said that they have locked the shafts and therefore the timing can not be wrong. But I am not so sure about this as you mention it too. It is interesting to see how this ends.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Morph said:
Sounds like it's gone into limp home.

But surprised at no fault codes.

Sorry I can't be of more help.
From experience, limp-mode wont let you go past 2000rpm, makes sounds and codes.
But it does let you run normally up to 2000rpm. Then it cuts the power off and you feel like you hit a wall.

Perpaps the OP needs to check placement of the timing belt at another place. Just to confirm that is has been installed correctly.
When I had mine changed, the car performed as it had earlier.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Belt timing checked and was OK. Next I have to take the car to Ford dealer for fault search. Two workshops has now raised they hands for this fault...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The Ford dealer said that the timing belt was too tight, so they replaced it again. At test run it worked fine until the fault came back. Now we are back in square one... Next will be study of electrical components. MAF has been replaced, no help to this fault.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Can someone with the same engine confirm that theirs revs over 2500rpm in neutral?

I know some diesel cars in the VAG group won't do this just wondering if it affects Fords too. If that is the case then it would suggest that the car thinks it's in neutral and restricting the revs with no fault code.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
KugaBuga said:
Can someone with the same engine confirm that theirs revs over 2500rpm in neutral?

I know some diesel cars in the VAG group won't do this just wondering if it affects Fords too. If that is the case then it would suggest that the car thinks it's in neutral and restricting the revs with no fault code.
If your car is manual then definitely it should rev over 2500.
If automatic, it should rev to about 2500 or 3000. I have not driven an automatic Kuga. My info might be off.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi,

Latest updates. It has been quite frustrating. The car has been at dealer for 6 weeks... They have tested electrics, some instruments, diesel nozzles and fuel pump, changed the fuel control valve. No fault has been found. They say that when car reaches 2300rpm then the fuel pressure starts to decrease.

It is interesting that during last week the workshop received second similar Kuga with same symptoms. Only thing that has been done to that car is that the fuel filter has been replaced. So most likely the reason is related to fuel system.

It is possible that when the filter is replaced the fuel filter housing has not been cleaned enough and some dirt particles has gone to somewhere where it is causing problems... New filter has been black from the lower part of the filter when they check it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi,

Update of the situation, in case somebody is interested. The fault has not been found. The other Kuga had failure in fuel pump, mine not.

After last post following has been done:
- Replaced fuel pressure measurement
- Replaced EGR valve
- Suspected that the cam chain (that connects cam shafts together) has jumped when belt was replaced--> opened the head cover and discovered that the chain was not jumped.
- Did compression test and discovered that 1st cylinder had 30-35% less compression --> removed cylinder head and checked by another workshop. Head and valves were OK. Afterwards they said it might have been faulty measured, since after this compression test was OK and still same symptoms.
- They replaced new injection nozzles, fuel pump and PCM and still no fault found (they will install old parts back). They even tried new throttle.

Still same symptoms and no fault codes and the revs are limited to ~2500rpm. They say that the fuel pressure starts to decrease at over 2300rpm...

Still it is nice to have 4x4 during winter, only if I could drive one...

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
One would assume that these workshops have determined that its NOT the PCM that's limiting the RPM, obviously for some reason.

How would the PCM normally limit RPM in practice? Limit fuel?

·
Registered
563 Posts
Possible pulled wire in one off the wires they had disconnected also wrongly fitted or damaged engine air filter could cause same find yourself a good mechanic with a brain instead off a computer he might find the fault .

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Finally result. It was turbo failure. Something has gone to turbo because there is damage in the air side fins.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sorry about last post, that information was before new turbo was fitted. The fault was not caused by turbo. The turbo was faulty but was not the reason for rev limit. The actual fault was crankshafts timing sensor's reluctor ring which was damaged in timing belt replacement. It was not visible in oscilloscope, the damage was so small. Now the car works fine.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts