Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've taken delivery of our Kuga a couple of days ago
(new 15 plate), one thing we have noticed however is when coming to a stop (either reversing or going forward) there is a knocking sound.

After some repeated slow going forwards, going backwards and stopping, (trying to pinpoint where the noise is coming) from it sounds like fuel sloshing around in the fuel tank.

should we be able to hear the fuel moving around in the tank like this ?, at the time the tank was full of fuel (per the fuel needle)

We've never heard this on previous vehicles (13plate Focus, nor the 11plate Fiesta before that.)

has anyone else experienced this and is it just one of those quirks that affects all Mk2 Kuga's

·
Registered
6,717 Posts
Some owners have commented about this before but in over 32000 miles I have never heard it even when emptying a tank in local miles, so the opportunity for it to manifest itself has been available.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I can sometimes hear sloshing in my tank.
It's a reasonably faint sound but there's a definite "bump" sort of noise as the liquid bounces off the walls of the tank - seems to happen mostly on fuller tanks.
I suspect it's to do with the tank being relatively high up and so the fuel gets more momentum than it would otherwise do in lower set cars.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Yes, it's a 'feature' on the Mk2. But you only hear it when the tank is full or near full.

·
Registered
6,717 Posts
It seems I have the vibration instead.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here is to hoping its only when the tank is near to full and i don't develop he vibration issue

·
Registered
6,717 Posts
I'm sure its unrelated to the vibration Scotty..

Edited by: Fillco

·
Registered
36 Posts
I get same noises on mine after i've filled the tank and the fuel level starts to drop.Had it on 2 Nisan Qashqai's as well. I think it's the float in the tank which gives the fuel level info to the fuel gauge. Must have same tank set ups.

Edited by: Shalaco

·
Registered
127 Posts
I have the fuel tank knock and engine vibration. And knackerd aircon,and scabby 19" alloys.
Not bad for an 18 month old car eh........Edited by: speedfreak

·
Registered
133 Posts
smoother breaking or louder music should eradicate noise from fuel sloshing about Ž¶”ˆ“£”ˆ

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi I drive a Ford Kuga Vignali2.0 ltr diesel the fuel consumption seemed very high a max of 37 MPG on long runs, I let the tank run low on fuel on filling the tank with diesel at the petrol station I heard a bang in the fuel tank and just couldn't understand what it could be, I reset the mileage gauge and drove off as I was driving i noticed the fuel gauge was registering better fuel consumption, The following day i took it for a run 17 miles out and 17 miles back it was now doing 45 MPG so the following day i did the same run and to my surprise it registered 45 MPG, I was wondering if it could have had an airlock in the tank, and the moment i am happy as a pig in muck, any ideas what it might have been, Thanks Kevin

·
Registered
870 Posts
Hi I drive a Ford Kuga Vignali2.0 ltr diesel the fuel consumption seemed very high a max of 37 MPG on long runs, I let the tank run low on fuel on filling the tank with diesel at the petrol station I heard a bang in the fuel tank and just couldn't understand what it could be, I reset the mileage gauge and drove off as I was driving i noticed the fuel gauge was registering better fuel consumption, The following day i took it for a run 17 miles out and 17 miles back it was now doing 45 MPG so the following day i did the same run and to my surprise it registered 45 MPG, I was wondering if it could have had an airlock in the tank, and the moment i am happy as a pig in muck, any ideas what it might have been, Thanks Kevin
Out of interest KB, what are the details of your Kuga?
150bhp/180bhp, 2WD/AWD?

I only ask as the fuel economy of my 2018 Kuga (2.0 180 AWD) has been rubbish (27-35mpg) since the day I got it and think I need "A Bang" in my fuel tank. LOL

·
Frequently posts gibberish!
2,444 Posts
All my mk2s have a loud sloppy fuel tank when full and doesn’t fade away till 3/4 to 1/2.

·
Registered
131 Posts
All my mk2s have a loud sloppy fuel tank when full and doesn’t fade away till 3/4 to 1/2.
sorry to disagree, mine does not do anything like this.

Chris.

·
Frequently posts gibberish!
2,444 Posts
I did say all MY mk2s, not all mk2s.

I love my vignale and he’s having a run to St Malo in France in a few weeks so he can stretch his legs.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Meant to say, yes, mine also does this when I fill the tank and can be heard until a quarter of a tank has been used.

Had it happen on the Mondeo MK4 before I had the Kuga too and the Ford Forums are awash with complaints about the issue or "The vehicle is working to designs intent" as Ford like to put it apparently.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I thought I was going.mad but I tanked my vingale up the other day and the sloshing noise from it and it was seeming to eat fuel . Very strange indeed.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I also noticed this and was a little concerned as I had seen a note on Honest John about something coming loose in the fuel tank. reading this thread has put my mind at ease a little and I'm noticing that the knocking is reducing as the tank empties!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts