Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Ford kuga 2014 2.0 180hp AWD
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi , it will be really helpful if any of you give some advice / help .
I own a kuga 2014 plate 2.0 AWD 180hp , I bought it 4 months back , within a month it had a flat battery one morning , AA team jump started it & said battery is good & doesn’t have to be changed . Still has the original Ford battery . A week later while driving it showed “ engine service now “ message & stalled while driving , it disappeared later when I restarted the engine . I took to EMG Ford kings Lynn who checked and said there’s nothing wrong with the car . Few days later while driving it showed multiple messages like “ hill assist not working , engine service now etc “ which didn’t make any sense and started to rev up automatically upto rpm 6 while I was driving . I took to EMG Ford again who checked and said engine loom has some fault and needs to be replaced which costs £1700 including labour . Car had 3 months dealer warranty and they did the job . Car was fine for 3 weeks and again the same problem has started . It started revving up while I was driving in the motorway with my wife and engine malfunction light was lit . I slowly reached home . The next morning battery was flat . AA came and jump started , cleared the codes. It drove ok then until 4 days back after driving for 30 minutes I could smell a burning wire smell . I stopped the car & opened the bonnet , I could smell it strong on the battery located side with a faint white smoke coming over it . I parked for 2 hours and drove & there wasn’t any problem. EMG Ford refused to accept it’s the same problem and told it could be a different problem & gave me an appointment after 2 weeks , still waiting for it. Meanwhile the car has been driving ok until yesterday when I drove for 45 miles and parked the car for 2 hours & when I came back the battery was flat , AA team jump started it & said battery is good !!! However as it 14 plate with original battery , we can change it and see .
my concern is , if it’s a battery problem or some electrical fault in the car . I have booked for a battery replacement today to see if it helps . Any of your advice / suggestions would be of MASSIVE help . Thank you in advance. Sorry for the long information.

Attachments

·
I am Batman!
Kuga ST - Manual 6 Speed - 200PS+ Petrol.
623 Posts
I'm pretty sure 99% it's the battery. My in-laws had various electrical faults and all gone since the battery was replaced even thought their car was a 2017 Renault Kadjar. I am surprised it lasted as long as it has to be honest - 7 years is a long time - usually need replacing on Kugas before 5 years so I've heard.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
I would also get the negative battery lead checked, where it connects to the BMS module, there have been quite a few occasions where this can become corroded causing lots of electrical issues.
7 years from a Kuga battery must be some sort of record!

Reactions: Jazz

·
Super Moderator and Mr Grumpy
6,706 Posts
Hi @Jazz and welcome to the forum. Please have a read here and enter your car's details in the signature box which will save you having to say what you have in the future.

Welcome to the Forum, Please Read | Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums

I ditto the above posts. With all due respect to the AA and RAC I have seen quite a few times where batteries are checked saying they are ok and then the problems disappear when the battery is replaced. An indication of the battery voltage showing 12 volts+ on a multi-meter is not how to check a battery. It needs a drop test done and if you took it somewhere like ATS who deal with commercial as well as cars, or a proper auto electrician they do a drop test on the battery which will indicate if it's good or not.

If your car has stop/start then an indication of the battery failing is if it stops working. Note this is only an indication and NOT a rule of thumb. If your car has stop start then make sure you fit a stop start battery.

I have seen batteries fail on 2017 cars.

One worry is the smoking. I would have queried exactly what Ford have replaced and where it's located. That could be linked or not. Hopefully replacing the battery will sort it. Don't forget to let us know and I reiterate my point if your car has stop start then it must have a stop start battery fitted. The one for our car is an EFB110.

·
Enjoying the VIN-YA-LEE
2,991 Posts
When they do a test I wonder if they are doing a high rate discharge test.
I guess not as the battery will be on the car and that test is the mother of all discharge tests, a bit like the Peter Kay sketch of dunking rich tea or hob nobs!

·
Registered
2015 Kuga Titanium 2.0 TDCi
79 Posts
I'd echo the other comments about the battery. Recently replaced mine in my 65 plate which was the ford original and I had all sorts of weird and wonderful electrical gremlins like you describe. Also had exactly the same on my focus when the battery was going on that.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm pretty sure 99% it's the battery. My in-laws had various electrical faults and all gone since the battery was replaced even thought their car was a 2017 Renault Kadjar. I am surprised it lasted as long as it has to be honest - 7 years is a long time - usually need replacing on Kugas before 5 years so I've heard.
Thank you so much for your advice SiJY

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would also get the negative battery lead checked, where it connects to the BMS module, there have been quite a few occasions where this can become corroded causing lots of electrical issues.
7 years from a Kuga battery must be some sort of record!
Thank you

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi @Jazz and welcome to the forum. Please have a read here and enter your car's details in the signature box which will save you having to say what you have in the future.

Welcome to the Forum, Please Read | Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums

I ditto the above posts. With all due respect to the AA and RAC I have seen quite a few times where batteries are checked saying they are ok and then the problems disappear when the battery is replaced. An indication of the battery voltage showing 12 volts+ on a multi-meter is not how to check a battery. It needs a drop test done and if you took it somewhere like ATS who deal with commercial as well as cars, or a proper auto electrician they do a drop test on the battery which will indicate if it's good or not.

If your car has stop/start then an indication of the battery failing is if it stops working. Note this is only an indication and NOT a rule of thumb. If your car has stop start then make sure you fit a stop start battery.

I have seen batteries fail on 2017 cars.

One worry is the smoking. I would have queried exactly what Ford have replaced and where it's located. That could be linked or not. Hopefully replacing the battery will sort it. Don't forget to let us know and I reiterate my point if your car has stop start then it must have a stop start battery fitted. The one for our car is an EFB110.
Thank you so much for your valuable reply . It makes a huge difference . I’ll be replacing my battery today . Shall update how it goes . Thank you once again for spending your valuable time in giving your suggestion .

·
Super Moderator and Mr Grumpy
6,706 Posts
Good luck @Jazz - Don't forget to post back and let us know how you get on.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I have a 2012 mk1kuga awd and still has the original battery (low mileage 55,000), just you watch, this winter it will fail me LOL :censored:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi dear friends , I had to wait for a week to see if problem reoccurs and so the delay for the update . I had the AA team who checked the battery and told its not in bad condition however I asked them to change the battery . He did a drain test and said that normally they have a range of 0.2 to 0.5 ( I don’t know the units ) and my car had a result of 0.55 & is above the normal range & wasn’t sure if there’s something in the car that’s draining the battery . I checked and I don’t have any I could think of that would drain . He changed to a new battery . It’s been more a week so far and I got no issues & is running perfect . Fingers crossed . Thank you so much for this wonderful club for helping & providing your valuable suggestions .

·
Update Ninja
Vignale 2019, Platinum White
3,798 Posts
If it was the original battery that was causing the problem, you should be fine, 7 years for a kuga battery is really good going

·
Registered
258 Posts
Had to change mine on the say so off breakdown man when i had lot's of fault's come up in August but not sure now it was the battery as i had never had a problem with it but it was the original so 7 year's old so it was possible it was time for a change. It is possible it was only the rear ABS sensor. We live and learn but nothing last's for ever.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts